Match Thread: Voyageurs Cup - Preliminary Round - HFX Wanderers v CS Saint-Laurent - May 2, 2024

15 minutes ago, Big_M said:

image.png.18de731b087b8536265b114935dc87f6.png

You know what, as terrible a moment as this is for HFX the sheer fact that this is the reaction is a good sign the club will really try to make people forget about that game and make sure it doesn't happen to them happen. Compare that to Valour yesterday, for example: with their coach trying to say the scoreline is not such a big deal...

In moments like those you want a reaction like the one of HFX's coach and not like Valour's. The former show that the club truly has a soul, so to speak, and that it has fight in it... Moments like this should hurt. You don't want to go through them but if you have to then you want them to visibly hurt the team as much as they hurt the fans.

^ dos santos should already be gone and gheisar should have a few more games to turn it around...or max until mid season

boughanmi was the best player on the pitch tonight...they need to sign a few more quality pro level players like him if they want any shot at beating toronto

2 minutes ago, Big_M said:

^ dos santos should already be gone and gheisar should have a few more games to turn it around...or max until mid season

boughanmi was the best player on the pitch tonight...they need to sign a few more quality pro level players like him if they want any shot at beating toronto

Real talk? I think that game more or less give TFC a spot in the semis. All the cup magic in the world won't make the different between a semi-pro side and an MLS one IMO, especially when its no longer one game but an home and away one...

Which is why I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand upsets are good for competition and generally welcome when it isn't my clubs but on the other it remove the one real possibility TFC could have gotten surprised before the semis...

2 minutes ago, phil03 said:

Real talk? I think that game more or less give TFC a spot in the semis. All the cup magic in the world won't make the different between a semi-pro side and an MLS one IMO, especially when its no longer one game but an home and away one...

Which is why I have mixed feelings on this one. On one hand upsets are good for competition and generally welcome when it isn't my clubs but on the other it remove the one real possibility TFC could have gotten surprised before the semis...

I don't think this version of HFX had any sort of realistic chance of upsetting TFC either.

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

I don't think this version of HFX had any sort of realistic chance of upsetting TFC either.

Perhaps, but an Impact fan could dream... With CS Laurent its just too much of a gap.

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I know some people dislike VAR but this game had has 3 goals involving 2 questionable PKs and a goal that apparently may have been offside.  

And the fans of the team that scored those goals were able to cheer them without the thought of "I wonder if 5 minutes from now this will still count".

Full disclosure, I haven't seen any of the game or highlights yet.