CONCACAF Nations League 2024-25 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

31 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Can someone explain how Puerto Rico can compete in these competitions? I see they have this ginger Wonderkid who signed with Real Madrid. Shouldn't he be playing for the US?

Only if

• he was born on the US mainland

• he had parents or grandparents born in the mainland USA

• he resided on the US mainland for more than a certain number of years

I don't know who you are talking about, but funnily enough, if the guy never actually lived in the 50 states &/or Washington DC and his parents weren't born there, he wouldn't be eligible.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Only if

• he was born on the US mainland

• he had parents or grandparents born in the mainland USA

• he resided on the US mainland for more than a certain number of years

I don't know who you are talking about, but funnily enough, if the guy never actually lived in the 50 states &/or Washington DC and his parents weren't born there, he wouldn't be eligible.

My question is isn't Puerto Rico relationship to the US similar to a French Guinea is to France. I always thought Puerto Rico is technically part of the United States

21 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

My question is isn't Puerto Rico relationship to the US similar to a French Guinea is to France. I always thought Puerto Rico is technically part of the United States

There are a bunch of FIFA 'nations' like this. Puerto Rico aren't the only ones.

Hell, even Greenland are trying to become a FIFA nation despite being part of Denmark.

Edited by narduch

3 minutes ago, narduch said:

There are a bunch of FIFA 'nations' like this. Puerto Rico aren't the only ones.

Hell, even Greenland are trying to become a FIFA nation despite being part of Denmark.

To me this is nonsense. If you're not an independent country you shouldn't be able to compete 

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Technically Wales, Scotland, England and Northern Ireland aren't independent countries either.

Right but isn't their excuse that their football federations were formed before Fifa

Edited by SpursFlu

3 hours ago, narduch said:

This is their squad. Have no clue about your question though.

Jeremy de Leon is the player with Real Madrid's youth system. Scored twice in the 8-0 win over Anguilla in June.

Leandro Antonetti is with Sevilla B's system, or was anyway.

Wilfredo Rivera is also a strong player and has featured in a dozen games for Indy Eleven this year.

All of the above are forwards lol. Anyway, they drew El Salvador in San Salvador which is more impressive than stomping Anguilla. I know they picked up a defender or midfielder that i'm forgetting.

Edited by Mihairokov

1 hour ago, Barthez-Battalion said:

I believe in theory Martinique, Guadeloupe and French Guiana could become FIFA members, but France has to sign off on that, which they won't do.

These three are full members of the French Republic, like Hawaii is to the US. Puerto Rico is not the same. It's more like French Polynesia or New Caledonia.

If Cuba can hang on for another 5 minutes (down to 10 men since late in the first half) and hold Jamaica to a 0-0 draw, that could be very helpful for us I think. Since we play the group winner with the highest number of points in the quarter-final, I wouldn't mind Jamaica not getting the maximum number of points from their first match at all.

17 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

If Cuba can hang on for another 5 minutes (down to 10 men since late in the first half) and hold Jamaica to a 0-0 draw, that could be very helpful for us I think. Since we play the group winner with the highest number of points in the quarter-final, I wouldn't mind Jamaica not getting the maximum number of points from their first match at all.

Currently we are third in the CONCACAF rankings so we would play the second best team from the group stage. The October rankings will be used.

39 minutes ago, Stryker911 said:

Currently we are third in the CONCACAF rankings so we would play the second best team from the group stage. The October rankings will be used.

Thanks! I thought it had already been decided, but I'm mistaken. The Wikipedia chart has us lined up with best ranked group winner, but I guess it's only because we're the first of the 4 quarter-finalists alphabetically and it's just a placeholder until the October rankings.

New take: In case we get the lower ranked group winner and that team comes from Group B, I'm still glad Jamaica dropped some points to Cuba. 😂 Jamaica's 3 remaining matches are in Honduras, in Nicaragua, and home to Honduras. They could still win the group of course, but a lower ranked team with a slightly easier schedule could find themselves in a pretty nice position by the time these 4 matches are done.

Edited by Neil R.

@Stryker911 & @Neil R. there is conflicting info.

The rules document says what you just said @Stryker911.

https://stconcacafwp001.blob.core.windows.net/media/5qsbolpb/2024-concacaf-nations-league-regulations-eng.pdf

However, the link below says that we were seeded based on our May CONCACAF ranking ( as @Neil R. implied).

On 5/23/2024 at 7:07 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

https://www.concacaf.com/nations-league/news/concacaf-announces-match-schedule-for-2024-25-concacaf-nations-league/

QF: Best-ranked seeded team (Mexico) vs Next second place (2A/2B)

QF: Second-ranked seeded team (United States) vs Best second place (2A/2B)

QF: Third-ranked seeded team (Panama) vs Next first place (1A/1B)

QF: Fourth-ranked seeded team (Canada) vs Best first place (1A/1B)

Today's results:
League A, Group A
Guadeloupe 2-1 Suriname
Martinique 2-2 Guyana
Guatemala 0-0 Costa Rica

League B, Group B
Curacao 4-0 Saint Martin
Grenada 1-2 Saint Lucia

League B, Group C
Haiti 6-0 Sint Maarten
Aruba 0-1 Puerto Rico

Guatemala's first point against Costa Rica in a competitive match since 2013 (they haven't beaten them competitively since 2005). Had the share of chances in the second half but couldn't convert. A very physical match and one i'm glad Canada didn't have to experience.