CONCACAF Nations League 2024-25 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

It looks like the 4 teams qualifying from League A will be ranked like this:

Best 1st place - Costa Rica (8 points, +6 GD)
Next best 1st place - Jamaica (8 points, +3 GD)
Best 2nd place - Suriname (7 points, +5 GD)
Next best 2nd place - Honduras (7 points, +4 GD)

So 2 of the quarter-finals should be Mexico/Honduras and Panama/Costa Rica. If we stay 2nd in the CONCACAF rankings, we play Suriname. If the USA overtakes us and we drop to 3rd, we play Jamaica. I'd like to see us stay 2nd. Let the USA face Jamaica. I'm hoping Mexico gets the result we need tonight for that to happen.

2 minutes ago, footballfreak said:

Is a draw enough to keep us second? Or does Mexico need to win?

USA need to win. If they draw or lose we stay second and face Suriname.

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I believe that we had players in the same boat getting screwed in the Octagonal, after we'd gone through the gauntlet of earlier qualifying, no?

I distinctly remember them getting waived.

3 minutes ago, blueseeka said:

Humor by Javi is back on the menu boys

Shafflehamburger

Hey it is Shaffelburg,  but we need it with more vowels we Spanish speakers find it more difficult the French surnames more more  harder than the German ones at times like De Fougerolles.

Too much vowels in a surname is also complicated.  

Spanish is like Japanese one consonant and one vowel working together to create a phonetic sound 

That's the beauty of it as Stella Artois 

Edited by JAVIERF

3 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

That's so bogus.  Why Haiti is so ahead in the ranking and playing in league B ,  

That's a farce.

We are only 10 countries we only use FIFA rankings , and  geographically Surinam should be playing against our boys not the CONCACAF boys 

Kudos for the info though 

On 5/26/2024 at 8:53 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Costa Rica 🇨🇷 tops the group easy with Suriname 🇸🇷 being the team who I see finishing runner up and Guatemala 🇬🇹 3rd.

Martinique 🇲🇶 ends up 4th.

Respect

Players Association Sport GIF by NBPA

@TGAA_Star correctly predicted the top 4 of the other group as well!

42 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

That's so bogus.  Why Haiti is so ahead in the ranking and playing in league B ,  

That's a farce.

We are only 10 countries we only use FIFA rankings , and  geographically Surinam should be playing against our boys not the CONCACAF boys 

Kudos for the info though 

CONCACAF kind of has to have it's own rankings (like UEFA does), because if it exclusively used FIFA rankings it would have no way to figure out how to seed teams like French Guiana, Martinique, Guadeloupe, etc. I think there are like 6 countries that are CONCACAF nations but not FIFA nations.

As for your Haiti question, we could say the same thing about England and their FIFA ranking. How are they 4th in the world but playing in UEFA Nations League B, and unlike Haiti they are not even top of their group! The answer is because they have gotten the results needed to be where they are.

The CONCACAF rankings are out for after the October FIFA window:

https://www.concacaf.com/rankings/men-s-national-team/

We are officially in 2nd place. Therefore, Suriname is confirmed as our opponent.

@maplebanana , your calculations seemed to be correct within a margin of error of +/- 1.5 points, so quite close. Part of that is undoubtedly not knowing our exact points total to several decimal places. Like, it's hard to know if for example, "1750" is actually "1749.51" or "1750.49". Nice work. :)

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

We are officially in 2nd place. Therefore, Suriname is confirmed as our opponent.

@maplebanana , your calculations seemed to be correct within a margin of error of +/- 1.5 points, so quite close. Part of that is undoubtedly not knowing our exact points total to several decimal places. Like, it's hard to know if for example, "1750" is actually "1749.51" or "1750.49". Nice work. :)

Thanks for the link to the rankings. So, the top 4 teams will play CONCACAF teams ranked 5, 6, 7 and … 14, which is Suriname. Not taking anything for granted, but I think Canada has done pretty well with that matchup.

BTW, I believe there was a bare-chested, scarf-waving @Olympique_de_Marseille sighting on OneSoccer during the Viking Clap. Brrrrrr, but well done, sir.

Edited by Treppy2
grammar

1 hour ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Woohoo! 

I think I derive more joy from this model’s accuracy than from my actual job. Oops. Happy Season 17 GIF by The Simpsons

8 minutes ago, Treppy2 said:

BTW, I believe there was a bare-chested, scarf-waving @Olympique_de_Marseille siting on OneSoccer during the Viking Clap. Brrrrrr, but well done, sir.

The undershirt, shirt and sweater all came right back on like 30 seconds later. I was cold. haha :D

Omar (the capo) is a machine though; he was in a t-shirt for the whole match!