CONCACAF Nations League 2024-25 - Group Stage & ¼finals - General Thread

3 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The undershirt, shirt and sweater all came right back on like 30 seconds later. I was cold. haha :D

Omar (the capo) is a machine though; he was in a t-shirt for the whole match! 

It was a lot colder than most expected in the south stands especially as the wind direction was N to S. The light rain didn't help although the late goal made up for it.

OK, so we have had 2 tournaments worth of group stages under this dumb system. I thought I'd figure out the average placing for each seeding. So if a team with a particular seed finishes 1st, that seed gets a placing of 1. If another team with that same seed finishes 5th, that seed gets a placing of 5. Average them out for that seed and you get a placing of 3. Here are the results.

1st seed = 2
2nd seed = 2.5
3rd seed = 4
4th seed = 4.25
5th seed = 3.25
6th seed = 5

So the 5th seed is overperforming. Not surprising since they get to play the bottom seed twice. I should note that 1st seed has actually finished in first place in 3 out of 4 groups. The one that didn't was Haiti last year, and they were the one team that didn't get to play any home games due to the country's instability. They finished 5th that year, which affected the 1st seed's placing score a lot.

On 10/15/2024 at 9:48 AM, MtlMario said:

When will we know the date of our first away game? Hopefully it's not Nov.15 (I'm out of town☹️).

Confirmed. Away match will be Friday, November 15th.

https://www.concacaf.com/nations-league/news/concacaf-confirms-2024-25-concacaf-nations-league-quarterfinal-and-play-in-matchups/

48 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks. So how is this to be interpreted, from the link:

"To determine the Semifinal matchups, the four participating teams will be ranked 1-4 based on the Quarterfinal results, with the team that accumulates the most points facing the team that accumulates the least points (1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3)."

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Thanks. So how is this to be interpreted, from the link:

"To determine the Semifinal matchups, the four participating teams will be ranked 1-4 based on the Quarterfinal results, with the team that accumulates the most points facing the team that accumulates the least points (1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3)."

To advance to the next round in California, you can either:

• Win your home and away match [6 points]

• Win either your home or your away match [4 points]

• Draw both your home and away match but advance on away goals [2 points] 

In the first two cases you can further sort teams by goal difference I guess 🤔 

15 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

To advance to the next round in California, you can either:

• Win your home and away match [6 points]

• Win either your home or your away match [4 points]

• Draw both your home and away match but advance on away goals [2 points] 

In the first two cases you can further sort teams by goal difference I guess 🤔 

@Unnamed Trialist
You could also win 1 and lose 1, and then win on away goals or a shootout. Like how Jamaica eliminated us last year. We each won a game and the aggregate score was tied 4-4. They advanced on away goals. Mexico advanced over Honduras by winning a shootout. Here is last year's ranking table. From it we can deduce they go by points, then GD, then GF. Not sure if it goes to away goals after that, or straight to coin flipping.

image.png.5ed54d6838602a6b2654c0c71590ce3c.png

8 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Anyone traveling to the game in Suriname will get a beer and a hot dog from me at the home leg.  That is if you can get back to Toronto in time.

I spent 4 months in Suriname +20 years ago.  It was amazing and would love to go back.  Had an unscheduled layover in Curacao on the way there which was nice, and one in Miami on the way back that was not so nice.

1 hour ago, kacbru said:

I spent 4 months in Suriname +20 years ago.  It was amazing and would love to go back.  Had an unscheduled layover in Curacao on the way there which was nice, and one in Miami on the way back that was not so nice.

That’s awesome.  Went to Curaçao for Nations League last year and had a great time.  Would love to go to Suriname and see what it’s like.

7 minutes ago, Neil R. said:

I wonder how @SurinamCol on Twitter feels about this matchup. Has anyone asked? 😂

I like this matchup for us. Before this edition of the Nations League began, if someone had said there was a potential pathway to the semi-final through Suriname, we would have instantly accepted that.

Hes acting like we’re all good friends lol 

Just to be clear, is it Los Angeles in March for semi finals and final?
That’s a long flight over from Europe for all players I guess. Slight advantage to Mexico since they’ll have more players within the time zone

having said that it’s a nice trip

22 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Just to be clear, is it Los Angeles in March for semi finals and final?
That’s a long flight over from Europe for all players I guess. Slight advantage to Mexico since they’ll have more players within the time zone

having said that it’s a nice trip

Correct. Only if we get past Suriname.