U21 Minute Tracker

Winners of the CPL U21 Player of the Year Award: Borges, Farsi, Hojabrpour, Rea, de Brienne
Finalists of the CPL U21 Player of the Year include: Abzi, Campbell, Loturi, Ferrari, de Rosario, Pacius, Poku

If the players above have not transferred out of the league they have become top players in the league. I'd say the U21 initiative is working entirely as intended.

14 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Winners of the CPL U21 Player of the Year Award: Borges, Farsi, Hojabrpour, Rea, de Brienne
Finalists of the CPL U21 Player of the Year include: Abzi, Campbell, Loturi, Ferrari, de Rosario, Pacius, Poku

If the players above have not transferred out of the league they have become top players in the league. I'd say the U21 initiative is working entirely as intended.

All of these players would have been important figures in their teams without a rule mandating their play. They were good CPL players at that time

It is easy to say that really good rookies deserve the minutes they got so don't need a rule, but maybe they don't get a chance to show how good they are without the rule?  There are probably a lot of rookies out there that would get stapled to the bench after a couple of inexperienced mistakes if the team wasn't forced to play them more.

1 hour ago, Mihairokov said:

1 hour ago, Aird25 said:

All of these players would have been important figures in their teams without a rule mandating their play. They were good CPL players at that time

Without the u21 rule some of these players would not have been scouted and/or given the minutes to prove they could start in the CanPL.

17 minutes ago, K Edgar said:

Without the u21 rule some of these players would not have been scouted and/or given the minutes to prove they could start in the CanPL.

Which one of them? I strongly disagree 

23 hours ago, Aird25 said:

I still hate this rule, and I haven't yet seen any evidence to suggest it's having any positive intended effects. Pacific's best players this season have been U21, but they weren't given minutes because of their age. They were given minutes because they were the best choice on a bad roster. I would have far rather supported a club that weren't bottom of the table though

Fair enough. By the same token and for the same reason, MLS teams shouldn't have to play Canadian players, people shouldn't be upset when they don't, and we should be removing the "mandatory minimum Canadians" in the Voyageurs Cup. After all, the best players will be given the minutes, regardless of their nationality.

The rule is good for growing the pool of Canadian players, but I'm sure that it is really there because the league sees the business opportunity of selling these players on when they show promise.   It is about the money and forcing the clubs to play along.

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Is it the same teams every season that struggle to meet this requirement?

Last year was York and HFX. This year York hit it no problem. Guess it will vary when teams that have prominent U21 players that become U22 and lose all those minutes

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC - 22 3,876 (+275)
York United FC - 23 2,504 (+77)
Vancouver FC - 23 2,293 (+291)
Forge FC - 23 1,761 (+81)
Valour FC - 23 1,677 (+46)
Atlético Ottawa - 23 1,664 (+90)
Cavalry FC - 23 1,627 (+32)
Halifax Wanderers FC - 22 1,408 (+117)

Forge - 47.8 minutes per game

Valour - 64.6 minutes per game

Ottawa - 67.2 minutes per game

Cavalry - 74.6 minutes per game

HFX - 98.7 minutes per game

Edited by rydermike

Pretty much every team has at least one starter quality U21 (or at least close enough) besides Forge and Cavalry. Forge had sold theirs (Poku) but Cavalry never really had one (Dias was a bust, Henry could have been but injuries sidelined him, Wright isn’t quite starter material despite early potential, now they’ve added Herdman but can’t see him walking into the starting eleven for any reason other than making up the 2000 minutes.