U-21 Minutes

5 hours ago, Kingston said:

2000 / 28 = 71.4 minutes per game.

Over the whole season, yes. From any given point in time, midseason (if that’s what you were after, MM) the calculation is (2000 - mins already logged) / (games remaining). For HFX right now that’s 1872/24 = 78 mins/game going forward and for PFC it’s 1235/23 = 53.7.  

Still early days. Once a team gets to the point where it needs north of 135 a game, then it gets sticky. 

This year, we'll easily get our minutes just by playing our best 11, fortunately. It sad knowing we'll have to ship players out and start another new cycle instead of building a solid squad though

Posted (edited)

Don’t know that that’s true. We just need to make sure that there’s one or two really solid U21 we can count on for the starting 11 for most games, and not out of charity. It was shaky for Gazdov at first but they committed to their belief in him and he’s a rock now. Ditto Sean Young before that. There are always going to be some players aging out or moving on regardless and as long as they have an Eric L, a Christian GT or a Sami K in the fire that can step in to the shoes of the departures and be solid they won’t need to dump the Gazdovs and Youngs as they age out of U21 status.  Done right it’s a slow cycle and you do end up with a solid home-grown squad.  I’m so much happier with PFCs youth strategy than Cavalry, Forge or Ottawa for whom the U21s seem like afterthoughts and subs for the most part. They have players with talent but they don’t give them solid starting minutes, and then they move on to a new crop and repeat. 

Edited by shorty

50 minutes ago, shorty said:

Don’t know that that’s true. We just need to make sure that there’s one or two really solid U21 we can count on for the starting 11 for most games, and not out of charity. It was shaky for Gazdov at first but they committed to their belief in him and he’s a rock now. Ditto Sean Young before that. There are always going to be some players aging out or moving on regardless and as long as they have an Eric L, a Christian GT or a Sami K in the fire that can step in to the shoes of the departures and be solid they won’t need to dump the Gazdovs and Youngs as they age out of U21 status.  Done right it’s a slow cycle and you do end up with a solid home-grown squad.  I’m so much happier with PFCs youth strategy than Cavalry, Forge or Ottawa for whom the U21s seem like afterthoughts and subs for the most part. They have players with talent but they don’t give them solid starting minutes, and then they move on to a new crop and repeat. 

I'm strictly basing that off history, not what could occur if done right. We've lost so many players after they aged out of the U21 rule that I half expect it for any player that isn't Island born and raised.

53 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

I'm strictly basing that off history, not what could occur if done right. We've lost so many players after they aged out of the U21 rule that I half expect it for any player that isn't Island born and raised.

I don't follow the ins and outs of the Pacific roster all that closely. What are some examples of this?

Posted (edited)

Binate is a recent example (though he was let go and didn’t age out). Can’t think of another at the moment. Might have forgotten some though. I would think they would spring to minor we had let go a whole bunch of former U21s. Verhoven, maybe? I do remember thinking at the time that we shouldn’t have let him go, but then I think it turned out that he had some other reason for leaving, if I recall. 

Edited by shorty

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

I don't follow the ins and outs of the Pacific roster all that closely. What are some examples of this?

It was more apparent in the early years but Campbell, Chung, Hojabrpour, Binate, Norman, Habibullah, Lee, Baldisimo, Polisi, Verhoven, Verhoeven, Hernandez etc all were players I imagine we would have tried harder to keep of they fit age bill

After Week 6

CPL Top U-21 Minutes

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC (6) 1,029 (+264)
Valour FC (6) 813 (+179)
York United FC (6) 653 (+90)
Vancouver FC (6) 442 (+34)
Forge FC (5) 307 (+155)
Cavalry FC (6) 285 (+90))
Halifax Wanderers FC (5) 198 (+70)
Atlético Ottawa (6) 161 (+1)

Current pace numbers 357 (5 games) and 429 (6 games)

by player (top 15)...

Player

Team

Contract

Starts

Subs

Minutes

Noah Abatneh

York

SPC

Emil Gazdov

Pacific

SPC

Eric Lajeunesse

Pacific

U SPORTS

Abdul Binate

Valour

SPC

Juan Pablo Sánchez

Valour

SPC

Lucas Dias

Cavalry

Loan

Kwasi Poku

Forge

SPC

Tiago Coimbra

Halifax

SPC

Gabriel Antinoro

Ottawa

SPC

Paul Amedume

Pacific

SPC

Joe Hanson

Valour

SPC

Elage Bah

Vancouver

SPC

Markiyan Voytsekhovskyy

York

SPC

Anthony White

Vancouver

SPC

Christian Greco-Taylor

Pacific

SPC

CPL Top U-21 Minutes

Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC (7) 1,309 (+280)
Valour FC (7) 954 (+141)
York United FC (7) 757 (+104)
Vancouver FC (7) 484 (+42)
Forge FC (6) 375 (+68)
Cavalry FC (7) 308 (+23)
Halifax Wanderers FC (6) 264 (+66)
Atlético Ottawa (7) 220 (+59)

Teams should be at 429 minutes (6 games) or 500 (7 games) to be on pace.

5 minutes ago, rydermike said:

Man, HFX is really in a bind. It'd be one thing if they were so far behind in U21 minutes, but at the top of the standings (or at least in a playoff spot), but they're so far behind and in last place

On the one hand, yes. On the other hand, if they aren't threatening the playoff spots, a points penalty is irrelevant, as is the performance penalty of throwing in a bunch of kids late in the season.

In a sporting sense it's sometimes better to be bad and local - a team full of local players who fill spots when the team is bad regardless - but it looks like HFX is neither of those things at the moment.

• 2 weeks later...
Club Total U-21 Minutes
Pacific FC -10 1,900 (+180)
Valour FC -10 1,282 (+58)
York United FC -10 1,259 (+100)
Forge FC - 9 704 (+104)
Vancouver FC -10 692 (+28)
Cavalry FC -10 496 (+96)
Atlético Ottawa -10 422 (+18)
Halifax Wanderers FC - 9 317 (+30)

Teams should be at 714 minutes (10 Games) or 643 (9 games)

Ottawa and Halifax both need to basically average one 90 minute U21 on the field per game until the end of the season. Both might able to get away with stacking those minutes in the final few games for opposite reasons (Halifax not in playoff contention, Ottawa likely in a comfortable position by then).