Thread for Questioning CPL Attendance Numbers 2024

Also no offical number yet for the Vancouver-Atletico game:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/9wipd8jdqit567k90b6j7cqvo/highlights

but questionable whether actual attendance (as opposed to a tickets distributed number) wound up being in four digits based on what was readily visible on showpass yesterday in the immediate run up to the game:

https://www.showpass.com/vancouver-football-club-single-ticket-2/

and can now be checked out in the highlights:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6x7LwKUJYWs

Since this is that thread I just have to say that was watching the Vancouver Ottawa game yesterday and it looked like a York United game unfortunately. Now I never got a look at the stands the camera was not showing . I’m hoping that that’s were all the people were . However, I physically counted  all the people I could see on the grassy slope behind one end , the stands the camera was showing and the stands behind one of the nets . I counted a few times and seriously my count came to about 250 people unfortunately. I’m hoping all the people were sitting on the stands the camera was not showing. However , looks like a nice intimate place to watch a game a perfect size for this league , if they were ever able to put a roof over those stands it would make it even nicer and keep more of the sound in . Hopefully they can one day attract more fans as the league grows because if that place is full it would have the potential to rival Halifax in terms of atmosphere and the way it looks on TV.

7 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

...Now I never got a look at the stands the camera was not showing . I’m hoping that that’s were all the people were...

If anything, it actually looked like there should be more people on the far side than on the camera side when I checked the showpass seat map maybe three hours before the game started. I guess there could have been a late rush of sales after that but I doubt it.

14 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Now I never got a look at the stands the camera was not showing . I’m hoping that that’s were all the people were . However, I physically counted  all the people I could see on the grassy slope behind one end , the stands the camera was showing and the stands behind one of the nets . I counted a few times and seriously my count came to about 250 people unfortunately. I’m hoping all the people were sitting on the stands the camera was not showing.

My (admittedly limited) experience is that the hard camera side is generally also pretty sparse. Behind the net is by far the busiest section.

5 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

My (admittedly limited) experience is that the hard camera side is generally also pretty sparse. Behind the net is by far the busiest section.

That’s good to know .

14 minutes ago, nolando said:

Someone working the VFC match Sunday told me there couldn't have been more than 1000 people actually there, fwiw.

I did not realize the Pacific away game at VFC was the same day as Miami's visit to Vancouver.  AFTN's podcast mentioned that some Pacific fans are planning to come over to do both, but that there's also VFC fans planning to skip that game to go to the Miami game, and it sounds like there's concerns over that attendance as well.

17 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I did not realize the Pacific away game at VFC was the same day as Miami's visit to Vancouver.  AFTN's podcast mentioned that some Pacific fans are planning to come over to do both, but that there's also VFC fans planning to skip that game to go to the Miami game, and it sounds like there's concerns over that attendance as well.

If Friend and co can change an already scheduled match to another city in another region, surely they can shift this match a day, no?

23 minutes ago, nolando said:

If Friend and co can change an already scheduled match to another city in another region, surely they can shift this match a day, no?

If there's legitimately Pacific fans planning around both (and I'm only going by AFTN), I sort of don't think you can at this late minute. It's more something that shouldn't have been set up in the first place (since MLS's schedule was out first).

13 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Why would you have to skip the game? One starts at 3pm and other at 7:30pm. I will be doing the double header.

10 minutes ago, masster said:

Why would you have to skip the game? One starts at 3pm and other at 7:30pm. I will be doing the double header.

They mentioned that people didn't want to deal with the hassle - that BC Place/traffic would be bad enough people were already deciding to skip the VFC game. Not that it couldn't be done, just that they'd heard people were opting not to do it.

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They mentioned that people didn't want to deal with the hassle - that BC Place/traffic would be bad enough people were already deciding to skip the VFC game. Not that it couldn't be done, just that they'd heard people were opting not to do it.

I looked at going to the Miami game, but ticket prices were hiked significantly, like 3 times higher than what I usually pay, so opted out. Will go to the VFC game at 3pm and then home to watch the Caps later in the evening (Hopefully, if its one of the few for the season that's on cable/TSN).

No official website number for Forge vs Vancouver so far:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/9xbzf95p0ec2p7jtfxdmaeiac/highlights

But hard to believe it could be over 2000 actual based on what was visible in the ca. 4000 seat block available to spectators opposite the camera unless the ca. 1100 mezzanine tier seats plus luxury suites on the camera side are much busier than that.

Ditto for Cavalry vs York at least on the absence of a website number so far:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/9xqisdw5b9jiq9qt4yipetyj8/highlights

Not one of their better crowds but would be easier to believe it's somewhat over 2000 actual if that is what has been or will be announced.

6 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

No official website number for Forge vs Vancouver so far:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/9xbzf95p0ec2p7jtfxdmaeiac/highlights

But hard to believe it could be over 2000 actual based on what was visible in the ca. 4000 seat block available to spectators opposite the camera unless the ca. 1100 mezzanine tier seats plus luxury suites on the camera side are much busier than that.

Ditto for Cavalry vs York at least on the absence of a website number so far:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/9xqisdw5b9jiq9qt4yipetyj8/highlights

Not one of their better crowds but would be easier to believe it's somewhat over 2000 actual if that is what has been or will be announced.

I was in the Club seats for the game yesterday and will say there are a significant amount of people in those sections.  I would guess another 1000 between the Club seats and mezzanine?  Still, my buddy goes to every game and says the crowds have definitely been down this year so far.  My guess for yesterday is about 3,500 bums in seats. 

2 hours ago, Ivan said:

I was in the Club seats for the game yesterday and will say there are a significant amount of people in those sections.  I would guess another 1000 between the Club seats and mezzanine?  Still, my buddy goes to every game and says the crowds have definitely been down this year so far.  My guess for yesterday is about 3,500 bums in seats. 

Was at the TFC game last night and saw a couple of Forge jerseys in the crowd. A solid 28000 in attendance last night easily the best attended game of the season , mind you the weather has sucked for most of the TFC home games this season , last night’s weather was one of the few nice weather games we have had so far. Sitting there in the stands I started thinking that if TFC can pull in decent crowds like this , surely the potential is there to realistically one day get crowds to a  6 to 10000 for Forge and even a York United on a regular basis  and even future places like a Windsor, London or a Kitchener. Let’s be realistic here yes the MLS is higher level but by not that much . We are not talking EPL level compared to say MLS level differences in levels of play here. Therefore, the interest in soccer is there the hard part is figuring out how to get those people to CPL games in greater numbers and on a more consistent basis .

31 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

Was at the TFC game last night and saw a couple of Forge jerseys in the crowd. A solid 28000 in attendance last night easily the best attended game of the season , mind you the weather has sucked for most of the TFC home games this season , last night’s weather was one of the few nice weather games we have had so far. Sitting there in the stands I started thinking that if TFC can pull in decent crowds like this , surely the potential is there to realistically one day get crowds to a  6 to 10000 for Forge and even a York United on a regular basis  and even future places like a Windsor, London or a Kitchener. Let’s be realistic here yes the MLS is higher level but by not that much . We are not talking EPL level compared to say MLS level differences in levels of play here. Therefore, the interest in soccer is there the hard part is figuring out how to get those people to CPL games in greater numbers and on a more consistent basis .

I thought about going to both, but getting to old for that, LOL!  I had seasons for both the first year of Forge but never did the double.

Posted (edited)

6413 announced with the Wanderers Ground obviously almost at capacity for Halifax vs Valour in the highlights:

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/9y5hdtfemadkpibvirm5z20ic/highlights

https://youtu.be/7JJqcFfMRPA?si=p0XnlXCi8em7x6U2

People avoiding being stuck with an obstructed view behind the floodlight pylons in the main stand being the only obvious gaps.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot