2024 CanPL attendance

3 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It blows me away that people follow Canadian soccer (CPL, MLS, national teams, Voyageurs cup etc) and don't subscribe to OneSoccer. They've given us something that we didn't have previously, decent coverage of this sport in Canada. We are so much better off than we were previously when relying on sketchy, pirated streams of our international matches.

I'm unusual in that I spend very little time watching "TV".  I have a subscription to TSN which I sometimes stream.  Between that and what is available free from places like CBC, I get a bunch of MLS games and national team coverage (plus CFL and whatever else might be on).  That's more than enough to cover the amount of time I have to dedicate to watching things on "TV".

Also, I support the CPL as a Canadian soccer fan, but I live in Kingston so I don't have a local team I cheer for.  I'm in the unusual position that I care that the league succeeds but I don't really care who wins the games.  About the only thing Onesoccer would give me that I'd like is Canadian Championship matches but that's not really worth it.

4 minutes ago, Kingston said:

I'm unusual in that I spend very little time watching "TV".  I have a subscription to TSN which I sometimes stream.  Between that and what is available free from places like CBC, I get a bunch of MLS games and national team coverage (plus CFL and whatever else might be on).  That's more than enough to cover the amount of time I have to dedicate to watching things on "TV".

Also, I support the CPL as a Canadian soccer fan, but I live in Kingston so I don't have a local team I cheer for.  I'm in the unusual position that I care that the league succeeds but I don't really care who wins the games.  About the only thing Onesoccer would give me that I'd like is Canadian Championship matches but that's not really worth it.

You get MLS and National team matches for free? I've never found a legal way to do that since Apple. 

It doesn't sound like you're unusual. It sounds like you're everyone else looking for the cheapest option to watch what they want.

35 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

It blows me away that people follow Canadian soccer (CPL, MLS, national teams, Voyageurs cup etc) and don't subscribe to OneSoccer. They've given us something that we didn't have previously, decent coverage of this sport in Canada. We are so much better off than we were previously when relying on sketchy, pirated streams of our international matches was the only option.

I would be interested to know what their deal is with Fubo, since that's how I get access to OneSoccer. I don't watch it often, but it's there when I want it.

19 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

You get MLS and National team matches for free? I've never found a legal way to do that since Apple. 

I get MLS matches on TSN.  Or sometimes when AppleTV has them on for free.  I sometimes get national team games on CBC, which is free, as well as stuff like the World Cup on TSN.  The TSN stuff I pay for.  The other stuff I watch when it's free and I have time.

2 hours ago, Kingston said:

I get MLS matches on TSN.  Or sometimes when AppleTV has them on for free.  I sometimes get national team games on CBC, which is free, as well as stuff like the World Cup on TSN.  The TSN stuff I pay for.  The other stuff I watch when it's free and I have time.

When was the last time you watched a national team game on CBC? World Cup and Copa America on TSN, that makes sense, but I think you'd have to go back pretty far for a national team game on CBC.

13 minutes ago, Kent said:

When was the last time you watched a national team game on CBC? World Cup and Copa America on TSN, that makes sense, but I think you'd have to go back pretty far for a national team game on CBC.

WNT maybe?  I don't honestly remember when it was last on CBC or remember exactly where I watched what, but I'm not into illegal streaming.  My main point was I'm not personally interested in Onesoccer just to get CPL games.  I'm sure other enjoy it.

5 minutes ago, Kingston said:

WNT maybe?  I don't honestly remember when it was last on CBC or remember exactly where I watched what, but I'm not into illegal streaming.  My main point was I'm not personally interested in Onesoccer just to get CPL games.  I'm sure other enjoy it.

I guess WNT in the Olympics might be what you are thinking of. I think also the Sinclair farewell game was put on TSN or something because CSB paid for it. I might have some details wrong.

On 10/10/2024 at 11:18 AM, Kingston said:

The other class are the people who might watch but don't even know the league exists.  If you're in TSN or CBC or Sportsnet, at least casual soccer fans will accidentally come across you while looking for something else.  No one is going to discover the CPL by accidentally subscribing to Onesoccer.

Casual soccer fans in Canada watch only World Cups, Euros and Canada women in Olympics.

Casuals don't watch club football ex TFC/CFM 2016 playoffs, 3 MLS Cup Finals with TFC and Concacaf Champions League Final with TFC. 

That's why 90%+ of club football shown in Canada are streamed/premium channels including by TSN/SN. There is a core base for the various leagues that will pay to watch but there hasn't been enough of them for any given league to make it viable on ad-supported tv. 

It's also not the 90s media world anymore. Being on tv isn't the magic elixir to discovery and popularity. You first need the product that casual are interested in watching. That's why none of the second tier and lower Canadian leagues/sports orgs shown on TSN/SN/CBC have attracted enough casuals to be paid for rights and production. 

CEBL started in the same year as CPL. Some CEBL games were on CBC and then TSN linear channels in most years. CEBL has also streamed all games for free in the most recent years. But it's average attendance hasn't eclipsed CPL in any year, teams have folded/relocated, social media engagement is 2-5x lower on major platforms and sponsorship base is lower in quantity and quality. 

NSL will offer another benchmark. They're also not getting paid for rights and production by CBC/TSN. Though, the major difference is that women have shown to be way less willingly then men to pay to watch sports. So, NSL needed to be on free tv even though CBC's main age demo of 65+ is diametrically opposite to NSL's main demo.

Edited by red card

4533 for Cavalry's final home game. Their attendance for the season is 4223, up 3% over 2023.

Every year there seems to be more reasons why people shouldn't show up (highest prices in the league, the CONCACAF debacle, shuttles being removed, etc) and eveyr year this club draws more and more people. Impressive.

By my count, with one week remaining the league has averaged 3969 fans per game. To average 4000, the league needs to have an average of 4830 for the final 4 games. Those games are hosted by Halifax, Ottawa, Valour and Pacific. Those host cities have a combined average of 4430 fans per game. So not impossible to get to the 4000 fans per game mark, but will take relatively big crowds for the final 4 games. Let's see what happens.

1 minute ago, Big_M said:

very doable since the home team has something to play for in three of the four games...hfx should get there too unless fans go on some sort of big strike

add to that that for hfx valour pacific its their last home game of 2024 as hfx is done and vfc pac cannot host a playoff game

9 hours ago, Kent said:

By my count, with one week remaining the league has averaged 3969 fans per game. To average 4000, the league needs to have an average of 4830 for the final 4 games. Those games are hosted by Halifax, Ottawa, Valour and Pacific. Those host cities have a combined average of 4430 fans per game. So not impossible to get to the 4000 fans per game mark, but will take relatively big crowds for the final 4 games. Let's see what happens.

Needing a 4830 average in the last four games means we need a total attendance of 19 320.

I could see Halifax being a near sellout and Ottawa also being similar to Halifax.  So say 13 000 between those two.  That would mean Valour and Pacific would need about 6300 between them or 3150 each.  As you say, certainly not impossible.

It's been pretty disappointing to see Pacific take a step back this year. Had a co-worker go to the Cavalry / Pacific game last weekend and he told me that it was a small crowd in the stands with no atmosphere. This is a club that has had success on the pitch and has one of the better game day experiences in the league.

Every game this year there seems to be a litany of excuses as to why people won't go, but Whitecaps play midweek and suddenly people come out of the woodwork to buy tickets. From afar it seems people just don't care about the club as much as they did a few years ago.

On the good news front, seems Halifax, Ottawa, Forge and Cavalry are still going strong and York are trending in the right direction. I expected Valour to bleed fans and they haven't appeared to do that. I don't know what to think about Vancouver FC but they drew more than last year when you exclude the Kelowna game so....

3 hours ago, shermanator said:

It's been pretty disappointing to see Pacific take a step back this year. Had a co-worker go to the Cavalry / Pacific game last weekend and he told me that it was a small crowd in the stands with no atmosphere. This is a club that has had success on the pitch and has one of the better game day experiences in the league.

Every game this year there seems to be a litany of excuses as to why people won't go, but Whitecaps play midweek and suddenly people come out of the woodwork to buy tickets. From afar it seems people just don't care about the club as much as they did a few years ago.

On the good news front, seems Halifax, Ottawa, Forge and Cavalry are still going strong and York are trending in the right direction. I expected Valour to bleed fans and they haven't appeared to do that. I don't know what to think about Vancouver FC but they drew more than last year when you exclude the Kelowna game so....

You put an awful lot of stock into a couple hundred fans either way.

On 10/16/2024 at 9:46 AM, shermanator said:

Yorks numbers dropped so low it was almost impossible to go anywhere but up, and even with the increase it's not a long term viable solution. 

I continue to have my doubts about the numbers actually attending Vancouver games.