2024 CanPL attendance

3 hours ago, Kent said:

Are we to assume through omission that Wanderers, Pacific, and Vancouver aren't up this year? Or just didn't grow each year?

The omission is because I think the teams I posted are the interesting ones for attendance this season. Halifax usually always sells out, Vancouver is so-so and hosted a big match elsewhere, and Pacific is down slightly IIRC 

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I feel like 4000 will happen. Beating the 1st year average will be tough but would be interesting if Ottawa were to host the final

The numbers I quoted don't include the playoffs (for sure not 2022 or 2023. I am pretty sure the others don't either but I would have to double check, and that might be a big project so I'm not doing that any time soon).

4 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I would be a tough thing to figure out but other than maybe an opening week.. I would think that was likely a weekend attendance record we just experienced. Must be up there

Definitely up there, but the last home game for Ottawa in the regular season in 2023 drew 7044, so just a bit more than this recent game.

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/envsmwehe7jyrvvh39dnmjv2s/highlights

Several playoff games have drawn bigger crowds. I don't know if there were any crowds in 2019 other than home openers that drew that much, but I would be surprised if there were any. I also don't explicitly now about 2021, but there were still restrictions and hesitancy that year so I don't think there were crowds that big, with the exception of the final, which drew 7488 according to Wikipedia.

Generally there's not much point in including playoffs in together with regular season attendances because the teams which host playoffs vary each season and the crowds can vary depending on who is hosting. Regular season is the most obvious comparison because everyone plays the same number of matches and they're consistent year-over-year, generally. 

As I always point out, there are also Canadian Championship and Champions Cup matches to include in these variables along with playoff matches. 

47 minutes ago, Kent said:

Definitely up there, but the last home game for Ottawa in the regular season in 2023 drew 7044, so just a bit more than this recent game.

https://canpl.ca/matchcentre/envsmwehe7jyrvvh39dnmjv2s/highlights

Several playoff games have drawn bigger crowds. I don't know if there were any crowds in 2019 other than home openers that drew that much, but I would be surprised if there were any.

I used to keep track of the attendance until I got frustrated with how difficult it was to find consistent numbers.

In 2019, the biggest crowd outside of openers was 7152 in Hamilton for the last game of the spring season.  Winnipeg (3) and Hamilton (4) also had some games in the 6000s.  (As did Halifax, of course.)

3 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Generally there's not much point in including playoffs in together with regular season attendances because the teams which host playoffs vary each season and the crowds can vary depending on who is hosting. Regular season is the most obvious comparison because everyone plays the same number of matches and they're consistent year-over-year, generally. 

As I always point out, there are also Canadian Championship and Champions Cup matches to include in these variables along with playoff matches. 

Another big part of playoff attendance is how much time teams have to sell tickets. For the only playoff match that has Pacific hosted, there were only like 2 or 3 days to sell after the regular season standings were decided. It may have been a midweek match too. I have no clue who decided that was a good idea. A real missed opportunity to sell the place out again 

16 hours ago, Kingston said:

I used to keep track of the attendance until I got frustrated with how difficult it was to find consistent numbers.

In 2019, the biggest crowd outside of openers was 7152 in Hamilton for the last game of the spring season.  Winnipeg (3) and Hamilton (4) also had some games in the 6000s.  (As did Halifax, of course.)

Those Valour crowds that first season... I don't think attendance dipped under 4000 until the final match when Rob Gale and the boys had well and truly beaten any hope and joy out of the fan base.

18 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Those Valour crowds that first season... I don't think attendance dipped under 4000 until the final match when Rob Gale and the boys had well and truly beaten any hope and joy out of the fan base.

Yeah, they averaged 5000 that year even if you remove the opening day crowd of over 10 000.

Back to back big "weeks", although it should be noted this comes after back to back bad weeks. For the 4 games that finished with Aug. 30th Forge v Pacific it was 5063 average, and for the next 4 games (finishing on Sept 6 with Vancouver v York) it was 4968 average.

image.png.1f468f66c40243c7aa466294fc569aaf.png

Through 21 weeks, 2022 has the highest average attendance in 2 of the weeks, 2023 has the highest in 8 weeks, and 2024 has the highest in 11 weeks. The 2024 average is currently at 3993.

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

Back to back big "weeks", although it should be noted this comes after back to back bad weeks. For the 4 games that finished with Aug. 30th Forge v Pacific it was 5063 average, and for the next 4 games (finishing on Sept 6 with Vancouver v York) it was 4968 average.

image.png.1f468f66c40243c7aa466294fc569aaf.png

Through 21 weeks, 2022 has the highest average attendance in 2 of the weeks, 2023 has the highest in 8 weeks, and 2024 has the highest in 11 weeks. The 2024 average is currently at 3993.

Thanks for doing this.

The difficulty is that, in a league this small, it matters a lot which teams had a home game that week.  Still, the overall trend as indicated by how many weeks each season "won" is very useful (and encouraging).

Edit:  I scoped ahead on the schedule to look for a block with home games for Forge, Ottawa, Halifax, and Cavalry but I'm not sure how your "weeks" line up.

Edited by Kingston

Per a recent article in Business Calgary magazine, Cavalry have around 2700 season tickets. IIRC they had around 1800 that first year and that number has been going up by a few hundred each year. 

Considering how much people complain about the ticket prices, they are getting more and more butts in seats each year and are keeping every penny that comes through the gate. 

No description available.

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

Thanks for doing this.

The difficulty is that, in a league this small, it matters a lot which teams had a home game that week.  Still, the overall trend as indicated by how many weeks each season "won" is very useful (and encouraging).

Edit:  I scoped ahead on the schedule to look for a block with home games for Forge, Ottawa, Halifax, and Cavalry but I'm not sure how your "weeks" line up.

The biggest "week" of the season had hosts of HFX, Cavalry, Valour, Forge.

There aren't any "weeks" coming up (or possibly all year, I didn't look at other past weeks) with the 4 best attended teams hosting all 4 games. The closest we get is week 23 with HFX, Pacific, Cavalry, and HFX again, as well as week 25 with Forge, Cavalry, Ottawa, Valour.

And yes, I agree completely that this isn't the best metric for attendance tracking. Just something different. I am most interested in the team by team changes from season to season, and of course the league average as well.