2024 CanPL attendance

On 6/9/2024 at 1:00 PM, SpursFlu said:

I personally never understood why anyone would pay twice as much to sit in one place when for half the price you can stand and kinda go wherever you like 

Not sure about other venues, but at Valour home games, the premium seats include access to The Pinnacle Club. The Pinnacle Club provides Free popcorn, private bars and washrooms and is indoors. Steep price, but definitely more than just a better seat. 

16 hours ago, CDNFootballer said:

Another great crowd in Ottawa for todays game, 5640 announced.

Ottawa is now up more over last season through six home matches

2023: 4,731
2024: 4,877

Only last year's home-opener and season-ender had more people than yesterday's crowd.

Edited by Mihairokov

1 hour ago, shermanator said:

Attendance for Vancouver vs Cavalry in Kelowna: 6281

Statement crowd. Congrats to all involved in organizing. Massive success even if the scoreline wasn't great. Entertaining game.

Whether this would happen every other week, not sure but looks good for a team there. Pitch was narrow but looked great. 

I have no idea of the actual number, Rob Friend said in the opening address that there were over 5k... and then they announced 6,2XX as the actual total in the 2nd. 

But it was packed in the pouring rain.  I dont think that stadium could hold any more.  it was mostly general admission and people were walking the track looking for seats right up to halftime as the bleachers were all full, and then they started climbing an embankment behind one of the goals and sitting there.  People were 4 deep standing around the sidelines on the track

I was pretty skeptical about the turnout they'd get with not much lead time, limited promotion and a poor facility.

Pretty blown away that many came out.

Was hard to see as there is really only one proper stand but that kind of turnout was pretty darned impressive.  if the city is willing to support a proper stadium someone will put a franchise here after that I'd guess.  Nicely done kelowna

Edited by Footscray

27 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Attendance for York vs Pacific: 844

It was close to 40C in Toronto yesterday with showers in North York. Midweek at York Lions is a very bad idea as it's in the middle of nowhere. They need to move, which will happen

8 minutes ago, Kingston said:

Kitchener would be a good choice. 

Seems pretty clear that the owners are dead set on Toronto. Hopefully Woodbine with a partnership with Canada Soccer for the national team training grounds. This is still being planned according the the heads at the CSA, confirmed by them on Footy Prime podcast

Toronto can easily work but location matters a lot and with MediaPro being out, CPL will be able to get more mainstream awareness & exposure. I'd advise against the downtown core (TFC grounds and more people live in North York & Etobicoke than the Old Toronto). Both areas are being linked by the Finch West LRT set to open soon and Woodbine GO coming soon with future direct link to the airport, downtown and Eglinton Crosstown - Woodbine would be ideal since around 60k people are planned to be living on the new redevelopment for Woodbine

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, narduch said:

Woodbine is dead.

They should be working with the NSL team on a 5k stadium 

The plan that was presented will most likely be different. The land is still set aside for a stadium and everything seems to be up in the air on all fronts - logically, Woodbine would still be very attractive not having to worry about land.

As of for NSL - City hall is said to be looking into revamping Lamport for them. Not sure being this close to TFC is a good idea for York United and how much improvement can be made to the stadium unles the NSL club sink a considerable amount of cash into the project

The CSA seems to prefer Toronto for the new training grounds, hopefully it's Woodbine but that should be York United's focus

Edited by Ansem

2 minutes ago, Ansem said:

The plan that was presented will most likely be different. The land is still set aside for a stadium and everything seems to be up in the air on all fronts.

As of for NSL - City hall is said to be looking into Lamport for them. Not sure being this close to TFC is a good idea for York United.

The CSA seems to prefer Toronto for the new training grounds, hopefully it's Woodbine but that should be York United's focus

The City mentioned Centennial too.

Going to be hilarious when the NSL team also plays at York Lions in 2025

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Rob Ford stadium - that's funny! Transit/accessibility-wise, it's a terrible choice. You might be right, they could end up at York Lions in the end

5 hours ago, Ansem said:

Seems pretty clear that the owners are dead set on Toronto.

I wish them well.  I mean that sincerely.   If the CPL can float a financially self-sufficient franchise in the GTA, I would be very happy.  Personally, I don’t see it over any timeframe about which we can meaningfully comment. I would, however, be happy for this to be one of the times I am proven wrong.

Any news on Halifax attendance from last weekend?  I wasn't there but saw the game on OneSoccer and it was the smallest crowd in a while, with steady rain being the major factor.  I would guess it was 80% full so about 5,200, but there were likely quite a few season ticket holders who didn't show, so if they are included in attendance numbers, the official attendance might be more like 5,600 or so.  

20 hours ago, narduch said:

Yeah, this almost seems like a guarantee at this point. Lamport won't be ready, if the City even does anything for it, and the others would be so bare-bones that they'd likely be better off at York at the foreseeable future. I'm a big proponent of CPL moving more into the city but none of those stadiums currently offer the things that York does, like professional changing rooms and offices. Wish the NSL luck but I highly doubt they end up at Lamport by next spring.

Woodbine is surely dead by this point, and that location would be worse than York anyway.