2024 CanPL attendance

Through four home league matches Ottawa is up ~400 people/game over 2023, and they've hosted two additional CC matches this year which they didn't host last year. I'm expecting a decent crowd tomorrow - last year's equivalent match garnered 5,058.

19 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Impressive numbers for 2 months in. Coming into summer and end of other sports seasons they’ll likely grow as well. 

They're down from last year, and that includes an increase in York attendance and some highly questionable numbers from Vancouver.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Watchmen said:

They're down from last year, and that includes an increase in York attendance and some highly questionable numbers from Vancouver.

I've noticed you being a hater a few times. What's your deal? Are you a CPL fan or just trying to stir the pot?

Edit* ok no problem. I see you all over the Whitecaps thread. Now I get your motivation. Got it

Edited by SpursFlu

On 6/2/2024 at 11:01 AM, SpursFlu said:

I've noticed you being a hater a few times. What's your deal? Are you a CPL fan or just trying to stir the pot?

Making observations doesn't make one a hater. Having said that, I think it's more a mixed bag than just down overall. Forge and Cavalry are somewhat down from last year, by the official numbers and by my eye at games. Pacific has clearly had lower attendance.  On the flipside, Ottawa's attendance has been good and Halifax holding  and maybe even up slightly in spite of terrible results.  The other three are more difficult to tell. No official number for Valour on that graphic, and York and Vancouver's numbers are hard to judge from official data or visuals.

Through the first 28 games in 2023 the average attendance was 3702. Through the first 26 games (games 27 and 28 not reported yet) the 2024 average is 3652. Down, but less so than I thought it would be before I calculated to be honest.

Posted (edited)

Looking on ticketmaster (counting blue dots lol) and it looks to be a good crowd at the Valour game. The centerline sections look "empty" though. Hard to believe they're charging $60 for those sections and $37 for the sections next over. What are other clubs charging for their "premium" seats and is it affecting attendance as much as it seems it does for Winnipeg?

Edited by PegCityCam

Posted (edited)

I've noticed that visibly at Pacific matches as well. Mostly empty middle sections with full(er) side sections next to them. If you ever see this at an event it means they messed up pricing the sections because one is far more accessible than another and they likely misjudged their purchasing base. 

Edited by Mihairokov

6 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Looking on ticketmaster (counting blue dots lol) and it looks to be a good crowd at the Valour game. The centerline sections look "empty" though. Hard to believe they're charging $60 for those sections and $37 for the sections next over. What are other clubs charging for their "premium" seats and is it affecting attendance as much as it seems it does for Winnipeg?

Vancouver is $50-60 for the middle 3 sections on the bigger west side and they are less full than the outer sections.

I am starting to wonder if they are trying to drive page views to canpl.ca by not reporting the attendance on there, so nerds like me keep going back to check and they get another view. Only 2 of the last 11 games have attendance reported at the moment.

Attendances from last week per the league website:

• Halifax vs Pacific - 6034
  • Cavalry vs Forge - 4691
  • Valour vs Ottawa - 4750
  • Cavalry vs Valour from May 26 drew 3395

Current averages and YoY to 2023:

• Atletico Ottawa - 4725 (-5%)
  • Cavalry - 3739 (-9%)
  • Forge - 5024 (-6%)
  • HFX Wanderers - 6123 (+5%)
  • Pacific - 2981 (-8%)
  • Valour - 4506 (+46%)
  • Vancouver - 3120 (+12%)
  • York - 1472 (+19%)
  • League: 3818 (down from 3823)

Feels like the weaker teams are improving and the stronger teams are regressing.

I don't know how much value there is in comparing to-date 2024 versus full-season 2023, at least yet. 

To say nothing of the teams who hosted Can Champ matches this season which didn't last season and vice versa. If you add two additional matches to some teams which they didn't have last season they're of course going to see flatter crowds in league play as crowds are spread out over more matchdays.

6 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

I don't know how much value there is in comparing to-date 2024 versus full-season 2023, at least yet. 

To say nothing of the teams who hosted Can Champ matches this season which didn't last season and vice versa. If you add two additional matches to some teams which they didn't have last season they're of course going to see flatter crowds in league play as crowds are spread out over more matchdays.

My hopes have always been that the Canadian Championship could bring more eyeballs to the CPL teams and ultimately help attendance. I hope your assertion that Canadian Championship games hurt CPL regular season attendance is wrong. If anyone feels inspired to see if there is any truth to this by comparing whatever data points we have so far, it would be interesting to see.

For me, the only way that Canadian Championship matches will have impacted attendance for CPL matches this year is that the big crowd of school kids Forge had for Montreal would have been a big crowd of school kids for a CPL match had they not advanced in the cup.

Updated numbers. Just like before, this doesn't include the last 3 games yet since I need 1 more game to make a 4 game segment. The last 2 weeks have been stronger than the 2 previous years. Encouraging to see after a bit of a slow start to the season.

image.png.2978cf47d3645c7c7a30e7ab4fe25b8e.png

7 minutes ago, Kent said:

I hope your assertion that Canadian Championship games hurt CPL regular season attendance is wrong.

I think "hurt" would be the wrong word. If a team plays four home matches through two months in 2023 and suddenly plays six home matches in that same two months stretch in 2024 is it difficult to imagine that that crowd total is spread over those six instead of those four? It's simply that they have more dates to fill and their crowd total has more dates to be spread over.

It's an inexact science but if we're saying X team is down 23v24 through the same number of League matches and wondering why I think it's important to consider all matches they are hosting. 

36 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

I think "hurt" would be the wrong word. If a team plays four home matches through two months in 2023 and suddenly plays six home matches in that same two months stretch in 2024 is it difficult to imagine that that crowd total is spread over those six instead of those four? It's simply that they have more dates to fill and their crowd total has more dates to be spread over.

It's an inexact science but if we're saying X team is down 23v24 through the same number of League matches and wondering why I think it's important to consider all matches they are hosting. 

Yeah, I understand your logic, and it is plausible. That's why I just said I HOPE your theory is wrong, rather than saying it is wrong. I don't know if it is correct or not. Until someone digs up the numbers, it's tough to know for sure.

I'm going to wait until closer to the half way mark of the season to see where we are at before evaluating the numbers.  Most teams only have a small number of home games so far which means one good or bad game can still really skew the average.

We also seem to get a slight rise in attendance in the second half of each season so checking things at the half way mark is a reasonable spot to take a value.