Road to Colombia - 2024 u20 World Cup

On 9/1/2024 at 2:37 PM, red card said:

If the original decision is changed, the team retains the number of requests... 

On 9/1/2024 at 2:37 PM, red card said:

...Requests are for obvious errors such as goal/no goal, penalty/no penalty, direct red card or mistaken identity.

So @red card what happens when you only partially win a request?

Fiji placed a request against Canada, presumably because they thought Collin's high boot was a red card offence.

But after review, Collin only got a yellow....so does Fiji get their appeal request card back? Or is it forfeited because it was not a red card offence?

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Ugh, I just checked the guide and it looks like the game is on TSN 2 (NFL, CFL, and US Open on the other 4 channels). I assume TSN subscribers will be able to watch it on the TSN app after the game has finished? Anybody know how that works?

16 minutes ago, Colonel Green said:

Classic Canada junior team game.

Agreed. Disjointed when physically and mentally pressed. Lack of cohesion at transfer. Always hard to implement plan B let alone plan C (coach included). And……every throw in was a torture.

I see Chuckwu has a cool mind and energetic build, like her chance to be succeeded. 

Olivia Smith can’t play at wings. A wasted talent on a wrong position.

16 hours ago, Ed_S said:

Our right back is really not up to the level of the rest. 

Sadly I agree. Both Archibald and Ottey were outmatched most of the night down the wings. Didn’t like Plourde’s decision-making much either. I did think Fernandez-Gray played pretty well, Smith did all she could out of position and with the service she got, and Okeke (sp?) had a Kadeisha Buchanan vibe about her, but otherwise Canada was mostly outmatched for skill, speed of thought and movement when the pressure came, and composure on the ball when there was space. 

Edited by shorty
Kadeisha not Keisha

These words of Shorty "Canada was mostly outmatched for skill, speed of thought and movement when the pressure came, and composure on the ball when there was space" is exactly the difference that Brazil brings to the pitch.  Our Coaches should set these as what to achieve and select really tough ladies based on it and not based on political pressures.

47 minutes ago, The Ref said:

These words of Shorty "Canada was mostly outmatched for skill, speed of thought and movement when the pressure came, and composure on the ball when there was space" is exactly the difference that Brazil brings to the pitch.  Our Coaches should set these as what to achieve and select really tough ladies based on it and not based on political pressures.

I have a former student who plays for PFC and who was used as a training player when the senior WNT came to town to play Australia, and he said he was blown away / impressed with how high the level is for the WNT on all of these things (pace, movement, precision) -- so good for a young man to see that for so many reasons that I won't go into here.  My point is, though, that it would seem to be a youth program issue, and not just on the women's side.  We really need to up our game for the youth -- men and women -- to the point where an 18-year old professional player is not surprised at the level of expectations within a national set-up.

Canada will play Spain in the R16. Spain is undefeated and has conceded no goals. But they have struggled to score with only 2-0 victories over Morocco and Paraguay. Win over US was kept to 1-0 due to US keeper saves and some lethargic stretches of play in hot Cali conditions. It will be the third city Canada will be playing in while Spain continues to play in Cali.

If Canada had finished second, it would have been a winnable match vs Netherlands who only defeated Costa Rica 2-0, tied Argentina 3-3 and lost 2-0 to North Korea.

Looks like match will be on Wednesday at 1730 EDT.

Mexico gets US in a replay of the Concacaf title match that Mexico won. Colombia meets South Korea. And what most have said is the best performing team so far, North Korea will play Austria. Second best Japan will play Nigeria.

Of the R16, there are 2 from CAF, 3 each from Conmebol/Concacaf/AFC and all 5 from UEFA. The worst team was Fiji. Then there is a cluster vying for second worst between Costa Rica, New Zealand and Australia. Not a good tourney for antipodeans.

18 hours ago, red card said:

Mexico gets US in a replay of the Concacaf title match that Mexico won. Colombia meets South Korea. And what most have said is the best performing team so far, North Korea will play Austria. Second best Japan will play Nigeria.

North Korea, what is up with them? Saw some highlights and NK is smashing it.  Is it like the Taiwanese little league team fielding overage players?

Doesn't look like the R16 Canada vs Spain game is on any of the TSN channels in my Telus package, just TSN+, their streaming service.

TV schedule via Telus doesn't show it, but tsn.ca video schedule has the game on TSN5 after all. 

Edited by Ed_S

4 hours ago, Soro17 said:

North Korea, what is up with them? Saw some highlights and NK is smashing it.  Is it like the Taiwanese little league team fielding overage players?

I would guess it's an overage players situation but I don't know if there is any evidence out there for that or not. As for circumstantial evidence...

Women's team World Cup record.

image.png.6b786bec694892dcfb32eae3a3895fd7.png

U20 Women's team World Cup record.

image.png.c3406b5fad1d637cceead7a7bcd3287d.png

U17 Women's Team World Cup record.

image.png.acd635e0bcf8467b897769da258f7934.png

Much better results in the youth tournaments than in the senior level.

Should be an interesting match and I think Canada could surprise.

Spain has dominated rivals, but has not been effective scoring. Like vs the States, they really rolled over them, but got a single goal. If Canada keeps the block tight, and does not make mistakes, they can keep it close and find a way to score and make something of it. Obviously possession will go one way, but it seems the Spain block can be contained, thought that will mean a lot of discipline. 

Think it's very close to how I called it, Spain dominating positionally but Canada with chances. If we didn't have so many naive players we could punish them. Watson is very good, Okeke beside her I find slow to react. Olivia Smith a lot to handle, close to getting decent shots. 

Our keeper is solid today.

Our possession they say has been better than theirs which surprises me. 

0-0 m. 58.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist