Friendly match: Canada vs Mexico - Tuesday, September 10th - 8:30pm Eastern / 5:30pm Pacific - Arlington, Texas

4 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

That was a hard match to watch....foul, foul, foul, stoppage, stoppage, stoppage...

Both teams were neutralizing each in the middle of he field.

Mexico actually did a good job of pinching the wings imo.

It was hard to watch but it was an excellent tune up for us.  The tactical fouling is something that you need to do deal with in an effective manner.

Mexico did very well to disrupt the game and not allow Canada to play with our superior talent.  In times past, it would be Canada playing the role of Mexico to scrap out a result and in the end, they actually ended up with more chances than us.  However, I have no doubt we are a superior team to Mexico these days and like many have said already, this is the first time, I've truly been disappointed with a draw against Mexico.  For the first time, it felt like we were expected to leave with all 3 points.  Despite this, it was a great international window overall, especially considering some of the names missing and some of the dual nationals capped.  It's great that we are able to integrate new players without risking the results of the games as well.  Marsch continues to impress me more and more each day as well.  I'm looking forward to watching our boys play live next month against Panama.

St Clair - Had a couple of great saves and did everything that was expected of him.  He did a great job coming out and making a save on Huerta who was in alone on him.  He also had a fantastic reflex save on Alvarado's volley as well.  His distribution could still use some help but I was never too concerned with the ball at his feet like I have been in the past.

Davies - Another excellent defensive game from Davies for me.  Won most of his duels once again.  He's not going to stand out in all of these games when tasked with these defensive responsibilities but I love this new Davies.  He's definitely putting the team first.  Also had a nice block off his back late and then the camera's zoomed in on him and he looked like a true leader talking to his players right after and getting them set up for the corner.

Cornelius - Another solid performance from Cornelius.  I have always been supportive of Kamal's performances for Canada but Cornelius seems levels above him currently under Marsch.  Won most of his battles as well and continues to impress with his distribution.

Bombito - Looked exceptional at times but did have a couple shaky moments last night as well.  His speed and strength were able to negate the damage on the few errors he had.  His distribution can improve but still overall very strong game.

Laryea - I thought he was overall strong once again.  Solid defensively and able to contribute further up the field as well.  Best two game stretch I have seen him for club or country in quite some time.

Millar - I thought he was overall good.  He was one of the few players yesterday that made most of their passes.  Works hard and helps Davies out relentlessly.  Still needs improvement on crosses and unfortunate on his missed shot.

Eustaquio - I thought he had another excellent game once again.  Just such a consistent player for us at a top level.  His passes were a bit off sometimes but was winning duels throughout the midfield and had some great blocks and interceptions as well.  He had an exceptional pass over the top to put Millar through in on goal after a great passing sequence with Ahmed, Osorio & Larin.

Choiniere - I thought he had another solid start for Canada but I don't think he was exceptional yesterday.  But, he did control the midfield with Eustaquio and you definitely felt the loss of him in the midfield when he was subbed out.

Ahmed - I thought he had another great game last night.  He is dangerous out wide but he is also able to help our midfielders in the middle as well.  He put in a great cross for Larin on the late 1st half opportunity.  Very versatile player and he continues to reminds me a bit of Laryea. His passing overall wasn't great but most of our team misplaced many passes.  Ahmed, Choiniere & Eustaquio completed less than 70% of their passes combined last night. Hopefully Vanni has been watching our games.

Osorio - I thought he was overall solid.  Had some great tight dribbling and passing but didn't get into the game enough at times.  Was involved in some great passing sequences and had a great cross field pass that led to a rare opportunity.  

Larin - Although the goal still eludes him, he continues to do all the other things right.  The header was fantastic and the save on it even more exceptional.  But his hold up play is still elite.  The chance where he laid it off first time to Eustaquio who put Millar in on goal is a great example.  He's also such an important piece to our defensive set pieces.  The combination of him, Bombito and Cornelius have done exceptionally well in the air defensively.

David - Not one of his best performances as it was really hard for him to get into the game.  Seemed to be playing further back than normal which makes sense given the attackers we had on the field late.  A well deserved rest for him as well.

Sigur - I thought he showed some great technically ability and passing but perhaps a bit over eager on a couple challenges.  Welcome to CONCACAF is right.  I'd love to see him in the midfield but am also thrilled with with how Choiniere and Ahmed have stepped up.  And Osorio continues to show he can play at this level as well.  Glad to have some more versatile players in our program.

Afrifa - I thought he struggled a bit last night but wasn't given a lot of time and was rarely on the ball.  Still excited to have him onboard.

Oluwaseyi - Much like Afrifa, seemed to have a quieter game and struggled to get involved in the game late.

Miller - Did what he had to do in his limited minutes.

Russell-Rowe - I wanted to see a little more playing time for him but happy he got in the game regardless.  Much like the latter subs, not a lot to contribute in their minutes aside from closing out a game.

Edited by Corazon

For those concerned about our ability to play through the fouling and rough stuff, keep in mind that if that was a competitive match, the cards would have come out earlier and more frequently...unless we are playing in Copa again. I don't think the Mexican players would get away with what they did in a NL or GC game. 

3 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

For those concerned about our ability to play through the fouling and rough stuff, keep in mind that if that was a competitive match, the cards would have come out earlier and more frequently...unless we are playing in Copa again. I don't think the Mexican players would get away with what they did in a NL or GC game. 

That is a huge caveat about the game for me.  That tactic simply doesn't get applied in a competitive match - and thus we would have been able to make more of the momentum we maintained for the first half.  It is pretty pathetic that the ref let that much BS go unpunished as he essentially allowed the game to be ruined.  A couple early (and deserved) cards would have allowed for a proper footy match instead of what we saw.  

I agree with most of @Corazon's analysis above.  One additional thing that jumped out at me last night was Choiniere's  IQ for CONCACAF shithousery.  He hit the floor a fair bit once he realized that the ref was calling lots but punishing little, and it was effective in either disrupting Mexican pressure or getting a FK out of a possession that wasn't going anywhere.  While I don't want us to go full on "De Paul", I think we are finally past the days of playing nobly and the "Canadian way" while consistently losing.  The sort of legit footy tactics that Choiniere utilized were nice to see from someone with pretty limited experience outside of MLS. 

Couple random thoughts on the game:

1. Oso did ok, but not great and certainly didn't put to bed any of the criticisms we've had in the past of him.  Just not quick enough anymore, and he's not well-suited to Marsch's press either.  When the ball is played directly to him, and he has a little time, he still has the IQ/skills to do well.  But that almost never happened in this game.
  2. Liam didn't have a great game either, and didn't do enough to stake his claim for a starting spot.   I like his energy and work rate, his quickness and skills - but his size/strength/power is just not up to the rest of his game (and I'm not sure there's a lot he can do about it).  It's the difference between winning most of your duels and losing most of them, and it's a big deal.  If he could learn some Richie magic, it might help, but as it is, he's turning it over and losing his 50/50s too often.
  3. Pressing and energy in the final 3rd was instantly better when David came on.  That's more a knock on Oso (who David replaced as the 10), than Choiniere (who came off).
  4. DSC played well, but I noticed he played some low screamer goal kicks a few times.  That type of goal kick really hurts your hold up players' chances of controlling or retaining/regaining possession.

So in my estimation, the new starters really didn't do us any favours (other than giving the real starters a break).  I actually even think the result would've been different with the real starters in (the extra athleticism would've been a big plus). 

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

These matches are really important for us because it forces us to try and answer the question: How do we generate offence if the opposition isn't interested in dicking around with our traps? We don't have a good answer yet, that should be the next big thing Marsch works on.

We could keep going through the same players and force them to repeatedly foul and risk an ejection. The ref wasn't interested in carding Mexico's cynical fouls because Mexico playing a friendly at home (Texas) is the cash cow he has to respect.

5 minutes ago, GasPed said:

...in my estimation, the new starters really didn't do us any favours (other than giving the real starters a break).  I actually even think the result would've been different with the real starters in (the extra athleticism would've been a big plus). 

I don't disagree, but I will put a more positive spin on it.  Regardless of the quality of the team Mexico played, we just drew them, away (essentially), with a number of depth guys on the field.  Without David (starting), Buchanan, and Kone, Mexico  were still playing scared and had to use ridiculous tactics to contain us.  Fielding depth guys as a "proof of concept" that showed Ahmed, Choiniere etc can integrate fairly seamlessly into the first team is a big win from this window. 

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I don't disagree, but I will put a more positive spin on it.  Regardless of the quality of the team Mexico played, we just drew them, away (essentially), with a number of depth guys on the field.  Without David (starting), Buchanan, and Kone, Mexico  were still playing scared and had to use ridiculous tactics to contain us.  Fielding depth guys as a "proof of concept" that showed Ahmed, Choiniere etc can integrate fairly seamlessly into the first team is a big win from this window. 

And missing Shaffenburg

21 minutes ago, GasPed said:

1. Oso did ok, but not great and certainly didn't put to bed any of the criticisms we've had in the past of him.  Just not quick enough anymore, and he's not well-suited to Marsch's press either.  When the ball is played directly to him, and he has a little time, he still has the IQ/skills to do well.  But that almost never happened in this game.
  2. Liam didn't have a great game either, and didn't do enough to stake his claim for a starting spot.   I like his energy and work rate, his quickness and skills - but his size/strength/power is just not up to the rest of his game (and I'm not sure there's a lot he can do about it).  It's the difference between winning most of your duels and losing most of them, and it's a big deal.  If he could learn some Richie magic, it might help, but as it is, he's turning it over and losing his 50/50s too often.
  3. Pressing and energy in the final 3rd was instantly better when David came on.  That's more a knock on Oso (who David replaced as the 10), than Choiniere (who came off).
  4. DSC played well, but I noticed he played some low screamer goal kicks a few times.  That type of goal kick really hurts your hold up players' chances of controlling or retaining/regaining possession.

So in my estimation, the new starters really didn't do us any favours (other than giving the real starters a break).  I actually even think the result would've been different with the real starters in (the extra athleticism would've been a big plus). 

If DSC had good distribution he'd be a starter on a top team. His shot stopping and athleticism is legitimately comfortably world class.

47 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Don't fully disagree with the Osorio part.  He presses as much as he can, but he's just not quick enough.  However, comparing him to Jonathan David is a bit unfair as well because he's easily one of the best pressers in the world of football. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

I agree with most of @Corazon's analysis above.  One additional thing that jumped out at me last night was Choiniere's  IQ for CONCACAF shithousery.  He hit the floor a fair bit once he realized that the ref was calling lots but punishing little, and it was effective in either disrupting Mexican pressure or getting a FK out of a possession that wasn't going anywhere.  While I don't want us to go full on "De Paul", I think we are finally past the days of playing nobly and the "Canadian way" while consistently losing.  The sort of legit footy tactics that Choiniere utilized were nice to see from someone with pretty limited experience outside of MLS. 

Agree with both of you.  I think we proved in Copa just how adaptable/resilient we are.  We can grind out results whether you want to play the beautiful game or the stupid game.  Mexico showed they wanted to play the latter, and we adapted.  I personally would like to see the beautiful game (and I think our players are more suited to it), but it's a mark of maturity for such a young inexperienced team to be able to flip their style, not get frustrated, and go with whatever the situation demands.  And I'm not sure if that's on Marsch, the senior players, or just the overall maturity of the group, but it's really impressive.

20 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Don't fully disagree with the Osorio part.  He presses as much as he can, but he's just not quick enough.

His presence in this side goes against the general template of what Marsch is looking for in his central midielders (big engine, big range, quick terriers for the pressing game) because his close control under pressure is still really good and he keeps the possession rolling with quick passes as part of the linking play (that's not CAM to me, just good linking support play).  However, you never know what the future holds.  Maybe he stays in the mix for '26, who knows.

I think for the others trying to crack this midfield you need those athletic traits described above.  If you lack that quickness or range, you will likely be on the outside looking in.

1 hour ago, GasPed said:

I’ve said lots of times that i Deal I  facts not emotion. There will always be whipping boys and scapegoats. I can’t agree about liam and the comment about the size/strength comment about duals is bs. And the perception that he had a not great game the stats don’t agree with. Everyone has their opinions but it was a tough game really for all involved. But let’s actually compare stats and let me know your thoughts because I think fans don’t judge evenly they have their bias and see what they want. Ali and Liam were pretty much identical on stats but u think Ali played great and Liam didn’t.. look at the Canada soccer Hilights and Liam is involved in the two best chances  Canada had(helping win the ball back. Playing it wide to Ritchie for Larins chance and his run in behind that lead to Ali’s shot.. again really stats and situations. … not biases 

here is a pic of Ali and Liams stats for last night compared..

IMG_9151.png

IMG_9150.jpeg

That game last night was anti football a horror show by Mexico and it shows how far we have come(Mexico resorting to fouling and playing long balls ) because they couldn't match us for pace or talent. It was scrappy and ugly and quite a dire game to watch but I love that this is where we are. Pissed off at not beating Mexico. 4 points in a window against top opposition is a huge step forward and let's keep building on it.

I do get really sick of the constant jabs at ONLY certain players these days( it's Liam, Oso and Larin), but... I'm the first to say if they play shit i promise you that but singling out performances that just aren't there. No one was great last night and no one was shit. Everyone gave up the ball lost battles and everyone did a few things right. Let's be fans and try to encourage and be happy in where we are heading not take jabs at only certain players.Because let's be honest we all have our favorites and we can all throw shade if needed...

Rant over..

17 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I’ve said lots of times that i Deal I  facts not emotion. There will always be whipping boys and scapegoats. I can’t agree about liam and the comment about the size/strength comment about duals is bs. And the perception that he had a not great game the stats don’t agree with. Everyone has their opinions but it was a tough game really for all involved. But let’s actually compare stats and let me know your thoughts because I think fans don’t judge evenly they have their bias and see what they want. Ali and Liam were pretty much identical on stats but u think Ali played great and Liam didn’t.. look at the Canada soccer Hilights and Liam is involved in the two best chances  Canada had(helping win the ball back. Playing it wide to Ritchie for Larins chance and his run in behind that lead to Ali’s shot.. again really stats and situations. … not biases 

here is a pic of Ali and Liams stats for last night compared..

IMG_9151.png

IMG_9150.jpeg

I totally appreciate you coming on here and talking about Liam - and if I had a son who was top class professional soccer player, I doubt I could come on here and talk half as objectively about his performance as you do.  I would totally lose it.  So thank you for doing that.

Having said that, look at the duels numbers.  Ahmed won 8 of 12, Liam won 4 of 9.  That's what I'm talking about - no, it's not an enormous difference, but it's discernible.  And I never said Ahmed played great either - but he did win the ball more, and he did draw a bunch of fouls (although I suppose that just made the game even chippier).

Your son plays a brand of football that I enjoy a lot.  He also has a fantastic work ethic out there, and some serious skills.  But my eyes tell me he has some weaknesses and I wouldn't be honest if I didn't say that.  That's all.

2 hours ago, Kadenge said:

This is my takeaway from last night. In a competitive match, Mexico is down to 10 men pretty early, and at that point, the talent discrepancy between our two teams is too much for Mexico to overcome, we’d have won solidly. 

Edited by InglewoodJack