2nd Friendly announced vs. France, 9 June (see game thread)

I really hope we can schedule a game around the 14th or something against someone at BMO or Saputo for once. It’s great to get these opponents but it’s also a double edged sword. If we get smoked in both friendlies and then sit on that for 10 days leading up to Argentina, feels a bit counter productive to some degree. Maybe a match against a Paraguay or even Costa Rica (or someone not in the Copa too), a match where we obviously have a chance to win and get a lot of touches is needed.

23 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I really hope we can schedule a game around the 14th or something against someone at BMO or Saputo for once. It’s great to get these opponents but it’s also a double edged sword. If we get smoked in both friendlies and then sit on that for 10 days leading up to Argentina, feels a bit counter productive to some degree. Maybe a match against a Paraguay or even Costa Rica (or someone not in the Copa too), a match where we obviously have a chance to win and get a lot of touches is needed.

I think it's too many games.

51 minutes ago, EJsens1 said:

I am 98% sure there will not be a game between France and Argentina, unless it is a closed door friendly or something we won’t know anything about.

11 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Argentina is at the home of the Dirty Birds isn't it? So probably want to keep it in the east, at least.

Oh I don't think they even try to get a game in. I'm just saying if they want one, there's other options besides Toronto. Montreal, Hamilton, Ottawa, Halifax. TFC playing at home is a non-factor for this.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, jonovision said:

I wonder what the appearance fee is for away friendlies in Netherlands and France?

I think it would not be below half a million euros. IIRC, that was what Panama got, or else a bit less but all travel costs covered. Will be the same for us, at least. Perhaps we are making over half a million, but not much more.

Moving that time back a few hours I think is beneficial for Canada, as we get a full 72 hour rest between games. It also makes it a cooler evening, though it is normally not that hot in Bordeaux.

I think they pushed the time back, though, for another reason, there are elections to the European Parliament, polling must end at 8 pm, but that places demands on police and security at polling stations, as well as the tendency not to do certain official events on an election day.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

• Unnamed Trialist changed the title to 2nd Friendly vs. France, 9 June 2024, 9:15 pm, Bordeaux
7 hours ago, narduch said:

Netherlands game is already confirmed for One Soccer. 

Will have to wait on the France game, but TSN sucks ass so I assume One Soccer will have that too

France match will be over lapping Canadian Grand Prix that will likely be on most TSN channels + CTV. SN will have a Jays game. In the evening, there should be a NBA Finals game.

3 hours ago, Kent said:

This is shaping up to be the most exciting 5 game losing streak in our history!

Funny stuff but not so funny in reality. It's a very realistic scenario and once again we are going to have egg on our face with 3 losses and out, not to mention 2 friendly losses in the lead up. That would be worse than the World Cup disappointment and reinforce things to the public in a bad way.

Conversely, I believe we are good enough to beat Peru and Chile, and if I can be bold (delusional?) we may get a result against a real big dog. We came close against Belgium and held a lead against Croatia.

I guess it all depends on what Canada shows up this summer. I take comfort in the fact we have World Cup vets in the team now, with a handful of players and some genuinely big clubs. If we get out of the group it will be massive, but it's right here for us imo. Real opportunity.

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

You know we have stadiums outside of Toronto, right?

Their original posted mentioned BMO specifically.

I doubt they'd want to squeeze in a third friendly a week before the event, regardless.

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

I clicked on the link to the TSN report on the France friendly being scheduled.....

image.png.61efc45a31829966887ec49f5c55a66b.png

Shall we take this as a sign that they won't be making an effort to secure broadcasting rights?

I am sure TSN along with Sportsnet will be still talking about the Tradionational Leaf early playoff exit  on that day still instead .

I see that the time of the match has been added to this thread’s title. I cannot find it mentioned anywhere online - which time zone is it? Thinking of heading there with my son.

EDIT: Found the time zone in the other thread, thanks UT. 

Edited by lowlander

5 hours ago, lowlander said:

I see that the time of the match has been added to this thread’s title. I cannot find it mentioned anywhere online - which time zone is it? Thinking of heading there with my son.

EDIT: Found the time zone in the other thread, thanks UT. 

See you there, then, looking forward to it. 

Just yesterday morning they still had it posted as 3pm, but the reason they changed it to later is European elections, they pretty well had to move it until after polling ended. 

6 hours ago, gigi riva said:

I am sure TSN along with Sportsnet will be still talking about the Tradionational Leaf early playoff exit  on that day still instead .

Only because Westhead has tweeted "neutrally" about Copa America and the Netherlands friendly, I am assuming TSN will have both the Copa and the friendlies. 

5 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

I think this post was made in jest but generally, the internet is a magnet for glass half-empty types. 

My 5 game losing streak post came out of me not knowing how to convey that I am excited for the games, but there is also a fear that if we lose against the 3 top 10 teams, despite them all being very much expected results, it could potentially have my mindset low going into the still very difficult, but perhaps winnable last 2 group stage matches.

So I ended up with an "I don't know if I should laugh or cry" type of joke.

12 hours ago, Obinna said:

Funny stuff but not so funny in reality. It's a very realistic scenario and once again we are going to have egg on our face with 3 losses and out, not to mention 2 friendly losses in the lead up. That would be worse than the World Cup disappointment and reinforce things to the public in a bad way.

I think even the least educated soccer fans in the country would have no problem understanding why we lost to Argentina and France.