June 6th friendly v Netherlands

On 5/20/2024 at 10:31 AM, TGAA_Star said:

Seeing the quality of this team I can't wait to see how we test ourselves going up against this Dutch side

IMG_20240518_104858_059.jpg

This is not the dutch squad. An incredibly out of date squad photo. 

No: Cillessen Berghuis, Botman, Klaasen, Malacia, Taylor, Timber, Weiffer 
Add: Bijlow, Olij, Frimpong, Maatsen, van de ven, de vrij, koopmeioners, reijnders, schouten, Q timber, veerman, depay, malen (of course this is the 30 man provisional squad). 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I've noticed over the last however many years the men wearing bros/manzieres or whatever it is they are called.  Is there some sort of gynecomastia issue?

In all seriousness, what do they do?

I think they hold monitoring and fitness tracking devices.  But I still maintain someone could come up with a design that looks less like a sports bra.   

50 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think they hold monitoring and fitness tracking devices.  But I still maintain someone could come up with a design that looks less like a sports bra.   

It's not a bra, it's a manziere. :)

Never even thought of your explanation., sounds good to me.

Now answer me this.  You know how a swimmer will shave all the hair off their body to save one hundredth of a second (at least they used to before bodysuits) what's up with sprinters?  They have a Mr T starter kit around the neck, shades and a watch.  Do they think they will be checking their watch to see if they are late for lunch or that the sun is too bright in the 9.7 seconds it takes to go down the track

I am lost in this world.

9 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

They'd need to redesign the human body.

24 minutes ago, RS said:

They'd need to redesign the human body.

Disagree - but it isn't a big deal.  I am pretty sure there are tweaks that would make it look less bra-like.  But for most it isn't an issue so status quo prevails

10 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

It's not a bra, it's a manziere. :)

Never even thought of your explanation., sounds good to me.

Now answer me this.  You know how a swimmer will shave all the hair off their body to save one hundredth of a second (at least they used to before bodysuits) what's up with sprinters?  They have a Mr T starter kit around the neck, shades and a watch.  Do they think they will be checking their watch to see if they are late for lunch or that the sun is too bright in the 9.7 seconds it takes to go down the track

I am lost in this world.

Actually, in the world of sports medicine and science, how the body reacts to different conditions and to optimize training is really important.  If they weren’t using this, then I’d be questioning why. 

17 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Actually, in the world of sports medicine and science, how the body reacts to different conditions and to optimize training is really important.  If they weren’t using this, then I’d be questioning why. 

Not 100%, but i think he means the technology can certainly be made smaller than what we see soccer players wearing these days. 

An over the shoulder mini back pack seems like a bit much in 2024.  Kinda like those headsets we see football coaches wearing.  There is no way they need to be that big, something smaller can certainly do the job, but you know, bigger is often better in the USA and I'm sure logos stand out better on a massive headset compared to an earpiece.

35 minutes ago, costarg said:

Not 100%, but i think he means the technology can certainly be made smaller than what we see soccer players wearing these days. 

An over the shoulder mini back pack seems like a bit much in 2024.  Kinda like those headsets we see football coaches wearing.  There is no way they need to be that big, something smaller can certainly do the job, but you know, bigger is often better in the USA and I'm sure logos stand out better on a massive headset compared to an earpiece.

Oh, I see what was meant.  Yeah, I can’t comment on the exact technology being used so leave that to the experts.

51 minutes ago, costarg said:

Lots of smaller equipment available but you dont want it bouncing around or falling off and you want it to do its job.

You can put gps in shoes or shirt or wrist or waist but for more accuracy or if you want  to  monitor vitals, it is better to have it snuggly close to the body, in the centre of it. 

12 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Lots of smaller equipment available but you dont want it bouncing around or falling off and you want it to do its job.

You can put gps in shoes or shirt or wrist or waist but for more accuracy or if you want  to  monitor vitals, it is better to have it snuggly close to the body, in the centre of it. 

Exactly. And these things are incredibly lightweight. Spandex.

The actual trackers themselves are tiny — they are usually little square-shaped objects that slide into pockets on the front and back of the "bra." The piece of clothing that holds them is designed the way it is because it's the best design to ensure the technology stays in place.

Sometimes you'll see athletes from different sports wearing heart rate monitors that are just essentially strips that fasten around the torso just underneath the breastplate. That works for sports in which there's not a whole ton of lateral movement (like athletics or cycling), but for soccer the body contorts in all sorts of ways that would shake any trackers loose if they weren't fastened with something that fits over the shoulders.

59 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Ya, makes sense, but there is still a significant bulge along the spine.  Just wonder if the placement is really ideal.  I just picture a player going up for a header and another taking him out from below and falling directly on the upper back.  It's a long shot, but it just seems like an unnecessarily sensitive spot.  I'm sure experts have thought of this and its just overthinking on my part.

image.png.b36171f639b310af24e4e13103facb33.png 

5 minutes ago, costarg said:

Ya, makes sense, but there is still a significant bulge along the spine.  Just wonder if the placement is really ideal.  I just picture a player going up for a header and another taking him out from below and falling directly on the upper back.  It's a long shot, but it just seems like an unnecessarily sensitive spot.  I'm sure experts have thought of this and its just overthinking on my part.

image.png.b36171f639b310af24e4e13103facb33.png 

It's probably a safer place than any (that would function as more than just GPS).  Think about about anywhere on your front. 

Its not a place you use to contact the ball, at least on purpose, and it is protected a bit by the shoulder blades.

If it is going to be there, not sure where better. Remember you want access to what's going on in your core.