Kevin Blue named CSA General Secretary and CEO

narduch

Thread title:
"Kevin Blue named CSA General Secretary and CEO"

@Ottawafan & @Ozzie_the_parrot please continue your tirade in the appropriate threads below.

The Importance of the Players vs CSA Pay Dispute
Canadian Soccer Business (CSB)

The majority here don't want to see the CSA/CPL burn, and the majority here don't want every thread to turn into a "bad bad bad CSB, CSA deal bad, bad, bad".

The majority here want to know which threads to stay out of.

Thank you.

Edited by Shway

1 minute ago, Shway said:

Thread title:

@Ottawafan & @Ozzie_the_parrot please continue your tirade in the appropriate threads below.

The majority here don't want to see the CSA/CPL burn, and the majority here don't want every thread to turn into a "bad bad bad CSB, CSA deal bad, bad, bad".

Thank you.

To be fair, neither of them posted the latest article in this thread.

2 minutes ago, narduch said:

Twitter thread with notes from Blue's press conference 

Anyone know where we can follow along. 
Sounds like he started with the obvious. 

We should have done a pool, how close to the new shirt drop will a rehash article from Westhead will come out??  2hrs?? 4 hrs??? 

I am not going to go through it all but its laughable at this point...he asserts the only reason we got the netherlands/US friendly is because they agreed to cover most of the costs.  Do we really expect anyone to believe he doesnt know how INT friendlies work when he wrote articles about how we picked up the costs/appearance fee for Iran/Panama botched friendlies???  Also comparing what Australia brought in (spons/ads etc) during its WC year (should be a good year income) to what canada gets every year with the CSB deal.  If thats not misleading I dont know what is.  Its not even like he can complain ignorance on this stuff, he has done this same piece over and over repeating some very misleading and easily debunked conclusions.  

19 minutes ago, Shway said:

Thread title:

Thank you.

I didn’t bring up the deal or CPL. Isn’t there a cloud you should be yelling at grandpa?

11 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

We should have done a pool, how close to the new shirt drop will a rehash article from Westhead will come out??  2hrs?? 4 hrs??? 

I am not going to go through it all but its laughable at this point...he asserts the only reason we got the netherlands/US friendly is because they agreed to cover most of the costs.  Do we really expect anyone to believe he doesnt know how INT friendlies work when he wrote articles about how we picked up the costs/appearance fee for Iran/Panama botched friendlies???  Also comparing what Australia brought in (spons/ads etc) during its WC year (should be a good year income) to what canada gets every year with the CSB deal.  If thats not misleading I dont know what is.  Its not even like he can complain ignorance on this stuff, he has done this same piece over and over repeating some very misleading and easily debunked conclusions.  

Ya. That tidbit about Australia was a blatant example of Westhead's slanted reporting. 

I think this drop had more to do with Blue having his press conference today.

On one hand, a unnamed source crying poor about finances is a good tactic during labour organization. But with source going with the simpleton angle that there is no solution unless the CSB deal is done tells me these are again talking points from the players camp.

Citing Football Australia making C$28 million in sponsors/media revenues for the FY June 2023 without adding in that Australia hosted the Women's World Cup a month later is poor work. Australian media also pays up way more for sports rights than Canadian media. Prorated for population, Football Australia's media revenues are even 4x larger than USSF. 

For overall revenues, Football Australia is also 2x larger than Canada Soccer. Their Nike deal actually includes payments beyond sales royalties. Their employee costs are about the same as Canada Soccer's total revenue. They charge about $4 more than Canada Soccer for youth player registration and A$34 for adult player registration.

Main premise of article that winning puts Canada Soccer in a deeper financial hole isn't even borne out by the numbers presented. It's more of a break even scenario: 207k + 600k + 500k = 1.3m in expenses vs receiving $1.5m for making the quarters.

1 minute ago, red card said:

On one hand, a unnamed source crying poor about finances is a good tactic during labour organization. But with source going with the simpleton angle that there is no solution unless the CSB deal is done tells me these are again talking points from the players camp.

Citing Football Australia making C$28 million in sponsors/media revenues for the FY June 2023 without adding in that Australia hosted the Women's World Cup a month later is poor work. Australian media also pays up way more for sports rights than Canadian media. Prorated for population, Football Australia's media revenues are even 4x larger than USSF. 

For overall revenues, Football Australia is also 2x larger than Canada Soccer. Their Nike deal actually includes payments beyond sales royalties. Their employee costs are about the same as Canada Soccer's total revenue. They charge about $4 more than Canada Soccer for youth player registration and A$34 for adult player registration.

Main premise of article that winning puts Canada Soccer in a deeper financial hole isn't even borne out by the numbers presented. It's more of a break even scenario: 207k + 600k + 500k = 1.3m in expenses vs receiving $1.5m for making the quarters.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Sorry, I didn't think using a Thank you Emoji reaction to your post provided enough emphasis to what I think is the real truth behind what you wrote.

Especially that first paragraph which I bolded.

Westhead is being used as a mouthpiece from the other side because there has been a little bit too much good news coming from Canada Soccer lately.  The timing couldn't be more obvious.

4 minutes ago, red card said:

Citing Football Australia making C$28 million in sponsors/media revenues for the FY June 2023 without adding in that Australia hosted the Women's World Cup a month later is poor work....

...but does show why agreeing to a flat fee in the context of 2026 was completely nonsensical where the interests of the CMNT and CWNT programs and by extension the finances of the CSA are concerned. Hence why Kevin Blue & Co have been trying to get the deal modified rather than acting as apologists for it.

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Seriously bud, calm down a bit, engage your critical faculties and try reading what was actually written in the article a bit more carefully. Player bonuses are not the only cost involved in generating the number that far exceeds 1 million.

“We would be looking at far more than $1 million in costs if Canada makes the Copa and gets at least a few wins,”

Oh little bird....here we go again.

Above is the quote. Can you cite where westhead talks about the other costs making up the "far more than one million"? Of course, you are correct that there are other costs but thats my point. Westhead picks and chooses what he writes. The above quote implies that costs are tied to performances but doesnt indicate that a performance bonus will exceed the player compensation costs. 

It is written in such a way that people think that the better we perform, the less money available. That is simply not true. 

Read this quote below for evidence: But in a bizarre twist that is linked to Canada Soccer’s media and sponsorship contract, it's possible that the better Canada performs in the Copa, the more it could accelerate the federation’s path towards insolvency.

We all know that CSA has no money. But the better we perform at the copa, the more prize money we win. NOT the more likely we are to be insolvent. 

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

Winning it all would mean millions of dollars, but that is a longshot.  I think his point is winning a few games won't balance off what they pay out vs what is expected as a return?

The math is 200k in player fees per win. If we get out of the group we get 1.5million. If we win all 2 group games, thats 400k in costs and then we get the 1.5million. I would take that deal any day.  

His point is to manipulate the reader to believe what you described but can you play out a scenario where the numbers work out negatively? 

2 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Above is the quote. Can you cite where westhead talks about the other costs making up the "far more than one million"? Of course, you are correct that there are other costs but thats my point. Westhead picks and chooses what he writes. The above quote implies that costs are tied to performances but doesnt indicate that a performance bonus will exceed the player compensation costs. 

I'm not Ozzie, but I did read this in the article (bolding mine):

That means if Canada beats Trinidad and Tobago and goes on to win two games in the Copa, it will cost Canada Soccer more than $600,000 in player bonuses, in addition to at least $500,000 in expenses related to travel costs and staging a pre-tournament camp for players and coaches.