September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

6 minutes ago, nfitz said:

WTF? They could only get a third division team?

Not sure if you've been living under a rock but they're hosting Wrexham because they're part-owned by Ryan Reynolds and they have a show on the team. They might be in League 1 but IIRC they have a Championship-level salary based on the influx of revenue from their show. They're charging a ton of money for tickets and i'm sure whoever is running the show will be making good money, but one of the conditions for the friendly was real grass at BC Place.

Edited by Mihairokov

On 7/22/2024 at 5:59 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

For their October friendlies, Mexico is hosting a team TBD in Mexico before staying in Mexico to host the #USMNT in Guadalajara.

https://www.wdeportes.com/2024/07/22/mexico-jugara-contra-estados-unidos-en-guadalajara/

On 7/25/2024 at 5:27 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

but who could the opponent be?

A minnow from Asia? Or will we play Mexico twice in two months?

Mexico are (unsurprisingly) having trouble finding an opponent for their first friendly match in October.

They are trying to invite a club team! 😳

https://www.record.com.mx/futbol-futbol-nacional-seleccion-mexicana/la-fmf-busca-un-partido-amistoso-entre-la-seleccion?amp

Either we don't want to play them two months in a row, or they don't want to play us.

----

No new news regarding that weird Malaysia Wikipedia edit

----

Now it seems to make it more likely that we will only have the Panama friendly in October, and perhaps a longer camp so Marsch can take a look at some of the guys he hasn't seen yet.

Media has been weaponized to beat these giant organizations especially one's who are nationalistic in nature in to submission until they take up a certain political posture and push a certain social narrative. So yah buddy hurt these properties but they're allowed out of the penalty box and left alone once they obey by certain principles that they would rather not. I was told about 10 years ago with soneone in the media that everyone investing in these giant legacy media platforms were doing so not because they saw it as a profitable venture but because they knew the value of controlling these giant communication outlets they could control public perception and benefit them politically or all their other myriad of ventures around the globe. I'm not hear really here for a giant debate. That's just my opinion and if you want proof.. Exhibit A watch what's going on at the Olympics. Completely unnecessary things that seemed to just get jammed down everyone's throat when all we want to do is watch sports and cheer on our country

Edited by SpursFlu

Assuming we're calling 23 guys per window... what do you think is a fair balance between calling in a good squad and calling in new players? How many new guys do you think we see called up and who do we want to see/realistically think we're going to see?

Will be interesting to see if all the guys who just moved team will be available ie Kone, Cornelius, Bombito, Bair etc

5 minutes ago, Approve My Account Pls said:

Assuming we're calling 23 guys per window... what do you think is a fair balance between calling in a good squad and calling in new players? How many new guys do you think we see called up and who do we want to see/realistically think we're going to see?

Will be interesting to see if all the guys who just moved team will be available ie Kone, Cornelius, Bombito, Bair etc

I see very little turnover. I am going to say max 5 players and that's really pushing it. Marsch is going to want to keep his best group together for these games, but there'll be a couple new faces at the tail-end of the roster. 

I would look at the backup strikers for rotation. Bair and JRR are most likely, considering the minutes Tani got in Copa America, but if the latter two are scoring and Tani goes cold, maybe he's dropped. It's not like Marsch doesn't know what he has after 6 caps. Coming in could be Ugbo, maybe Promise David, maybe (long shot) Jebbison.

Aside from that, it'll be interesting to see if Adekugbe comes back in, maybe for Heibert. And ZBG comes back into the fold, possibly for LDF (who we may want to let focus on his club career)? Bombito is the starter, but we'd be light at RCB if we drop Luc, although Waterman could step in if needed, plus it's a friendly window so nothing on the line. 

I am still bullish on Corbeanu, who could come in for Buchanan in theory. On the other hand, I don't think Nelson has earned a call back yet. 

Hoilett?

49 minutes ago, VinceA said:

I think there should be some turnover to give guys some rest.

Also being real, I don't currently have an urge to watch Cyle Larin play for us. 

Larin has a history of scoring against the USA and Mexico. I for one am looking forward to him (hopefully) breaking his goaless streak against one (or both) of them.

It is probably irrational but I would call in Jebbo if he is willing to come.  Dude turned 21 today (HBD!), is on the books with an EPL club, and has been playing (and scoring) for them in preseason.   I am generally all for the idea of calling people on merit but this dude seems to have enough upside that it would be worth bringing him in.   I would also be willing to give him an “official competition” cap in NL in November.

3 hours ago, saladroit said:

"....Pochettino believes in "energía universal" (universal energy), the idea that people, places and things are charged with a hidden energy, positive or negative. "I believe in energía universal", he said. "It is connected. Nothing happens for causality. It is always a consequence [of something else]. Maybe, it is one of the reasons that Harry [Kane] always scores in derbies. I believe in that energy. For me, it exists"......."

I guess Star Wars "may the force be with you" will be the USMNT motto at least until the WC.

Joking aside he has excellent managerial stats. Do we need to worry?

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

"....Pochettino believes in "energía universal" (universal energy), the idea that people, places and things are charged with a hidden energy, positive or negative. "I believe in energía universal", he said. "It is connected. Nothing happens for causality. It is always a consequence [of something else]. Maybe, it is one of the reasons that Harry [Kane] always scores in derbies. I believe in that energy. For me, it exists"......."

I guess Star Wars "may the force be with you" will be the USMNT motto at least until the WC.

Joking aside he has excellent managerial stats. Do we need to worry?

Definitely a lot more to worry about than with triple G.   But a lot of that squad are still a bunch of entitled whiny twats - not sure he can change that.

I enjoy the USMNT in disarray, so I am sad the bad vibes will be coming to an end.

I see them getting a new manager bounce and unfortunately we play them first, but we are coming in on a high ourselves, with a coach who is still newish. I predict a hard fought draw against them in September.

As for the long term outlook, let's see. Obviously it's a world class hire in terms of a brand name, but coach selection is also about the "fit" as much as the tactics or anything else. I have no reason to think it'll be a bad fit, but is it the obvious match that was Canada and Marsch, or is this a situation of USSF throwing a ton of cash at a big coach and to stem the criticism and blowback from the Copa America exit?