September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I noticed that Morocco and Tanzania had their October games against Eritrea cancelled. Have they filled those dates?

Their October 2025 date, not their October 2024 date.

You may be confusing the calendar for this:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)

with the calendar for this:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2025_Africa_Cup_of_Nations_qualification

The draw for the latter is today. It looks like Morocco will play in the qualifiers, despite already being qualified as the host nation.

10 hours ago, Obinna said:

I would love a Morocco and Panama October window.

And even if Morocco had been free for one match, you can't play Morocco in Africa and Panama in North America during the same window.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Their October 2025 date not their October 2024 date.

You may be confusing the calendar for this:

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CAF)

with the calendar for this:

http://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2025_Africa_Cup_of_Nations_qualification

The draw for the latter is today. It looks like Morocco will play in the qualifiers, despite already being qualified as the host nation.

And even if Morocco had been free for one match, you can't play Morocco in Africa and Panama in North America during the same window.

Ha, yeah. 2025. I didn't even think that the calendar i was looking at would be that far in advance.

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

I have fully resigned to not playing the October window. Honestly, would have preferred to be in Nations league and get 4 guaranteed games.

Technically only 2 games in that one window.

The other free window we did manage to get USA and Mexico which are good opponents

But the available teams for October are so bad I kinda agree.

Given that Panama was just eliminated from the Copa, the next possible window where we might face them in a competitive match is March 2025.

Perhaps with our Copa earnings we can set up a friendly with them, either, on neutral ground in the USA, or at home.

It would need to be October 15th (second match of the FIFA window) ; they are the only decently ranked team left if the USA host Mexico on that day.

The only thing is both the CSA and Panama both got burned last time we tried to host them for a friendly. Would they accept an invitation?

23 minutes ago, RJB said:

This may not be an entirely popular opinion, but I think there may be some value in not playing, and giving our players some much needed rest for a window. 

I would rather have a match and not call up our starting XI

On 6/23/2024 at 12:39 AM, blueseeka said:

This team will need games where they can incorporate the youth of LDF, Bair and Ahmed into a regular spot.

It would be nice to give some guys who are regularly on the bench some minutes and I want to see either McGill or Sirois start in net.

15 hours ago, RJB said:

This may not be an entirely popular opinion, but I think there may be some value in not playing, and giving our players some much needed rest for a window. 

I've been thinking about this. It's not so much about giving the players a rest in October as the options now being so limited. The Copa winnings are great, but I'd rather use the funds for a future proper friendly (ideally at home) than to force a game against a minnow just for the sake of playing.

If it is a game against a minnow, use a domestic squad and put the game in Langford/Victoria - they're owed a make-up game from the Covid-cancelled Trinidad series.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

If it is a game against a minnow, use a domestic squad and put the game in Langford/Victoria - they're owed a make-up game from the Covid-cancelled Trinidad series.

Yes please!  I had lined up 60+ friends to attend that game and was SO looking forward to seeing Canada play 10 feet from the sideline. Then came a global pandemic, no Canada game and having to return 60 etransfers. All three sucked. 😂 

27 minutes ago, shorty said:

Yes please!  I had lined up 60+ friends to attend that game and was SO looking forward to seeing Canada play 10 feet from the sideline. Then came a global pandemic, no Canada game and having to return 60 etransfers. All three sucked. 😂 

Holy fuck that sounds exhausting 

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, gigi riva said:

After  Friday night any way we can set up a Friendly in the next 12 months vs Venezuela  or even a Ecuador 

Unlikely.

https://www.wikipedia.org/wiki/2026_FIFA_World_Cup_qualification_(CONMEBOL)

A Camp Poutine type situation might be possible, but that's it until October 2025 (unless they are a guest Nation at the 2025 Gold Cup).

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

I was kind of hoping for same team two game home series. The women have done this pretty regularly lately. Had two against Brazil and two against Mexico recently.

Looks like Panama has a US matchup in October.  Do not think any of the other teams would even be worth it

On 7/6/2024 at 7:55 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Given that Panama was just eliminated from the Copa, the next possible window where we might face them in a competitive match is March 2025.

Perhaps with our Copa earnings we can set up a friendly with them, either, on neutral ground in the USA, or at home.

It would need to be October 15th (second match of the FIFA window) ; they are the only decently ranked team left if the USA host Mexico on that day.

The only thing is both the CSA and Panama both got burned last time we tried to host them for a friendly. Would they accept an invitation?

Confirmed! Panama will play against Canada and the US in the October window, according to coach Thomas Christiansen

https://x.com/ricardoicaza7/status/1811835398902976744

Edited by xabuep2

1 hour ago, xabuep2 said:

Confirmed! Panama will play against Canada and the US in the October window, according to coach Thomas Christiansen

But we're playing the US in the September window...

Edit: lol nevermind misread this

Edited by mpg_29

Just now, mpg_29 said:

But we're playing the US in the September window...

Yes. Canada would play US and Mexico in September.

Then, Canada would play Panama in October. The other game of the window for Panama would be against the US.

So, two games for Panama in October. 1 match for Canada (Unless we line up a 2nd).