September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

Related to the above post, I disagree with it but the argument made a few years ago by Tebas, the Liga president, is actually quite interesting. He demonstrated that during the 6 FIFA windows over a season, Segunda had its best numbers, both in stadium attendance and in tv rights. No Liga, more fans for 2nd division.

It is true, in many countries, apart from your national team playing twice in a window, football goes dormant.

So it was an ideal opportunity to raise interest and revenue. Matches that would not even be broadcast at all on a weekend or never pitted against a Liga match, could be featured, only having to go against a foreign international match (not, of course, coinciding with Spain playing). And that had a positive revenue and marketing factor for 2nd division.

Have to understand that in Spain, if you are also a Madrid or Barça fan, as is the case for a massive % of the population, you will not go to your city team in La Liga or any division in fact if they are playing. Rayo being the third team in Madrid used to always play noon Sundays, to never interfere with fans also following Atlético or RM.

The other argument was that there are too few internationals in 2nd to stop the entire league.

True, Spanish 2nd has less internationals than England, but it could be a vicious circle, if you respected the break, maybe you'd get more. As is, you could lose a player for 6 matches a year, that is 15% of matches in a season, but everyone knows the risk. It is possible that favours Spaniards, but the average Spanish footballer being quality, it may not mean the level is any lower; but maybe not as appealing because I think it should be an incentive to know you have internationals on your team (like MLS foreign DPs). A few years ago Málaga in 2nd had ten internationals. Granada potentially has 6 even playing in 2nd division, besides Theo there are internationals for Albania, Senegal, Congo, Israel, Cameroon and Georgia.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Assuming Jebbison declares for Canada between now and the October window - does he deserve to be selected based on merit?

1. David
  2. Larin
  3. Tani (playing well for Canada, but needs to finish)
  4. Who is the 4th guy?
    1. JRR?
    2. Bair (injured?)
    3. Ugbo?
    4. Jebbison - I feel he slots in here, not based on potential, but based on where he is today, which is coming off the bench for Watford in the Championship, but yet to score or afaik earn a goal contribution.
    5. Brym?
  5. Next group of guys is probably....
    1. Kulenovic
    2. Promise David
    3. Kerr (should be called at some point)
    4. Pacius (killing it with Nashville's reserve team)
    5. Other.....

So the way I have it laid out, the answer is probably no.

I doubt he's automatically ahead of JRR who already has 7 caps, Bair who has 3 caps and now plays in Ligue 1, and Ugbo who is more established and playing more minutes in the same division (but with a weaker club, should be said).

I would however say Jebbison today is ahead of Brym, who is not playing much at Sparta Rotterdam, obviously he is not scoring either. 

Would I call Jebbison anyway, just based on his potential? Yes for sure. It's just that if we are being objective, he hasn't done anything for club that should make him a lock for the 4th striker position for this upcoming window. What do you guys think?

Full disclosure....haven't been watching his games with Watford....maybe he is playing very well and just not finding the net? Would love to hear what others think about Jebbison's form heading into October. 

22 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Assuming Jebbison declares for Canada between now and the October window - does he deserve to be selected based on merit?

1. David
  2. Larin
  4. Who is the 4th guy?
    1. JRR?
    2. Bair (injured?)
    3. Ugbo?
    4. Jebbison - I feel he slots in here, not based on potential, but based on where he is today, which is coming off the bench for Watford in the Championship, but yet to score or afaik earn a goal contribution.
    5. Brym?
    1. Kulenovic
    2. Promise David
    5. Other.....

I doubt he's automatically ahead of JRR who already has 7 caps, Bair who has 3 caps and now plays in Ligue 1, and Ugbo who is more established and playing more minutes in the same division (but with a weaker club, should be said).

I would however say Jebbison today is ahead of Brym, who is not playing much at Sparta Rotterdam, obviously he is not scoring either. 

Would I call Jebbison anyway, just based on his potential? Yes for sure. It's just that if we are being objective, he hasn't done anything for club that should make him a lock for the 4th striker position for this upcoming window. What do you guys think?

Full disclosure....haven't been watching his games with Watford....maybe he is playing very well and just not finding the net? Would love to hear what others think about Jebbison's form heading into October. 

1) David

2) Larin

3) Tani

4) Poku

If it's about me, Jebbison for Gold Cup 2025 (my dream) or after Gold Cup 2025 (the reality). That will be the right moment for Jebbison. Let him perform with his club first. There's no hurry with Jebbison.

35 minutes ago, Obinna said:

1. David
  2. Larin
  4. Who is the 4th guy?
    1. JRR?
    2. Bair (injured?)
    3. Ugbo?
    5. Brym?
    1. Kulenovic
    2. Promise David
    5. Other.....

Is merit based on form, talent, minutes or playing style. 

I think jebbison is our 3 most talented striker. 
he has a severe lack of minutes. But jrr, bair, promise, brym, ugbo, Tani, and Kulenovic are not 100% starters either. 

considering form: does 1 goal count as form or is there a need for consistency and bigger sample size. Only jrr makes a case for consistently scoring. 

The way I see it is that lots of people look at Jebbo and say he has to earn his way on the squad and needs to be scoring consistently to get there. But that’s not the standard of our 4th string striker.  No one is clearly meeting the measuring stick some people hold to Jebbo so if it’s relatively even, you select the most talented player which jebbo is top 4.  

stats:

-more minutes played than bair and Kulenovic.  
-Similar minutes per game to Tani and jrr and he’s still recovering from a year out. 

Edited by Bigandy

7 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Is merit based on form, talent, minutes or playing style. 

I think jebbison is our 3 most talented striker. 
he has a severe lack of minutes. But jrr, bair, promise, brym, ugbo, Tani, and Kulenovic are not 100% starters either. 

considering form: does 1 goal count as form or is there a need for consistency and bigger sample size. Only jrr makes a case for consistently scoring. 

The way I see it is that lots of people look at Jebbo and say he has to earn his way on the squad and needs to be scoring consistently to get there. But that’s not the standard of our 4th string striker.  No one is clearly meeting the measuring stick some people hold to Jebbo so if it’s relatively even, you select the most talented player which jebbo is top 4.  

This is ultimately a great point and probably why we'll see Jebbo called the moment he declares. Hopefully for him and for us it's sooner rather than later. 

As for form, talent, minutes, or playing style, I was looking at it from a form/minutes perspective. That's why I asked if anyone has actually been watching to see what his Watford form has been like, because he doesn't have the goals or assists, nor does he have a great deal of minutes, at least so far. 

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Tweet says first call up. That narrows the list down quite a bit.

I’d imagine we try to get more duals in the camp: 

Jebbo Lopez and poku both have been mentioned by marsch 

Kulenovic and promise are at decent levels and duals  I expect at least one of them  

jkl - best uncapped defender

stroud bros? pos? (Not sure they are quality tho) 

ivensevic (or however you spell the guy in Croatia)

Goodman - dual. 

6 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Kulenovic and promise are at decent levels and duals  I expect at least one of them  

Goodman - dual. 

Of the strikers, I think Lopez is my pick. Poku 2nd div Belgium, not high enough and he’s not a feel good CPL story anymore. Jebbo still has England in his social media bio, would surprise me if he had a change of heart in 2 weeks. Also, 0 goals in 2 years for him by my count. 

JKL, he has games on the 8th, 12th, and 19th, so doubt they pull him for a friendly. I do hope we make moves to beat out Wales though. I would argue Ivanisevic might be up there with him in terms of uncapped defenders. How many pages did we spend discussing Sigur after his first Split game? Ivanisevic is starting and from what I can tell, excelling in Croatia this season. 

Promise also isn’t playing much. Didn’t make the lineup today and I’ve noticed him missing out every few weeks this year.

My guess is Kuleneovic. I think he has Kanada in his IG handle, he’s playing, starting, and has now scored in the Dutch top flight. Seems like he’d be down and we’d also be down. 

I wonder if LDF still gets called. Now that he’s capped and was left off last window, I hope we don’t just cast him to the side until he’s older. I liked what I saw from him at Copa and a friendly at home against Panama would be a great game for him. Wouldn’t start though, so I don’t know if it’s worth coming all the way here to play 15 minutes. 

11 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Of the strikers, I think Lopez is my pick. Poku 2nd div Belgium, not high enough and he’s not a feel good CPL story anymore. Jebbo still has England in his social media bio, would surprise me if he had a change of heart in 2 weeks. Also, 0 goals in 2 years for him by my count. 

JKL, he has games on the 8th, 12th, and 19th, so doubt they pull him for a friendly. I do hope we make moves to beat out Wales though. I would argue Ivanisevic might be up there with him in terms of uncapped defenders. How many pages did we spend discussing Sigur after his first Split game? Ivanisevic is starting and from what I can tell, excelling in Croatia this season. 

Promise also isn’t playing much. Didn’t make the lineup today and I’ve noticed him missing out every few weeks this year.

My guess is Kuleneovic. I think he has Kanada in his IG handle, he’s playing, starting, and has now scored in the Dutch top flight. Seems like he’d be down and we’d also be down. 

I wonder if LDF still gets called. Now that he’s capped and was left off last window, I hope we don’t just cast him to the side until he’s older. I liked what I saw from him at Copa and a friendly at home against Panama would be a great game for him. Wouldn’t start though, so I don’t know if it’s worth coming all the way here to play 15 minutes. 

All great points. IMO guys should stick to their club if they have games. 

I doubt Jebbo comes but why would you pick Lopez over him.  Lopez has zero pro goals ever, zero pro minutes this year, 9 pro minutes total.   There’s no way that Lopez is anywhere near a guy (who has been out an entire year with injuries) who has been playing in the prem and championship this year and is only 2 years older.  Liga Mx <prem/championship.

also your count is wrong.  He was injured last year but scored in the championship the year prior.  1 year with no goals in a year he didn’t play. this is my point about this silly measuring stick.  Jebbo is criticized for a year long injury but we praise Lopez for having zero pro goals, zero u23 goals, zero u20 goals (club) and what…9 pro minutes. I just don’t see how anyone could objectively think Lopez is within touching distance of jebbison 

44 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

Goodman - dual. 

Just posted MLS stats that included the Stroud brothers.  The younger one (Peter) apparently has more upside but has spent a lot of time injured this season. The upside, could just be based on the fact he's much younger than his brother.  The older brother (Jared), is 28, so it doesn't seem to create the same excitement. But his numbers blow away every other Canadian in MLS.  I've watched him once since finding out he was eligible and he looked okay.  But 3 goals and 10 assists is impressive (helps having Benteke as your striker).  Also, he has played more than 400 minutes than our 2nd highest (Piette).

I have a feeling one or both will be included.

Edited by Corazon

11 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

All great points. IMO guys should stick to their club if they have games. 

I doubt Jebbo comes but why would you pick Lopez over him.  Lopez has zero pro goals ever, zero pro minutes this year, 9 pro minutes total.   There’s no way that Lopez is anywhere near a guy (who has been out an entire year with injuries) who has been playing in the prem and championship this year and is only 2 years older.  Liga Mx <prem/championship.

also your count is wrong.  He was injured last year but scored in the championship the year prior.  1 year with no goals in a year he didn’t play. this is my point about this silly measuring stick.  Jebbo is criticized for a year long injury but we praise Lopez for having zero pro goals, zero u23 goals, zero u20 goals (club) and what…9 pro minutes. I just don’t see how anyone could objectively think Lopez is within touching distance of jebbison 

To be clear, I picked Lopez because I don’t think Jebbison caps for the reasons I mentioned and I think he has a better shot than Poku. 

Though my count was off, he still has not scored in a year and a half. His injury isn’t his fault but the fact remains that he hasn’t shown much of anything since…? I would still take him in an instant but not really pressed to bring him in for a friendly. 3 games in with Watford, he’s (by far) their worst rated player, he was the worst rated player on Bournemouth in his two games there, has registered all of one shot on target in 5 total games. as a striker, anything can change if he bangs in a few goals, but not exactly coming back from injury with all guns blazing.

Why I think Lopez has a shot is that he’s a Mexican kid playing in Mexico who has a national team sorely lacking in talent, Lopez looked awesome for our youth team, it makes sense for him to be the next LDF or McGill- dual nat who gets called in before his club form mandates it.

16 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Just posted MLS stats that included the Stroud brothers.  The younger one (Peter) apparently has more upside but has spent a lot of time injured this season. The upside, could just be based on the fact he's much younger than his brother.  The older brother (Jared), is 28, so it doesn't seem to create the same excitement. But his numbers blow away every other Canadian in MLS.  I've watched him once since finding out he was eligible and he looked okay.  But 3 goals and 10 assists is impressive (helps having Benteke as your striker).  Also, he has played more than 400 minutes than our 2nd highest (Piette).

I have a feeling one or both will be included.

I will say that having watched Benteke live this season against Montreal, it’s insane how much better he is than pretty much anyone else. 5 of Stroud’s 7 MLS assists this year come from Benteke. Haven’t watched him enough to know how good he is, but Benteke is one of the most automatic guys I’ve ever watched in MLS. I think Suarez or Acosta will win MVP, but he has my vote. 

4 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

Poku 2nd div Belgium, not high enough and he’s not a feel good CPL story anymore.

Not saying he deserves a call but I disagree with this part.   I think a call up for him is absolutely still a feel good CPL story.  He only moved recently, is still in the mind of many CPL/Forge fans, and could potentially be a defining transfer for CPL if he makes the jump to a solid European first division. Giving a guy like that increased profile with an international call up definitely still resonates with me as a CPL story even if he isn’t still plying his trade there. 

10 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Not saying he deserves a call but I disagree with this part.   I think a call up for him is absolutely still a feel good CPL story.  He only moved recently, is still in the mind of many CPL/Forge fans, and could potentially be a defining transfer for CPL if he makes the jump to a solid European first division. Giving a guy like that increased profile with an international call up definitely still resonates with me as a CPL story even if he isn’t still plying his trade there. 

That’s fair- I’d be more willing to give him a courtesy call if he was still at Forge, and selling it as “he’s next up- look, the CPL has the quality to stock the national team”, but I feel like he’s now in this middle ground where he’s playing in a poor league, he’s behind a lot of good strikers in our pool, but I do think he will earn a call on merit and form over the next few years. 

It’s a friendly at home- I wouldn’t be upset if he gets called, I just think we have better options to look to for now. 

22 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

To be clear, I picked Lopez because I don’t think Jebbison caps for the reasons I mentioned and I think he has a better shot than Poku. 

Though my count was off, he still has not scored in a year and a half. His injury isn’t his fault but the fact remains that he hasn’t shown much of anything since…? I would still take him in an instant but not really pressed to bring him in for a friendly. 3 games in with Watford, he’s (by far) their worst rated player, he was the worst rated player on Bournemouth in his two games there, has registered all of one shot on target in 5 total games. as a striker, anything can change if he bangs in a few goals, but not exactly coming back from injury with all guns blazing.

Why I think Lopez has a shot is that he’s a Mexican kid playing in Mexico who has a national team sorely lacking in talent, Lopez looked awesome for our youth team, it makes sense for him to be the next LDF or McGill- dual nat who gets called in before his club form mandates it.

I didn’t mean to imply that you pick Lopez over him. My bad. 

I think we agree on our selection process logic. 

I think we probably end up picking strikers based on profile in the near future. 
David and larin are locks. The best level/form of our 3rd string.  A big boy for 4th choice to win headers as a last resort.