September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

21 hours ago, Shway said:

Most neglected age group.

Guys who need a look, and/or on the cusps. Organize a game against the most available national team and play a u23 squad. 

GK: Swiderski, Kalongo, 

DF: LDF, JKL,  Franklin, JMR, 
MF: Saliba, Thompson, Colyn, Smith, Priso, Zouhir, 
FW: Kerr, Corbeanu, Nelson, Vilsaint, Poku

When you list the team like that, I would absolutely love to watch a game with that cohort.   

On 9/11/2024 at 8:02 PM, Shway said:

Most neglected age group.

Guys who need a look, and/or on the cusps. Organize a game against the most available national team and play a u23 squad. 

GK: Swiderski, Kalongo, 

DF: LDF, JKL,  Franklin, JMR, 
MF: Saliba, Thompson, Colyn, Smith, Priso, Zouhir, 
FW: Kerr, Corbeanu, Nelson, Vilsaint, Poku

I’d love this so much

On 9/13/2024 at 4:30 AM, Barthez-Battalion said:

Who would you guys pick to be the next Canadian coach to Join Jesse for this upcoming window as the Canadian Coaching Representative?

Has to be someone not in CPL, I'd say. 

And someone who is not in U-Sports, as they are both in season.

Maybe take Olivieri or part of the youth team coaching staff (or does Andrew go anyways?)

For me it would be perfectly legit to take someone from the women's programme, it is all about learning and integrating coaching models.

On 9/13/2024 at 4:30 AM, Barthez-Battalion said:

Who would you guys pick to be the next Canadian coach to Join Jesse for this upcoming window as the Canadian Coaching Representative?

No huge preference on this. Given Joey Saputo appears to have played a role in hiring him as MLS Canada Head Coach I suspect it won't be long until CF Montreal is involved from that angle. Think senior people from each of the three MLS academy systems might be easier to pry away from their clubs when regular season and playoff games are happening than CanPL head coaches but the latter might be a factor if there's a window between November and February. 

If there's a second friendly game on October... That means it'll be in this period (October 10th or October 11th or October 12th or October 13th)? Impossible after October 15th...

What's the deadline to announce this second friendly on October...

Man we need badly this second friendly game to be played at Montreal!

8 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

If there's a second friendly game on October... That means it'll be in this period (October 10th or October 11th or October 12th or October 13th)? Impossible after October 15th...

What's the deadline to announce this second friendly on October...

Man we need badly this second friendly game to be played at Montreal!

It won't be after the 15th.

Most likely the Friday or Saturday before.

56 minutes ago, narduch said:

It won't be after the 15th.

Most likely the Friday or Saturday before.

The word is they’ll be playing FC Montreal. I’d have to imagine it will be Saturday the 12th. Assuming it is in Montreal, as someone who lives in Ottawa, this would be great. Hope it’s announced soon. 
I’m curious what the player roles here would be like. Would guys like Sirois, Waterman, etc. stay with Montreal or would they play with Canada? I’d have to assume they want to be part of the CMNT

If they decide to play a game in Montreal, which is long overdue, I hope they don't end up playing CF Montreal. As someone who lives in Montreal, there's still a hesitancy to fully embrace the Canadian identity and despite being a largely federalist city (vs. Quebec City which is more nationalist/separatist) there is still a lot of provincial and Quebecois pride. Having Canada play against Montreal's only other major professional sports team other than the Canadiens will not do any favours for Canada to broadly try and grow national team support in Montreal and Quebec.

Really hope they can find another international opponent for that match as I don't think playing CF Montreal is a good idea at all.

Edited by Wasp

2 minutes ago, Wasp said:

If they decide to play a game in Montreal, which is long overdue, I hope they don't end up playing CF Montreal. As someone who lives in Montreal, there's still a hesitancy to fully embrace Canadian and despite being a largely federalist city (vs. Quebec City which is more nationalist/separatist) there is still a lot of provincial and Quebecois pride. Having Canada play against Montreal's only other major professional sports team other than the Canadiens will not do any favours for Canada to broadly try and grow national team support in Montreal and Quebec.

Really hope they can find another international opponent for that match as I don't think playing CF Montreal is a good idea at all.

I think the Als are also a major professional sports team in Mtl.

9 minutes ago, Wasp said:

If they decide to play a game in Montreal, which is long overdue, I hope they don't end up playing CF Montreal. As someone who lives in Montreal, there's still a hesitancy to fully embrace the Canadian identity and despite being a largely federalist city (vs. Quebec City which is more nationalist/separatist) there is still a lot of provincial and Quebecois pride. Having Canada play against Montreal's only other major professional sports team other than the Canadiens will not do any favours for Canada to broadly try and grow national team support in Montreal and Quebec.

Interesting post. I would like to see a ven diagram of separatists and CF Montreal fans. How many are out there?

Edit: Another question - by the way you make it sound, wouldn't Canada playing against CF Montreal actually be a good idea from the perspective of Canadian nationalism, since there is a big need for the city to see Canada play, given there are separatist elements in the city (supposedly)?   

Edited by Obinna