September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

Marsch mentioned  engage the community ...perhaps 3 mini games vs teams like CSL or Ontario L1 teams or even running a mini camp so local young players can meet and train with the CMNT players. I doubt any game arranged would be of direct value for the CMNT so it has to be an investment in either the CPL (all stars  game) or for local youth clubs.

21 minutes ago, narduch said:

They will be in camp for the October 15 friendly anyways.

This is such a weird mentality 

I suppose if you can't see it thru the eyes of a player then yes I can see you would feel that way.  

Would rather they hold camps/training session with their youth squads.  This would hold way more value than a game against the CPL players.

13 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

I suppose if you can't see it thru the eyes of a player then yes I can see you would feel that way.  

Would rather they hold camps/training session with their youth squads.  This would hold way more value than a game against the CPL players.

You don't make any sense. But you do you I guess.

57 minutes ago, narduch said:

Vancouver Whitecaps play during the window unfortunately. It's their rescheduled game due to LAFC making the Leagues Cup final

Maybe draw players from their MLS Next Pro sides that Marsch has identified as having potential? Who knows, but I'm glad he's looking to get creative in what would otherwise be a super underwhelming window. 

3 hours ago, narduch said:

Figure this should go in the proper thread.

Yesterday in an interview Marsch mentioned they are working on a creative 2nd friendly for the October window.

My guess was a game against CPL All-Stars. 

Creative friendly game: Canada Soccer Legends 🙂

3 minutes ago, jdheid said:

Maybe draw players from their MLS Next Pro sides that Marsch has identified as having potential? Who knows, but I'm glad he's looking to get creative in what would otherwise be a super underwhelming window. 

Well you could grab guys from TFC and CF Montreal and the Next Pro and CPL.

23 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

No real interest in playing a CPL all star team but it would be something some fans would like to see.  

Genuinely curious why you would show no interest in having a bunch of National team depth players get experience by playing an all star team from our domestic league.  I don't think anyone believes it would immediately elevate the CPL players or be a big factor in moving fringe nat players towards the first team, but it seems very consistent with the goals of supporting the CPL developmental pathway and developing greater depth in our national team player pool.  For me there is virtually no downside to this sort of thing. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Genuinely curious why you would show no interest in having a bunch of National team depth players get experience by playing an all star team from our domestic league.  I don't think anyone believes it would immediately elevate the CPL players or be a big factor in moving fringe nat players towards the first team, but it seems very consistent with the goals of supporting the CPL developmental pathway and developing greater depth in our national team player pool.  For me there is virtually no downside to this sort of thing. 

It's during the next window as we are preparing for Panama correct?   Has nothing to do with the CPL or getting a looking at future potential players.  Doubt the players on the NT would want to play this as they prepare for the game on the 15th.  There would be zero benefit for them.  Doesn't move the needle.

31 minutes ago, Ottawafan said:

It's during the next window as we are preparing for Panama correct?   Has nothing to do with the CPL or getting a looking at future potential players.  Doubt the players on the NT would want to play this as they prepare for the game on the 15th.  There would be zero benefit for them.  Doesn't move the needle.

I think most people are envisioning a B team of fringe nat players that would be playing CPL all stars - not our first 18.  That is what I described, though I may be misunderstanding what is proposed.  But if that is accurate, it wouldn't affect the preparations for the 15th - our first team could still use the time to train and work on tactics before playing Panama. 

Given the limited number of international windows where we can convene the team, I guess I see the potential benefit of doing something like this to help "strengthen the foundation" of the national team by both giving a wide range of fringe players a bit more time/profile on the national stage, and by boosting the profile of CPL.   

9 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I think most people are envisioning a B team of fringe nat players that would be playing CPL all stars - not our first 18.  That is what I described, though I may be misunderstanding what is proposed.  But if that is accurate, it wouldn't affect the preparations for the 15th - our first team could still use the time to train and work on tactics before playing Panama. 

Given the limited number of international windows where we can convene the team, I guess I see the potential benefit of doing something like this to help "strengthen the foundation" of the national team by both giving a wide range of fringe players a bit more time/profile on the national stage, and by boosting the profile of CPL.   

It's all speculation at this point but it would be interesting what the logistics for this would be. Would they train with the first team? If not, does Marsch have separate sessions for each team? Or does he only coach one of the groups?

55 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If it's our B squad, sure.  Why not.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, but I'd be curious to know the cost of trying to host this as well.  I can't see it selling a ton of tickets, and closed door doesn't really promote the CPL.  Though maybe CSB picks up the tab on it...

sirious  

Franklin halbouni McGraw edwards 

Jmr priso biello raposo 

Kerr vilsaint 

We can add guys like Ali, jrr, afrifra or non mls guys but I’m not sure I see the point as we already know them from the 18.

very few guys on the B team would be close enough that a good performance in one game changes anything.

its costly and risks injury/fatigue.

super cool idea but giving 90 minutes to guys in a randomly thrown together squad isnt really moving the needle for the national team or individual devekopnent imo  

I think the value of it depends on how it’s structured.

If CSA and CSB split the tab and it’s an expanded MNT B side + CPL Canadian future prospects all in camp together for the non- Panama part of the window, and Marsch gets to see them all, not only in a match to replace a second friendly, but also in training where he gets to share his philosophies with the wider pool, and if you put a restriction on the CPL players, like that they have to be Canada-eligible and under a certain age such that they are legitimate (if outside) potentials for ‘26 or ‘30 selection, as in the De Briennes, the Greco-Taylors, the Jimohs and Tahids of the league, etc but not the imports and, much as I love them, not the TMGs, Aparicios or Didics …

If you do all of that, I could see it as a win-win-win for the MNT and Marsch thinking long-term, for the players themselves, for the CPL as a showcase leading to sales of players overseas.  

Done right, I like it. 

2 minutes ago, shorty said:

I think the value of it depends on how it’s structured.

If CSA and CSB split the tab and it’s an expanded MNT B side + CPL Canadian future prospects all in camp together for the non- Panama part of the window, and Marsch gets to see them all, not only in a match to replace a second friendly, but also in training where he gets to share his philosophies with the wider pool, and if you put a restriction on the CPL players, like that they have to be Canada-eligible and under a certain age such that they are legitimate (if outside) potentials for ‘26 or ‘30 selection, as in the De Briennes, the Greco-Taylors, the Jimohs and Tahids of the league, etc but not the imports and, much as I love them, not the TMGs, Aparicios or Didics …

If you do all of that, I could see it as a win-win-win for the MNT and Marsch thinking long-term, for the players themselves, for the CPL as a showcase leading to sales of players overseas.  

Done right, I like it. 

A limit that the players are under a certain age and Canada eligible. 

isn’t that just extra steps to say cmnt u-23?

17 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

A limit that the players are under a certain age and Canada eligible. 

isn’t that just extra steps to say cmnt u-23?

Kind of. But if someone said to me Canmnt u23 I would think they’re already identified and participating in camps. There are some guys like Greco-Taylor, Cameron and Tajid that have done so and would fit that definition. But there are lots of others like Jimoh or Gazdov or Abatneh who haven’t.

To my ears anyway. 

47 minutes ago, shorty said:

Kind of. But if someone said to me Canmnt u23 I would think they’re already identified and participating in camps. There are some guys like Greco-Taylor, Cameron and Tajid that have done so and would fit that definition. But there are lots of others like Jimoh or Gazdov or Abatneh who haven’t.

To my ears anyway. 

McDonell too

3 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

McDonell too

Yeah and like Grady a bunch who potentially have other nations they could represent. In the end maybe they end up being like the Baldisimo brothers who eventually realized they were never likely to crack the MNT and represent their heritage country, but this could be a way we cast a wider and earlier net for the next generation of duals. Won’t catch everyone but it’s a start. 

1 hour ago, Bison44 said:

Why not just make it a love fest...invite whichever u-23 CDN the 3 MLS team have kicking around?

Most neglected age group.

Guys who need a look, and/or on the cusps. Organize a game against the most available national team and play a u23 squad. 

GK: Swiderski, Kalongo, 

DF: LDF, JKL,  Franklin, JMR, 
MF: Saliba, Thompson, Colyn, Smith, Priso, Zouhir, 
FW: Kerr, Corbeanu, Nelson, Vilsaint, Poku