September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

11 hours ago, RS said:

It will be temporarily grass in 2026 but that’s it.

This is a recipe for a disaster.

If they didn't learn from the reviews from the Copa I don't know when they will.

I'm okay if they convert it to grass for a year and half or whatever and convert it back... but the temp shit never works.

Edited by Shway

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

If they didn't learn from the reviews from the Copa I don't know when they will.

I'm okay if they convert it to grass for a year and half or whatever and convert it back... but the temp shit never works.

They have already said that they're putting in grass that will be in place by late-2025, prior to the Whitecaps kicking off their 2026 MLS season. The grass will remain in place at least until the end of the Lions' 2026 CFL season. It won't be comparable to the temporary grass that was laid down mere days before the Copa this year.

7 hours ago, Shway said:

As @SthMelbRed stated, temporary doesn’t only mean thrown together a few days/weeks beforehand.

FIFA has already successfully done temporary grass at an American-based World Cup in 1994, there’s no reason to believe they can’t do it against 32 years later.

Copa America cheaped out this year, even compared to eight years ago, and it showed. 

25 minutes ago, RS said:

As @SthMelbRed stated, temporary doesn’t only mean thrown together a few days/weeks beforehand.

FIFA has already successfully done temporary grass at an American-based World Cup in 1994, there’s no reason to believe they can’t do it against 32 years later.

Players were a lot less divas and run down as they were back then, expectations are 32x higher.

25 minutes ago, RS said:

Copa America cheaped out this year, even compared to eight years ago, and it showed. 

This now, I didn't know. The whole thing sounded like a running shitshow. 

11 minutes ago, Shway said:

Players were a lot less divas and run down as they were back then, expectations are 32x higher.

This now, I didn't know. The whole thing sounded like a running shitshow. 

CONMEBOL decided to run the 2024 Copa on their own after SUM/USSF did it in 2016.

It turns out that the Americans know the U.S. soccer landscape better than the South Americans do, and that’s why there were so many problems with this year’s Copa compared to the 2016 version.

But at least CONMEBOL didn’t have to split their profits.

14 hours ago, JamboAl said:

@gator: yes, sales will start tomorrow at 10 am ET.  An email is being prepared now with details.  It’ll be the usual sections in the south end of BMO Field.

Is this the initial sections that they released to us as a feeler? Usually we get the whole south end no? 

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Is this the initial sections that they released to us as a feeler? Usually we get the whole south end no? 

We didn’t ask for all of the south end and I think it may be a struggle to sell all of it.  I have Canada Red & Gold and I can buy in section 116 so the Vs only have 3/5ths of the sound end.  

Ouch - $43.25 a ticket (based on a pair) for cheaper seats. Up to $160 in the best seats.

The Panama friendly in Vancouver a couple of years ago was $30 (plus Screwmaster fees) for the entire lower bowl!

Sigh, remember the days of $20 to $25 tickets for Voyageurs?

Edited by nfitz

1 minute ago, nfitz said:

Ouch - $43.25 a ticket (based on a pair) for cheaper seats. Up to $160 in the best seats.

The Panama friendly in Vancouver a couple of years ago was $30 (plus Screwmaster fees) for the entire lower bowl!

Price gouging . No surprise here 

2 hours ago, nfitz said:

Yeah, we aren’t happy about the Ticketmaster fees nor have we been for a while (I won’t speak for Canada Soccer but I’m sure they aren’t thrilled either).  But it’s been a long time since the south end of BMO was $20 and with inflation, I wouldn’t expect tickets to be that price again.  
The other issue is that if the team were to play a game in a smaller stadium, ticket prices would have to start at around $50 plus fees to make up for the smaller capacity.  At least it’s not $650 to watch a Copa America game in NY or Atlanta but Panama ain’t Argentina either.

Didn't receive an e-mail with a code today from Canada Soccer despite being CanadaRED+GOLD since April 2022. Sent them an e-mail and reached out on Twitter, so hopefully they can get it sorted out and make sure my membership details are accurate in their database. I'm guessing there will still be plenty of tickets left when the public on-sale starts so I'm not too worried about that, but it would have been nice to buy through the fan membership program in case that has any sort of bearing on ticket chances for 2026.

10 hours ago, Neil R. said:

Didn't receive an e-mail with a code today from Canada Soccer despite being CanadaRED+GOLD since April 2022. Sent them an e-mail and reached out on Twitter, so hopefully they can get it sorted out and make sure my membership details are accurate in their database. I'm guessing there will still be plenty of tickets left when the public on-sale starts so I'm not too worried about that, but it would have been nice to buy through the fan membership program in case that has any sort of bearing on ticket chances for 2026.

Are you 100% sure you renewed the membership? I only ask as I got my code yesterday morning. 

16 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Yeah, we aren’t happy about the Ticketmaster fees nor have we been for a while (I won’t speak for Canada Soccer but I’m sure they aren’t thrilled either).  But it’s been a long time since the south end of BMO was $20 and with inflation, I wouldn’t expect tickets to be that price again.  
The other issue is that if the team were to play a game in a smaller stadium, ticket prices would have to start at around $50 plus fees to make up for the smaller capacity.  At least it’s not $650 to watch a Copa America game in NY or Atlanta but Panama ain’t Argentina either.

We took the cheaper tickets, saved the money and got in our steps climbing to our seats.  And we got as many insults thrown our way as you did for $300 less!!

11 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

We took the cheaper tickets, saved the money and got in our steps climbing to our seats.  And we got as many insults thrown our way as you did for $300 less!!

I know…in hindsight, I should have been up there with you folks.

On 8/21/2024 at 2:20 PM, nfitz said:

Compare these prices to Toronto FC tickets... and then compare the level of player you'll get to see. 

The only outfit to blame here is Ticketmaster and their exorbitant fees!

2 hours ago, TOcanadafan said:

Compare these prices to Toronto FC tickets... and then compare the level of player you'll get to see. 

The only outfit to blame here is Ticketmaster and their exorbitant fees!

Yah okay buddy....I'm picking to watch Insigne over anybody in the CMNT 9x out of 10. That guy is a magician.