September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, xabuep2 said:

Confirmed! Panama will play against Canada and the US in the October window, according to coach Thomas Christiansen

Thanks for sharing the news.

For those looking for what he said to throw into your preferred translation app:

"Ahora tenemos ... en (un) principio cuatro partidos amistosos, dos en septiembre y dos en octubre.
Los de octubre estan cerrados
[locked in], contra Estados Unidos y Canadá...."

He mentions the Canada friendly is confirmed in the same way he mentions the USA one that US Soccer has already announced. So (unless the players go on strike again), this is 100% going to happen and probably already signed.

----

On 7/6/2024 at 8:55 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

It would need to be October 15th (second match of the FIFA window) ; they are the only decently ranked team left if the USA host Mexico on that day.

If this is a home game, my guess is that Montreal hosts on Tuesday, October 15th. 

Then CONCACAF Nations League returns to Toronto on Monday, November 18th or Tuesday, November 19th 

Montreal and Toronto are the only Canadian cities served by Copa Airlines, and both have a direct Air Canada flight from Austin on Sunday, October 13th.

Panama is a good opponent to play in Montreal because the opposing team's diaspora always shows up in big numbers there, compared to Canadian support, but Panama doesn't have a big diaspora.

It will have been 7 years and 4 months since the #CanMNT last played in Montreal; they will have played in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Hamilton since then. The media narrative writes itself, last time only 6000 people showed up for Alphonso Davies first #CanMNT match, so show up this time if you don't want to wait another 7½ years or more for another match!

Previous and next event at various stadiums:
• Commonwealth in Edmonton, Elks games October 5th and October 25th
• IG Field in Winnipeg, Blue Bombers October 11th , Valour October 19th
• Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Forge October 12th, TigerCats October 18th
• TD Place in Ottawa, Atlético September 29th, Atlético October 19th
• BC Place in Vancouver, Whitecaps October 5th, BC Lions October 19th
• BMO Field in Toronto, TFC on October 5th, Argos on October 19th
• Stade Saputo in Montreal, CF Montréal September 28th, CF Montréal October 19th

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 4:39 PM, xabuep2 said:

Confirmed! Panama will play against Canada and the US in the October window, according to coach Thomas Christiansen

https://x.com/ricardoicaza7/status/1811835398902976744

He actually also said this even earlier!

On Monday last week.

I cannot cannot find any rumours or news about the location.

---

Still no news about about that weird Malaysia wikipedia edit.

6 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Montreal would be nice for October. I doubt it's anywhere out West given the time it takes to fly there from Europe or elsewhere.

A growing part of the core is from the Montreal area. Crepeau, Bombito, Kone, Choiniere if you want to count him. David is French-speaking and from not-so-far-away Ottawa.

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

A growing part of the core is from the Montreal area. Crepeau, Bombito, Kone, Choiniere if you want to count him. David is French-speaking and from not-so-far-away Ottawa.

Plus, it’s not like the Habs are going to be any good for at least the next 5 years, so Quebec needs to hammer hard on making soccer be a thing here right now. Outside of Montreal he definitely is, but even in the city, Kone may be a bigger name than any keb hockey player around right now. 

I know someone else already mentioned above but I’m so impressed by his work ethics so far. After the hectic 2 months he had since he took over the team, I don’t think anyone would’ve blamed him if he decided to go back to Italy for a week with the family to decompress. Instead he’s now on a multi city tour of Canada, meeting fans and coaches, watching matches, doing a ton of media. I mean when does this dude sleep. 

Posted (edited)
On 7/12/2024 at 9:45 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The media narrative writes itself, last time only 6000 people showed up for Alphonso Davies first #CanMNT match, so show up this time if you don't want to wait another 7½ years or more for another match!

I should also have mentioned that Marsch, Montreal's first MLS coach, returning to the city after over a decade jumping to bigger and bigger teams in the football world and growing in prestige, is also a great story.

On 7/12/2024 at 8:45 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

Thanks for sharing the news.

For those looking for what he said to throw into your preferred translation app:

"Ahora tenemos ... en (un) principio cuatro partidos amistosos, dos en septiembre y dos en octubre.
Los de octubre estan cerrados
[locked in], contra Estados Unidos y Canadá...."

He mentions the Canada friendly is confirmed in the same way he mentions the USA one that US Soccer has already announced. So (unless the players go on strike again), this is 100% going to happen and probably already signed.

----

If this is a home game, my guess is that Montreal hosts on Tuesday, October 15th. 

Then CONCACAF Nations League returns to Toronto on Monday, November 18th or Tuesday, November 19th 

Montreal and Toronto are the only Canadian cities served by Copa Airlines, and both have a direct Air Canada flight from Austin on Sunday, October 13th.

Panama is a good opponent to play in Montreal because the opposing team's diaspora always shows up in big numbers there, compared to Canadian support, but Panama doesn't have a big diaspora.

It will have been 7 years and 4 months since the #CanMNT last played in Montreal; they will have played in Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton and Hamilton since then. The media narrative writes itself, last time only 6000 people showed up for Alphonso Davies first #CanMNT match, so show up this time if you don't want to wait another 7½ years or more for another match!

Previous and next event at various stadiums:
• Commonwealth in Edmonton, Elks games October 5th and October 25th
• IG Field in Winnipeg, Blue Bombers October 11th , Valour October 19th
• Tim Hortons Field in Hamilton, Forge October 12th, TigerCats October 18th
• TD Place in Ottawa, Atlético September 29th, Atlético October 19th
• BC Place in Vancouver, Whitecaps October 5th, BC Lions October 19th
• BMO Field in Toronto, TFC on October 5th, Argos on October 19th
• Stade Saputo in Montreal, CF Montréal September 28th, CF Montréal October 19th

Panamanians do not usually emigrate. However, under the regime of dictator Manuel Noriega, many middle-class Panamanians arrived in Canada in the 1980s because they did not require visas. There are very small Panamanian communities in Toronto and Montreal, since the majority returned when the US removed the dictator in 1989. I understand that the majority of them are in Toronto, but it is a very small diaspora as @Olympique_de_Marseillesaid.