September and October 2024 friendly matches (plans, speculation, rumours etc.)

6 minutes ago, Dominic94 said:

Don’t we have 2 September friendlies now.

We do.....now we got to sort out a barren October. 

Haven't been following the discussions too closely lately, but it basically comes down to some Asian or African minnows, I am pretty sure. Everyone else is in WCQ. To make matters worse, USA already have Panama booked for October, so that's one less potential opponent, unless we book them for their second game of the window. 

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Haven't been following the discussions too closely lately, but it basically comes down to some Asian or African minnows, I am pretty sure. Everyone else is in WCQ. To make matters worse, USA already have Panama booked for October, so that's one less potential opponent, unless we book them for their second game of the window. 

No bigger teams to be grabbed ?

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

Something tells me they won’t come up here 😬 

8 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The list is on page three of this thread.

Wow.  Now that is a barren list...we got our high quality matches in when we could, obviously.  Seeing what these friendlies offers maybe makes the fall call-ups a bit more experimental.

To recap that info:

Here is the list of teams we can play in September &/or October, sorted by current FIFA ranking:

11 USA 🇺🇸 
15 Mexico 🇲🇽 
43 Panama 🇵🇦 
 🇨🇦 We are currently ranked 48th 🇨🇦
93 Syria 🇸🇾 
100 Thailand 🇹🇭 
102 Tajikistan 🇹🇯 
107 New Zealand 🇳🇿 (September only)
116 Vietnam 🇻🇳 
117 Lebanon 🇱🇧 
124 India 🇮🇳 
130 & below↓, other OFC Teams (September only)
135 Malaysia 🇲🇾 
144 Turkmenistan 🇹🇲 
147 Philippines 🇵🇭 
150 & below↓,  nineteen other AFC Teams
179 & below↓,  six CAF teams
I have excluded the teams in the UEFA Nations League D, as the logistics of playing them would be difficult and they mostly already have friendlies scheduled as they are in groups of 3.
All 6 of those UEFA teams are ranked below 150.

For October , maybe play USA and Mexico again in Canada at CPL stadium - Winnipeg or Halifax would be great - maybe have both teams start their depth players and finish with their starters.  Be nice to see LDF, Bair, JRR and others play.  

Key is to get the games in so the team and coach can gel and get the system down. 

28 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

That would be great, and that is @A Different Perspective , but sadly I don't think the finances are there.

Not only are the finances not there but the flights to/from Europe for both Winnipeg and Halifax would be through Toronto/Montreal. It's financially and logistically not going to happen.

On 6/26/2024 at 6:25 AM, RJB said:

We ought to resurrect the North American Nations Cup.

Honestly they might as well, they revamped Nations League so the top 4 weren't bothered with all those meaningless games and they could shortcut straight to the big final but apparently they're still complaining about that. Just drop the facade and guarantee US vs. Mexico in a competitive game every time (keep the classic format with us in a round-robin for variety)

Posted (edited)
On 6/22/2024 at 9:49 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

93 Syria 🇸🇾 
100 Thailand 🇹🇭 
102 Tajikistan 🇹🇯 
147 Philippines 🇵🇭 

On 6/22/2024 at 9:50 PM, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

The rumour is that Thailand 🇹🇭 is looking to invite 3 teams for the King's Cup during the October FIFA window

We aren't going to Thailand in October.

They have announced that the three invited teams are Syria, Tajikistan and The Philippines.

----

Malaysia will also be playing matches against Asian opponents in October:

https://www.malaymail.com/amp/news/sports/2024/06/13/fam-malaysia-expected-to-face-top-rated-teams-in-merdeka-tournament/139601

------

My speculation:

The most likely scenario is that we don't play at all during the October window.

In the more unlikely scenario where we do play matches:

October matchday #1:

Mexico has not announced anything

October matchday #2:

Panama and Mexico have not announced anything

To my knowledge, Vietnam, Lebanon and India and other much lower ranked Asian, African and OFC teams have not announced any October plans yet.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

4 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

If we don’t play games, I wonder what the odds are if an intensive “take a look at everyone” camp. 

I think it depends on our finances.  I thought holding there camps are expensive.

Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

In the more unlikely scenario where we do play matches:

October matchday #1:

Mexico has not announced anything

October matchday #2:

Panama and Mexico have not announced anything

We are playing Mexico in September no? Don't see us playing them again in October.

Panama is a possibility I guess.

Edited by mpg_29

Posted (edited)

If Canada can win on Friday, and then make it to the 3rd place match, that would be $2M + $5M USD in prize money.  That should cover expenses and then some for the fall windows.

Of course, the organizers need to also pay on time.

Edited by cornerkick

4 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

If Canada can win on Friday, and then make it to the 3rd place match, that would be $2M + $5M USD in prize money.  That should cover expenses and then some for the fall windows.

Of course, the organizers need to also pay on time.

I wonder if the money the Canadian MLS teams put up to hire Marsh would be paid back with some of these winnings.

Also… doesn’t the CSB contractually get some (all) of the money?

28 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I wonder if the money the Canadian MLS teams put up to hire Marsh would be paid back with some of these winnings.

Also… doesn’t the CSB contractually get some (all) of the money?

CSB deal only involves media rights and sponsors ex betting/hard liquor.

Canada Soccer will need to split the money with the players. Canada Soccer is onside with splitting it 50/50 with the men/women. But they have only a temp CBA deal with the women. And nothing with the men with a key sticking point being if they're sharing prize monies with the women, they want 70%+ of the money going to the players.

Posted (edited)

There is a rumour that Lebanon 🇱🇧 and India 🇮🇳 have been invited by the VFF to play friendlies in Vietnam 🇻🇳 :

https://bongda.com.vn/vff-moi-quan-xanh-chat-luong-cho-dt-viet-nam-phong-phu-ha-nam-thua-ha-noi-o-giai-u16-nu-qg-d741812.html

---

There is a rumour that the USA 🇺🇸 and Mexico 🇲🇽 are in negotiations for a friendly match in October:

---

Canada is now the highest ranked team with no rumoured or confirmed friendly or official match for the month of October.

The next highest team I could find with nothing confirmed? Turkmenistan 🇹🇲 at 144th in the rankings.

---

The only realistic opponents are:

October Match #1 Mexico (again)

October Match #2 Panama

or inviting a minnow or not playing at all in one or both parts of October.

Edited by Olympique_de_Marseille

9 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

There is a rumour that Lebanon 🇱🇧 and India 🇮🇳 have been invited by the VFF to play friendlies in Vietnam 🇻🇳 :

https://bongda.com.vn/vff-moi-quan-xanh-chat-luong-cho-dt-viet-nam-phong-phu-ha-nam-thua-ha-noi-o-giai-u16-nu-qg-d741812.html

---

There is a rumour that the USA 🇺🇸 and Mexico 🇲🇽 are in negotiations for a friendly match in October:

---

Canada is now the highest ranked team with no rumoured or confirmed friendly or official match for the month of October.

The next highest team I could find with nothing confirmed? Turkmenistan 🇹🇲 at 144th in the rankings.

---

The only realistic opponents are:

October Match #1 Mexico (again)

October Match #2 Panama

or inviting a minnow or not playing at all in one or both parts of October.

Since we have a confirmed friendly against the USA 🇺🇸 then why not play Mexico too in a friendly?