Paris Olympics 2024

Sorry, I don't believe the players didn't know this was going on. They may not have watched drone footage, but to say they had no idea it was happening, I can't buy that. In their defense though, I believe the use of drones is a coaching decision, which is beyond their control. So their choice is play knowing the coach is spying, or quit the team. If it were me, I'd choose play.

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I think the punishment is fair. Incredibly unfair to the players, but there has to be a deterrent for this sort of thing. 6 points means that the women aren't guaranteed eliminated, they can still make it to the knockout round if they win all 3 matches. They won't, but it's possible.

Priestman and her staff will lose their jobs over this and her coaching career at this level is all but done.

All to get a win over New Zealand....

Umm, it sure seems like this just wasnt NZ, but its been the standard operating procedure for Herdman/Priestman caoched teams for awhile.  Wonder how long it takes before Westhead sicks MLS on Herdman insinuating he is doing it currently, getting him canned from TFC would be a real feather in his cap.  Maybe kill TSN's MLS ratings in a fan backlash... OOOPPSSS!!!!  

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Percent chance the same punishment would be given out if a team like USA or Germany had been the ones caught?

100% slap on the wrist if this is the USA.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Is it possible for Canada to appeal this? It would have to be quick...

They should appeal, even if they get it down to three points.

In IOC issues the national committees always appeal, like in relays race sanctions or anything, you have to do it and not just roll over stupidly.

Sometimes in fact the harsh sanctions are given anticipating reducing them after an appeal.

Otherwise it's virtually impossible for us to get out of the group and it distorts the rest of group results unfavourably for all of them. 

2 hours ago, narduch said:

I guess the next shoe to drop will be losing the Tokyo gold

Hopefully (and probably) not, but it seems like the only punishment remaining once the IOC get their claws into this. 

😔

Edited by gwsmith63

I see this is the third headline Olympics story, after Spanish content, in Spanish daily Sport, the third story in Mundo Deportivo, also one of the non-British headlines in The Guardian. A major story.

The stupidity of the CSA people and Priestman making random confessions without being asked, I find it dumbfounding. Incriminating each other like a bunch of teens accused of shoplifting. Just shut up, and when you get to the hearing where you are sworn to tell the truth, tell it. 

Now, as we stand, since no one can shut up, I hope Priestman comes out clearly and incriminates Herdman, because he is a backstabbing SOB who went after his predecessor in a sly way, and is now trying to get his successor to take a major fall for something he initiated and enabled.

Related to the IOC ruling retrospectively: they do, and often years afterward, such as for doping, but also for other issues (Canadian Sylvie Frechette lost the gold synchro in Barcelona 1992 due to an error entering a score, and later they fixed it and gave her co-gold). They are in fact the one international sports body that will rearrange results years later, and award the medals correspondingly. I'm thinking in contrast of the International Cycling Federation, who took all of Lance Armstrong's 7 straight Tours away from him but never gave them to the 2nd place finisher (Ullrich many times, Beloki once, Zulle), nor moved up the third place rider ever. They just left it, so there is really no justice as a consequence of a legitimate sanction. Otherwise Ullrich would be one of the greatest riders ever, and guys who were fantastic like Beloki but never won have no legacy benefit  at all despite having competed against a cheater.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

11 minutes ago, reggietfc said:

apparently players fighting in stands and players singing racist songs dont matter to fifa

I think what makes FIFA react here, unlike Copa, is that the IOC puts direct and immediate pressure on them. So the international federations are given the decision-making powers but the IOC insists on immediate repercussions. In many ways, if they don't react, then that federation is put in doubt.

At Copa, with Conmebol and Concacaf diddling, FIFA just deferred to their disciplinary bodies. 

Team Canada might as well go home.  Even if they were to win against France and Colombia they will only have 3 points since the wins get offset with the -6 imposed by Fifa.

I wonder if all this would have been different had Canada lost to New Zealand. 

Why spy anyway when Priestman's is married to a New Zealand ex player who could have provided far better intelligence.

4 hours ago, shermanator said:

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

I think the punishment is fair. Incredibly unfair to the players, but there has to be a deterrent for this sort of thing. 6 points means that the women aren't guaranteed eliminated, they can still make it to the knockout round if they win all 3 matches. They won't, but it's possible.

Priestman and her staff will lose their jobs over this and her coaching career at this level is all but done.

All to get a win over New Zealand....

This. It's an unfair situation for the players, but the blame is on the staff, not on FIFA. The wronged party is New Zealand, and for them it's potentially a 6-point swing vs. Canada (of course likely much less in reality, but you can't prove that). Giving points to NZ (e.g. by making Canada forfeit the game) could be unfair to other teams, so the solution is to remove 6 points from Canada.

By winning the last 2 games, Canada would almost certainly qualify for the Quarterfinals, and likely as 2nd in the group.

Canada could even qualify with a win and a draw, although that would require a lot of help. For example, if Canada draws France and beats Colombia, Colombia and NZ draw, and France beats NZ, then Canada finishes 2nd in the group with 1 point. Or if a 3rd place team in another group gets only 1 point, then Canada would get a wild card berth if it finishes 3rd with 1 point. Any tiebreaker at 1 point automatically goes Canada's way since Canada's would be the only team with a positive goal differential.

Edited by Allez les Rouges
Typo

If Canada doesn't get three or more points from the final two games, will the eternal results tables for this Olympics show them with negative points? And has that happened before for any team?

Is using an illegal player more serious that using a drone??  If I remember correctly back in 2022 WC qualifiers Ecuador men used an illegal player (Byron Castillo) but they were sanctioned with 3 points, only to apply for the 2026 qualifiers.

3 hours ago, RJB said:

Of course.  FIFA goes after teams it can get away with punishing, and top teams miss out.  

Agree.  And where is the punishing for all the complaints against the US resulting from Copa America.

I think the team has to come out hard and get some good results, if for no other reason than to show the lay person that they can win without cheating. If Canada phones it in the final two matches and takes 2 losses, people will say as soon as they stop cheating they start losing. So these games are still meaningful, even if progression is very unlikely.