Paris Olympics 2024

18 hours ago, Kingston said:

Perhaps.  And if they threaten that, then play but make a complete mockery of the game.  Use a 0-0-11 formation with no players in our own half so that the score is ridiculous.  Fake injuries every minute.  Do deliberate hand balls.  Haul down opponents (non-inuringly) by their shirts.  Waste time.  Infringe.  Dare the refs to hand out enough cards that we go down to six players and forfeit the game.  

I'm glad that that didn't happen.

If the penalty had been to forfeit the NZ game instead of 6 points, then arguably Canada wouldn't have pushed that hard for the winning goal against France: getting a point in this game would have been crucial. (A forfeit normally counts as a 0-3 loss, so it affects goal differential too.)

Then the standings would be 4-3-3-1, putting Canada in almost the exact same situation: win and you likely finish 2nd, lose or draw and you go home.

1 hour ago, Allez les Rouges said:

Shireen Ahmed on CBC's Paris Tonight said that if Canada wins the last game, maybe we'd finish 3rd in the group, blah blah blah.

Drones worse than the Ben Johnson scandal? Can't game out scenarios involving just the last 2 games in the group?

Why did CBC send a complete idiot to the Olympics?

I don’t want to open a can of worm. But I can’t help but say they sent her there because of political right.

Edited by lamptern

6 hours ago, jonovision said:

So, is Colombia good? They did the business today, and had a nice comeback vs France, but they also went down 3-0.

I was hoping to watch their match vs NZ but CBC Gem doesn't have the replay of it for some reason.  As in the WWC, they are prone to defensive brain cramps but they are dangerous on the attack, especially on the counter.  Linda Caicedo is a handful on the LW but Ramirez makes things tick up top:  she should have scored on some great chances but I think she's best when she sets stuff up for others.  Unfortunately for us, she's back from suspension for this one.

We might be able to go back to a third forward in this match but I think you can get maximize Fleming's influence by having two other central mids doing more of the defensive work, so I would stick with a similar set up.  The questions for me are up top and also do you start the influential Beckie in a wingback role on the right and move Lawrence left.  

Edited by BearcatSA

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

I was hoping to watch their match vs NZ but CBC Gem doesn't have the replay of it for some reason.  As in the WWC, they are prone to defensive brain cramps but they are dangerous on the attack, especially on the counter.  Linda Caicedo is a handful on the LW but Ramirez makes things tick up top:  she should have scored on some great chances but I think she's best when she sets stuff up for others.  Unfortunately for us, she's back from suspension for this one.

We might be able to go back to a third forward in this match but I think you can get maximize Fleming's influence by having two other central mids doing more of the defensive work, so I would stick with a similar set up.  The questions for me are up top and also do you start the influential Beckie in a wingback role on the right and move Lawrence left.  

Radio-Canada has it: https://ici.tou.tv/evenement-en-direct/42052

18 hours ago, Kingston said:

Ultimately, I actually am, too, but I would like to see someone stuff FIFA and the IOC.

Here’s to hoping for a third place pass.

It is impossible for Canada to finish 3rd and advance to the knockout round.

If we win we will be in either 1st (New Zealand beats France by less than 6 or so) or 2nd (France beat New Zealand, or a tie, or New Zealand overtakes our goal difference).

If we draw we finish 3rd if New Zealand loses or draws. That would put us on 1 point, which is already lower than 3rd place in the other 2 groups.

We can also finish 3rd on 0 points if we lose and New Zealand loses, assuming our goal difference is better than theirs.

11 hours ago, Allez les Rouges said:

Drones worse than the Ben Johnson scandal? Can't game out scenarios involving just the last 2 games in the group?

Unless every other country was flying drones you can't compare it to Ben Johnson.  Every guy in his race was on the juice, they just timed it better.

16 hours ago, Allez les Rouges said:

Shireen Ahmed on CBC's Paris Tonight said that if Canada wins the last game, maybe we'd finish 3rd in the group, blah blah blah.

Why did CBC send a complete idiot to the Olympics?

Like I get there are practical considerations, but I dislike it when CBC has 'general' panelists giving hot takes on sports they clearly don't know much about. Why is Craig McMorris talking about 'huge' upsets in basketball when he clearly learned who some of these players were a week ago? Not everyone can be an expert on everything, and we need panelists to keep things moving on, but there's no need for some of these takes.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

Like I get there are practical considerations, but I dislike it when CBC has 'general' panelists giving hot takes on sports they clearly don't know much about. Why is Craig McMorris talking about 'huge' upsets in basketball when he clearly learned who some of these players were a week ago? Not everyone can be an expert on everything, and we need panelists to keep things moving on, but there's no need for some of these takes.

I agree.

At least McMorris is just a panelist. Nobody else will remember this, but CFL great-turned-broadcaster Ron Lancaster did play-by-play for basketball during the 1988 Olympics. The word didn’t exist back then, but it was beyond cringeworthy due to his lack of basketball knowledge.

He was an all-time great quarterback, though.

Edited by Treppy2

Sorry for the duplicate comment, but the below comment I made in the dronegate thread also belongs here, in case there are people following this thread and not the other.

For fun, some permutations for the possibilities after the appeal.

Getting the deduction reduced to 5 from 6 doesn't seem to change anything. We still need a win. Maybe it could help with placing in some scenarios, but I'm not sure.

If we are only docked 4 points, a tie could get us through to the knockouts if New Zealand beats France.

If our deduction changes to 3 points, a tie would be enough for us to advance. We could advance with a loss if New Zealand beats France.

If our deduction falls to 2 points, we would advance with a 1 goal loss if New Zealand ties France.

If we are only deducted 1 point we advance with a loss if France draws or loses.

If we get our deduction completely erased we would at the very least be in a tie breaker as one of the best 3rd place teams.