Paris Olympics 2024

5 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

CBC just announced that the women’s team has been sanctioned with a 6 pt deduction for the Olympic tournament.  

What the fuck, whether it was the Olympic committee or FIFA that made that decision, it’s wrong. Fine Canada Soccer, Suspend the Staff forever , do NOT punish the players and ruin their Olympic dreams based on a decision they had nothing to do with.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Advancing will be hard but not impossible. 

We can finish with 3 points if we win all 3.  If France wins its other non-Canadian game, they would have 6 pts.  We could get second if either Columbia and NZ tie (they finish with 1 point each) or we beat the winner of that game on tie break (I assume it is goal differential).  Important that we win all 3 and score as many as possible.

Today, I am French.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Advancing will be hard but not impossible. 

We can finish with 3 points if we win all 3.  If France wins its other non-Canadian game, they would have 6 pts.  We could get second if either Columbia and NZ tie (they finish with 1 point each) or we beat the winner of that game on tie break (I assume it is goal differential).  Important that we win all 3 and score as many as possible.

Jim Carrey Chance GIF

If we get out of the group, it would be one of the most epic moments in Canadian sporting history.

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Percent chance the same punishment would be given out if a team like USA or Germany had been the ones caught?

Zero. Exactly my thought as I heard the punishment. F’n crap. Team is punished instead of those responsible.  As soon as they are mathematically eliminated they should just stand on the field extending their middle fingers letting the opposition win 35-0.  Or go out and kick the shit out of their opponents.  Not sure right now.

I think it’s harsh but the idea that the “team is punished instead of those responsible” makes no sense. The coaches are part of the team. If they do something in violation of the rules for the benefit of the team than obviously the team has to suffer the punishment too.

the punishment should have just been forfeiting the NZ match or a 3 point deduction. They were only caught cheating for that one match so I don’t see how a two match deduction makes sense.

The problem is that laymen are massively overrating the benefit of these drone sessions and think every win is tainted now. Even on the men’s side.

Edited by Floortom

8 minutes ago, Floortom said:

I think it’s harsh but the idea that the “team is punished instead of those responsible” makes no sense. The coaches are part of the team. If they do something in violation of the rules for the benefit of the team than obviously the team has to suffer the punishment too.

the punishment should have just been forfeiting the NZ match or a 3 point deduction. They were only caught cheating for that one match so I don’t see how a two match deduction makes sense.

The problem is that laymen are massively overrating the benefit of these drone sessions and think every win is tainted now. Even on the men’s side.

This is what I suggested Canada should have done but would have Fifa taken it into account with what they were going to do?

Edited by mpg_29

7 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Yes, this is entirely logical. Otherwise there’d be a massive loophole for staff to cheat on behalf of the team and yet the results not be impacted.

12 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Agree with this. It is unfortunately a team issue.   And at the risk of coming across like an asshole, I am genuinely curious how the Canadian media (especially CBC) treats this issue going forward.  

Our women’s team have always been held up as an exemplar by Canadian media.  In the context of this Olympic Games (where the opening ceremonies left no doubt that it is all about gender equality), it will be interesting to see if the media gives the team the sort of rough treatment it normally applies to other cheaters.   

19 minutes ago, jonovision said:

NZ has to be super pissed about the way this worked out.

I don’t think awarding them 3 points would have been fair to the pool, unless you are going to kick Canada out and award everyone 3 points. 

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

Agree with this. It is unfortunately a team issue.   And at the risk of coming across like an asshole, I am genuinely curious how the Canadian media (especially CBC) treats this issue going forward.  

Our women’s team have always been held up as an exemplar by Canadian media.  In the context of this Olympic Games (where the opening ceremonies left no doubt that it is all about gender equality), it will be interesting to see if the media gives the team the sort of rough treatment it normally applies to other cheaters.   

They have already been doing so constantly for days.

Just now, Soro17 said:

I don’t think awarding them 3 points would have been fair to the pool, unless you are going to kick Canada out and award everyone 3 points. 

True, but they will have been the only team to face Canada while we had something to play for. And the only one "cheated" against.

Just now, jonovision said:

They have already been doing so constantly for days.

Actually, it was quickly generalized to a broader Canada Soccer story by talking about Herdman and (as men’s coach) the Honduras accusation.   

But I am mainly talking about how self righteous the media acts.  In the way you believe this would be handled differently (by governing authorities) if it were the US or Germany, I suspect a different narrative will be applied by Canadian media because it is our women’s team.   

I feel really bad for the players who have put so much time and effort getting to this point only to see their Olympic dream turn into a nightmare, they will always be unfairly tainted by some for just being part of this team and I am assuming they knew nothing about the cheating! The punishment I think is too harsh but not surprising, I would like to see them have some kind of reaction to this but unfortunately playing your hardest and somehow getting out of the group is unattainable now! It will be very interesting to see their reaction, I hope there is one while all of the ambulance chasing press are following even closer than when they were having success on the pitch!

1 minute ago, mpg_29 said:

Is it possible for Canada to appeal this? It would have to be quick...

I doubt we do it.  If this is what makes this go away (and guarantees that people will not entertain the idea of overturning the Tokyo decision) I suspect the team will put their heads down and focus on winning their next 2 games.   

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

It took CAS 2 years to dismiss the appeal of the scuzzy cheating Russian figure skater. I’m skeptical an appeal will be dealt with in a timely manner. Add in the Canadian need to self-flagellate and die an honorable death and we probably won’t even appeal.