Paris Olympics 2024

Honestly as difficult as it would have been the main way to "right this" to have an untainted tournament would have been to forfeit the game against New Zealand imo. 

Alternatively I guess if Canada loses against New Zealand this whole thing might be an afterthought pretty quickly. But if we win against them it's going to taint everything.

17 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

How would this work? FIFA is in charge of the Olympic tournament?...

Yes, or at least it is sanctioned by FIFA.  For example , that is why the men's tournament is u-23 even though the IOC has long wanted the Olympic tournament to be another world cup.

All international bodies (FIBA, IAAF, etc.) regulate the olympic competition for their particular sport.

Edited by Metro

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, RJB said:

It was an interview on the TSN website, I can't find it now.  It didn't sound like a TSN reporter that I recognize.  They asked if she knew about it, and just went straight into an apology. 

It was a CBC produced interview. But as with recent Olympics, CBC is sharing content rights with TSN/SN.

https://www.cbc.ca/player/play/video/9.6457078

Edited by red card

1 hour ago, Ally McCoist said:

What's funny is at the time we thought this was all bullshit and just your stereotypical CONCACAF shenanigans. But now in hindsight, Herdman 100% ordered drones.

I don't know about anyone else, but I always assumed we were spying and that Herdman was being cheeky with his comments. I did kind of think that was the common interpretation, but I don't actually remember the conversation. The main difference here is that no one got arrested so no one really cared.

Remember when Bielsa admitted to spying on the entire league? Leeds got slapped with a small fine predicated on violating some general rule, no one really cared all that much, and a new specific rule got put in place to prevent spying on opposition.

I am curious what rule using a drone to spy on opposition is violating. I'm not saying there isn't one, but what is in place that says this is not allowed and to punish this?

Possibly the most dominant half of soccer I've watched in some time. And I watched Argentina-Canada twice in two weeks. The quality of chances is getting better as the game goes on. New Zealand, in addition to their errant passing, just seems rather unfit.

9 hours ago, jonovision said:

New Zealand are up, but they look truly terrible. Why did we spy on them?

That's the part that is completely baffling.   Its New Zealand for crying out loud.   Why did we need to spy on New Zealand of all teams? What competitive advantage did they need?   New Zealand is not a top rated side.

Buy the way, this story made the news world wide so its a black mark on all our athletes.   Not the way you want start an Olympics 

Edited by Free kick

12 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

What's funny is at the time we thought this was all bullshit and just your stereotypical CONCACAF shenanigans. But now in hindsight, Herdman 100% ordered drones.

Actually, the tweet you were quoting wasn't about when Honduras accused us of spying on them. This was Herdman stopping a practice in Toronto because of a drone. I just looked up the dates and the tweet is from the day before we had a World Cup Qualifier in Toronto against El Salvador. So I guess the implication is that it was possibly a Salvadoran drone spying on Canada.

Here is the google translated text of the tweet.

A DRONE STOPPED THE PRACTICE!😬 While Canada 🇨🇦 was carrying out its training on the grass of BMO Field, a Drone was flying over the venue, and therefore, coach John #Herdman asked to suspend the practice. The security staff claimed to be unaware of the Drone's intentions.

My question is exactly what @El Diego mentioned. I am curious the wording of the rule or rules that were violated. Are there punishments mentioned for this kind of infraction?

My hopes are...

1. I hope the team is allowed to stay in the tournament.

2. I hope the 2020(1) Gold medals are kept.

3. I hope it's not a Ben Johnson type of situation where everyone does this but we are the only ones that get exposed/punished.

P.S. Glad the team picked up 3 points today! They had me worried for a while that it wasn't going to happen.

We still had work to do but with the women putting the World Cup behind them, the guys doing well, the CPL attendence trending north, the MLS clubs doing well for that too, NSL being around the corner and Blue making headway money things were looking up. My Soccer was finally starting to be once again able to make me forget, for two or three hours apiece, about the general state of the world and the fact my generation was screwed economically so badly that someone who had exactly the same job then I have twenty years ago would have WAYYYY better off then I am all others things being equal. And now this...

Obviously it sucks way more for the players but still...

image.jpeg.c541f0cec03bb13ce4df18a6aa19e67a.jpeg

Edited by phil03

25 minutes ago, Kent said:

My question is exactly what @El Diego mentioned. I am curious the wording of the rule or rules that were violated. Are there punishments mentioned for this kind of infraction?

My hopes are...

1. I hope the team is allowed to stay in the tournament.

2. I hope the 2020(1) Gold medals are kept.

3. I hope it's not a Ben Johnson type of situation where everyone does this but we are the only ones that get exposed/punished.

P.S. Glad the team picked up 3 points today! They had me worried for a while that it wasn't going to happen.

Found it. I'm on mobile so can't easily quote the sections but I looked at them earlier and they're general provisions against not doing anything bad, similar to the ones Bielsa was charged with.

I'm honestly flabbergasted with how seriously people are taking this. So many people on Twitter are actually saying Canada's gold should be in jeopardy.

Screenshot_20240725_201157_Samsung Internet.jpg

So if I've found those correctly.

Article 13 of FIFA Disciplinary code. https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/1b1c85f7bbc8b3e6/original/i8zsik8xws0pyl8uay9i-pdf.pdf (note this is dated 2019, not sure if there is a newer version. What is quoted below is very general, but still doesn't really seem relevant to me).

"Any person who offends the dignity or integrity of a country, a person or group of people through contemptuous, discriminatory or derogatory words or actions (by any means whatsoever) on account of race, skin colour, ethnic, national or social origin, gender, disability, sexual orientation, language, religion, political opinion, wealth, birth or any other status or any other reason, shall be sanctioned with a suspension lasting at least ten matches or a specific period, or any other appropriate disciplinary measure."

The punishment for breaking the rule above.

"a) For a first offence, playing a match with a limited number of spectators and a fine of at least CHF 20,000 shall be imposed on the association or club concerned;

b) For reoffenders or if the circumstances of the case require it, disciplinary measures such as the implementation of a prevention plan, a fine, a points deduction, playing one or more matches without spectators, a ban on playing in a particular stadium, the forfeiting of a match, expulsion from a competition or relegation to a lower division may be imposed on the association or club concerned."

Article 6.1 of Regulations Olympic Football https://digitalhub.fifa.com/m/6d0bae4186ea5322/original/Regulations-for-the-Olympic-Football-Tournaments-2024-preliminary-competition_EN_final.pdf

"The member associations that participate in the preliminary competition (the “Participating Member Associations”) agree to comply with and ensure that every Delegation Member (players, coaches, managers, officials, media officers, representatives, guests and any other person carrying out duties throughout the preliminary competition, and for the entire duration of their stay in the host country/countries, on behalf of a Participating Member Association) (“Delegation Members”) complies with these Regulations, the Laws of the Game, the FIFA Statutes and FIFA’s other regulations, the FIFA Disciplinary Code, the FIFA Anti-Doping Regulations, the FIFA Code of Ethics and the FIFA Equipment Regulations, as well as with any other FIFA circular letters, regulations, guidelines, directives and/or decisions.  In addition, the players and team officials agree notably to: a) respect the spirit of fair play and non-violence; b) behave accordingly; and c) refrain from doping as defined by the FIFA Anti-Doping Regulations."

So this would definitely fall under a violation of "respect the spirit of fair play"

All of this self-flagellation is ridiculous I find. 

You cannot get anything from flying a drone, it is 95% useless, the only thing you could possible get is a set piece set up. Oh, they go far post off a left side corner. 

But even then you don't know if they trained near post off a left side corner last week. Or if the taker is just going too long by mistake. They are not even wearing numbers in training, you can hardly tell who the players are from drone images.

Ok, maybe you can see that the two raised arms by the taker means going far post: but most teams decide on the non-verbal code on game day. They don't go out, use a hand signal, then repeat it every game. So not even that.

Practicing penalties: oh we won't go to penalties in the group stage. Oh, just look at recent results from NZ, look how many penalties they've taken, who takes them, what she does in her club play with them, and voilà: no need to use a drone for that either.

So it's bogus, and being bogus, the best thing to do is stop with this insane hand-wringing and making up all kinds of reasons we should be tarred and pilloried when it is a minor little thing, not significant. Getting rid of Bev when obviously the CSA knew about it, because they paid for the drone, packed it, got it through customs, trained someone to use it, approved it be taken to the NZ training session: ridiculous.

The CSA is scapegoating Priestman for other reasons, I'd say. Is that the post-Herdman decision, eliminating all vestiges of the Herdman era? They are not even letting her lead the team to prove the WC was a glitch and she's able to get results for us, which is frankly disgraceful. She is damned if she does and damned if she doesn't. They are crucifying her without a trial and when they are party to what happened anyways. 

I can't see why people can't distinguish between a legitimate disciplinary question related to a minor ethics issue, and a purge.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist