Paris Olympics 2024

5 hours ago, RJB said:

Dronegate?  Spygate was the Patriots... So we're running out of ___gate options!

When I first heard about this story, I thought that we must have hired Belichick as a consultant but since he is banging some cheerleader nearly 50 years his junior, he wouldn't have the energy, let alone the time.

11 hours ago, narduch said:

Didn't someone accuse Herdman of this in our WCQ run?

Honduras. I remember this happening when they were practicing out in Oakville. When the story broke it didn’t get much traction, most just assumed it to be BS and Herdman was quite cagey about the accusations. 

Not sure what to make of this now. The brother being a physio for NZ angle provides a possible explanation for why there may have been a naive reason for doing it, but if the coach Jasmine Mander reports to is getting axed you have to question how Bev Priestman can stay in place because that implies a naive reason is not being accepted as the explanation. No way would it have happened without Bev Priestman's knowledge if there was genuine cheating going on. No junior member of the coaching staff is going to do that on their own initiative then show up for a meeting saying look what I just recorded.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

2 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Just stupidity all around, and almost nothing to gain from it. 

Is there even much of a benefit to spying on teams in soccer? For American football (Belichick, Michigan), I get it. So much of AF is planned - it’s all about the plays and formations and you can have a massive advantage from spying. I just dont see that same benefit from spying on soccer practices but of course Bielsa did it too.

3 minutes ago, Floortom said:

Is there even much of a benefit to spying on teams in soccer? For American football (Belichick, Michigan), I get it. So much of AF is planned - it’s all about the plays and formations and you can have a massive advantage from spying. I just dont see that same benefit from spying on soccer practices but of course Bielsa did it too.

Of course, you can get the exact same information regarding formations.  Set pieces is a big one, penalty takers, etc.

Being the crowning Olympic champion, you need to spy on your weakest group opponent?

It’s not only embarrassing. The brand of Canada Soccer, Canadian delegation and even the country are in shame.

Feel like 1988 again.

1 minute ago, lamptern said:

Being the crowning Olympic champion, you need to spy on your weakest group opponent?

It’s not only embarrassing. The brand of Canada Soccer, Canadian delegation and even the country are in shame.

Feel like 1988 again.

When every single one of the competitors was cheating and we were the only ones caught?