League 1 Ontario 2024

1 hour ago, Kingston said:

For such a storied club that has generated so many national team members, Sigma is having a really tough season. 

Yeah, they have never actually won L1O.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sigma_FC

Looking back on their results in their wiki page, it looks like they were a top 5 team when Bobby Smyrniotis was coaching them, then when CPL started and he left for Forge, they've mostly been a middling team. 9th place in each of the last 3 years. Part of it might be that they are thoroughly scrubbed for talent, maybe other teams aren't scouted well enough.

Hey Robin,

Just wondering if Steven Caldwell is still involved with the Blue Devils. I think that it was announced a couple of years back that he was going to be president if I remember correctly.

We are at roughly the half way mark of the season for most of the teams in most of the levels of L1O.  It seems like a good time to review things.

First, I have to say that it just makes me smile every time I look up the L1O standings and see so many teams in the whole pyramid.  Premier, Championship, League2 with three divisions, and the Reserves with two huge divisions.  That's literally hundreds of players all moving their way as high up as they can go and heading toward the CPL, MLS, Europe, and the national team.  Very cool!

In the Premier we see three teams that have not been to the Canadian Championship before battling it out for top spot.

In the Championship, London and TFC Academy have opened just a little bit of breathing space at the top between themselves and the rest of the league while the relegation battle has four teams tied and another just two points ahead.

In League2 the most interesting teams, for me, are the ones that are stand alone clubs.  In the northeast conference, newcomers Sudbury are out in front and making their case for promotion.  In the central conference, fellow newcomers The Borough aren't doing quite as well but are in the middle of things and proving they belong.  And in the southwest conference, Rush Canada are in the promotion hunt after spending several years in the old reserve division.

In the new U20 reserve division, there are a full 28 teams of players all learning the trade.

This is all a lot of fun and great to see.

Funny because I just did my own L1 roundup this AM as well. Quebec is being led by a team that hasn't been to Canadian Championship yet (FC Laval) and Alberta will feature a new entrant as well. Think it would be fascinating if Ontario had a new entrant for the sake of variety at the national level. Happy to see Sigma pick up a few wins and excited for the possibility of Sudbury being promoted up to Championship for next season. 

Edited by Mihairokov

27 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

Funny because I just did my own L1 roundup this AM as well. Quebec is being led by a team that hasn't been to Canadian Championship yet (FC Laval) and Alberta will feature a new entrant as well. Think it would be fascinating if Ontario had a new entrant for the sake of variety at the national level. Happy to see Sigma pick up a few wins and excited for the possibility of Sudbury being promoted up to Championship for next season. 

L1BC is also currently on track for a new Canadian Championship entrant.

8 hours ago, to70 said:

Hey Robin,

Just wondering if Steven Caldwell is still involved with the Blue Devils. I think that it was announced a couple of years back that he was going to be president if I remember correctly.

Head coach mentions what Caldwell does near the end of my interview.  

http://www.rocketrobinsoccerintoronto.com/reports24/24l1o030.htm