League1 BC 2024

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

I've seen it a few times, but I must have missed why: is there a reason TFC and Montreal are pulling out of their respective L1 leagues?

MLS Next age groups have been adjusted from U-15 and U-17 to U-16 and U-18 apparently. Think they were using L1 mainly for U-19 and now view that as superfluous in terms of providing an extra step before a Next Pro contract (or CanPL/USL loan where CFM are concerned) kicks in. More surprised that Montreal would make this change given Ismael Kone started out with their L1 team.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

On 8/6/2024 at 1:24 AM, Watchmen said:

I've seen it a few times, but I must have missed why: is there a reason TFC and Montreal are pulling out of their respective L1 leagues?

Because MLS teams except Whitecaps hate Canada.

• 2 weeks later...

Another season in the books and Rovers will once again be the L1BC rep in the Canadian Championship.

Not a perfect season with the loss of NFC and, especially, the Highlanders.  NFC seemed to just not quite be there as an organization.  The Highlanders left for financial reasons.  On one hand that isn't great.  On the other, it does point the L1BC wanting to maintain a certain standard which may be higher than some clubs can sustain.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.

There are already two new clubs signed up for next season.  Both Lower Mainland but pushing out a little bit farther, at least.  I'd love to see a tenth team in a non-LM city.

And, quietly, that's three complete seasons in the books.  The league is getting established and settling in.  That's how you expand the soccer pyramid in Canada.

On 8/16/2024 at 1:10 PM, Kingston said:

Another season in the books and Rovers will once again be the L1BC rep in the Canadian Championship.

Not a perfect season with the loss of NFC and, especially, the Highlanders.  NFC seemed to just not quite be there as an organization.  The Highlanders left for financial reasons.  On one hand that isn't great.  On the other, it does point the L1BC wanting to maintain a certain standard which may be higher than some clubs can sustain.  That's not necessarily a bad thing.

There are already two new clubs signed up for next season.  Both Lower Mainland but pushing out a little bit farther, at least.  I'd love to see a tenth team in a non-LM city.

And, quietly, that's three complete seasons in the books.  The league is getting established and settling in.  That's how you expand the soccer pyramid in Canada.

A 10th team (either back on the island or up in the interior) would be ideal, but I'd also like to see the clubs start to move away from a reliance on college players and extending the season.

• 3 weeks later...

Goals L1BC 2024

BILLY BAGIOPOULOS    HARBOURSIDE FC    12 (signed in Greece Div3?)

MASSUD HABIBULLAH    TSS ROVERS FC    7

CARSON BUSCHMAN-DORMAND    ALTITUDE FC    5 (former York; signed in Malta)
JOEL BADGER    UNITY FC    5
SUKA BEHERY    HARBOURSIDE FC    5
VICTORY SHUMBUSHO    UNITY FC    5

Others...
MATTEO POLISI    TSS ROVERS FC    2 (former Pacific)