League1 BC 2024

3 hours ago, K Edgar said:

I like the trend overall. My one concern is in knowing that Burnaby FC's entries seems to have been heavily funded by massive increases in youth registration fees throughout the club, with rates doubling in some cases. L1 is never going to pay the bills through ticket sales, clearly, so I do wonder how these teams will be funded.

The final after last weekend's playoffs is TSS vs. Altitude. I saw highlights of the first, TSS totally dominated Harbourside and though the latter had some early chances, they looked like an immature team, guys dribbling into nowhere and not trusting their teammates. 

Then also watched longer sections of the YT of Altitude playing at home to the Whitecaps. The latter seemed to want to be superior, have some guys who are hot on the ball, but I really liked a few Altitude players. They play a paused possession game, are patient going forward, a couple of those guys were really good; but overall I thought Altitude looked really well coached. I liked a fullback but sorry, can't identify the guy, think it was the RB, maybe Ambrose Timnouth from U Guelph. 

Final at Swangard at 4pm on August 4th. Usually TSS can get good crowds out, even pushing a thousand; but this time (unlike when they play a Whitecaps or before a UBC team) Altitude should also move a few hundred, which will make for a good crowd experience.

Women go before at 1 pm with Whitecaps playing Burnaby FC.

On 8/1/2024 at 1:33 PM, NorthBayfan001 said:

With Toronto and Montreal leaving L1O and L1Q respectively after this seaosn, has there been any indication of the Whitecaps leaving L1BC?

There may be a little trick involved: the women Caps were selected for CONCACAF club competition representing Canada. And I think as is the highest level they play is League One BC. So we may see the men stay, because if they go the women might be disallowed. You must field a M and a W to compete. 

Maybe I'm totally off base but just musing. 

12 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

There may be a little trick involved: the women Caps were selected for CONCACAF club competition representing Canada. And I think as is the highest level they play is League One BC. So we may see the men stay, because if they go the women might be disallowed. You must field a M and a W to compete. 

Maybe I'm totally off base but just musing. 

Is the Whitecaps women team not moving to the NSL next year?

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Well the L1BC team is actually the BC NDC program (which is co-run by BC Soccer and the Whitecaps), and is basically a team of 16-19 year olds. The NSL will be a pro team that will basically be 18+ players. Easy for them to both exist.

5 hours ago, K Edgar said:

Good point.

I was just reaching, but still: if you have a WSL team, why not have your B team or reserves playing L1? There will be more teams next season, so you'll have a couple more matches even. 

I guess I don't get the logic of not being in L1 just because MLS in Montreal or that team from Southern Ontario pull out.

So let me try to be the West Coast @Rocket Robin and do a bit of a report, I went to the final between TSS and Altitude and quite enjoyed it. 

3-2 TSS, probably deserved. Both teams play nice clean football, are well-coached, have good positional sense, there is very little wasting of balls and they keep possession, use the width of the pitch. I really did not see a single missing link on either side. 

Then, the ref decided he wanted to be the story and it was a bit of a shit-show, frankly, the guy was an embarrassment. I spoke to one club owner who told me that all year the guys observing the officials, maybe the ones watching them from BCSA or CSA, had admitted the level was iffy. I found it terrible today.

TSS scored in the 7th second, at kickoff, fast goal caught Altitude napping. First half was fairly even, then TSS scored on a header m 30, White, where the striker should have been covered. Altitude were behind but kept their game plan, were patient, had their chances too. Soon the ref's contradictions started to flourish. He'd yellowed an Altitude player, Walter, m. 3 then did not follow through until into the 2nd half, giving only verbal warnings. Inconsistent. More ref: yellowed the TSS keeper for timewasting m. 54, then Altitude scored, 2-1, m 60 Ambrose Tinmouth think he is. Then almost right after gave a 2nd yellow to Walter and Altitude were down to 10. 

The game was still fairly dominated by Altitude pushing forward, TSS countering, the TSS keeper had some nice saves. M. 83 Altitude, got a penalty in their favour, it was borderline but could be called, their striker put it in nicely, 2-2. Next play the opposite direction, penalty for TSS, also very soft, up 3-2. Then he calls another extremely iffy penalty for Altitude and the striker skies it, stays 3-2. 

I really don't think any of the penalties were clear, the yellows were excessive considering it was a clean game, you can't have that sort of referee ego interfering with the game. 

I spoke to people from TSS and Altitude, also family of players, so will add another post about some news and rumours and the like.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

TSS fans told me they may move next season. Rumour has it that Whitecaps women in the NSL may play out of Swangard, and do a deal for all their teams with Burnaby, who own the stadium. So TSS may look for alternatives, such as in Richmond.

I did not find out what the deal is with Whitecaps, if they are staying in L1 for next year.

There was concern that L1 Canada raised fees this season, almost doubling them, to play in a league that barely affords clubs any income. What do clubs get from L1 Canada to justify that? Basically the costs are out of pocket for a few people on many clubs, then sponsors if you can get them. Now we've heard here that some clubs with youth teams draw from their fees to cover the L1 team, a model I do not like. But again: what does L1 Canada give the L1 teams? 

I greeted the Altitude coach after, Faly Basse, who also has an academy in North Vancouver, and I think works in French so has kids doing soccer in French. The guy is modest and pleasant, and has a nice vision of the game. If any CPL club thought they might need a new coach, I think he could handle it.  I also hear through his contacts there might be movement abroad for some younger prospects. 

L1's dont seem in great shape...heres an observer of l1qc saying it really lost in quality this year with some st laurent players moving up and that theyll have to do something with montreal reserves leaving...if no one new joins the league would be down to 10 teams and you gotta wonder if anyone else leaves

On 8/4/2024 at 8:36 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

There was concern that L1 Canada raised fees this season, almost doubling them, to play in a league that barely affords clubs any income. What do clubs get from L1 Canada to justify that? Basically the costs are out of pocket for a few people on many clubs, then sponsors if you can get them. Now we've heard here that some clubs with youth teams draw from their fees to cover the L1 team, a model I do not like. But again: what does L1 Canada give the L1 teams? 

That's a question for CSB, since they're the ones who own L1 Canada and bought the L1 leagues.