General MLS Talk 2024

Big_M

5 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Think it was MLS Extra that was saying they expect a full house cleaning this winter. No new DPs because they don't want to get tied down to anything while they sort out the direction of the club. Fair to say releasing Shaqiri is part of that.

I'll take a mea culpa because prior to his arrival I thought he would be an impactful player in this league but he has been a major disappointment.

Suffice to say that this has been a bad franchise for many years in a big town, too.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Skimmed the list expecting to see the U22 model being a lower budget thing but it's definitely not. Atlanta, LAFC, Inter Miami and New York City are also on board for that.

Yeah, I found that interesting. I'm speculating that these bigger clubs figure they can attract some of the Premier u22 talent available (probably from South America) that can both help them win now while also being sold on for big profits in the future, and that they can also still attract a high caliber of player at a TAM level of contract.

Celtic are in talks with LAFC to bring Polish midfielder Mateusz Bogusz to the club this summer.

The 22 year old attacker has predominantly played as a CF this season with 18GA in 24 matches in the MLS.

19 minutes ago, ahmedou said:

Celtic are in talks with LAFC to bring Polish midfielder Mateusz Bogusz to the club this summer.

The 22 year old attacker has predominantly played as a CF this season with 18GA in 24 matches in the MLS.

Expand  

Think players that leave Europe young and then return from MLS are fascinating. Reportedly LAFC paid €1M fo Bogusz in 2023 and now may sell him for between €8-10M.

4 hours ago, Mihairokov said:

Think players that leave Europe young and then return from MLS are fascinating. Reportedly LAFC paid €1M fo Bogusz in 2023 and now may sell him for between €8-10M.

I think there's some clubs (LAFC being one of them) that can convince young players to come over and they'll be put in both a big spotlight and a winning situation, and they can then go back to Europe to a better club/situation. Honestly, TFC probably should be in that scenario too. Vancouver talks more about bringing in young players from South America and "developing them to get to Europe", which is a plan I also approve of they just never actually follow through on the "developing and selling to Europe" part of it.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Given MLS and CanPL's start dates are so different setting a shared eight week winter window for both leagues could be tricky.

I ask this without knowing the answer, but how often is the CPL transferring players in March/April? Not signing free agents (which could still be done) but actual incoming transfers from other countries?

Garber  love him or hate him saved the league . It was almost going the way of the old NASL before he arrived . I truly think if it had folded that would have been basically it in terms of having a high paying pro soccer league in the US . On his watch the majority of teams have built some really nice soccer specific stadiums , have developed academies and almost every team has a reserve second team . Moreover, love it or hate it the MLS has given many Canadian players  a decent level league to play in that pays them a decent wage , and yes they still consider some Canadians as foreign players on American teams which is definitely not acceptable and makes no sense . However, as most Canadian players have come through some sort of MLS recognized Academy the vast number of Canadian players playing in the MLS or the younger ones coming through are not considered foreigners. Garber has played a big part in the success of this league and is one of the main reasons it has grown and still growing to where it is today. 

• 2 weeks later...

Western table is tight.  Galaxy probably clinched 1st with that comeback win last night, and "the top 9" might now be settled because Dallas and Austin at 10/11 are poor, but it seems like every other spot is up for grabs.  LAFC and Salt Lake fallen back, though I think LAFC will still finish 2nd.