General MLS Talk 2024

Big_M

Just now, narduch said:

No serious league should make roster rule changes mid season

I'm not disagreeing, though I'll go out on a limb and say no club has been caught off guard by these rule changes.

21 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

I've never understood MLS roster rules.

How are these changes different from the current rules?

Teams can still only sign three DPs.

But if they previously signed 3 DPs, they were restricted on the number of U22 spots they could use. This now allows the bigger spending teams to sign 3 regular DPs while then attracting younger talent, potentially effectively giving them 6 DP spots.

24 minutes ago, Goal_Kick said:

Also, why would a team give up a DP spot in favour of a U22 spot?

My friend, you have not been paying enough attention to the Whitecaps and Montreal. I'll be shocked if both clubs don't take the reduced number of DP spots plus the $2m in GAM. I don't think the Whitecaps have ever had 3 proper DPs. I refuse to count the Brek Shea DP situation as a true DP.

15 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I refuse to count the Brek Shea DP situation as a true DP.

Being saddled with him as a DP was a lowlight (among many) of the the club's out-of-their-depth, mum-and-pop management. 

On 7/18/2024 at 3:50 PM, Watchmen said:

But if they previously signed 3 DPs, they were restricted on the number of U22 spots they could use. This now allows the bigger spending teams to sign 3 regular DPs while then attracting younger talent, potentially effectively giving them 6 DP spots.

Thanks for that.

Also, I see MLS writer Sam Jones spent most of his column today discussing the changes:

Sorry but we need to talk about the new roster rules

https://www.mlssoccer.com/news/your-friday-kickoff-what-do-the-new-mls-roster-rules-mean-for-your-team

2 hours ago, SoccMan said:

So have a look at the Liga Mex fourth goal against the MLS Allstars , what do we make of Bombito’s part on that goal against on that play ?

Not sure its really worth it dissecting goals in a glorified friendlies.

We all know Bombito is still very raw and makes mistakes.

wow 6th move between mls and serbian superliga just in this window

Charlotte loaned out Diop who didnt cut it in MLS to the first tier of Serbia
Austin bought Bukari from Red Star who will be a DP
Minnesota sold Arriaga to Partizan
Dallas sold Mulato(U22 initiative who didnt cut it) to their first tier
Colorado sold Ilic to Red Star

and now Tzionis sold from SKC to Čukarički

Sporting Kansas City transfer Marinos Tzionis to FK Čukarički

• 2 weeks later...
33 minutes ago, Big_M said:

terrible signing by chicago...best thing for them is that sporting director heitz is gone after this season...didnt have any success in 5 seasons

Think it was MLS Extra that was saying they expect a full house cleaning this winter. No new DPs because they don't want to get tied down to anything while they sort out the direction of the club. Fair to say releasing Shaqiri is part of that.