Euro 2024

narduch

Posted (edited)

That was a deserved win, but again, France played a bit soft. Like against us. For such a physically prodigious team they really do not work on defense that much. They let the rival play, and then they don't really bite. It is odd considering the players they have. 

Spain did the easy possession game, got into attacking positions easily, have the two electric wingers, and then mids like Olmo and Fabián who are really skilled and have a modesty I like. 

The player I would point out is Morata, who was defending deep even early, dropping back to help the midfield, receiving and turning or finding fouls, a real leader on the pitch and an exemplary striker. Not the killer others are, but very mature and really committed to the team. 

Thanks TSN for blah, blah, blah about Lamine Yamal but just ignore that the maturity, positional play, taking a card, the total play, and physical and mental readiness at that age, is directly to do with coming through the Barcelona academy from a youngster. Let's just pretend that that does not exist. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

5 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Funny, because I hate England and I thought it should be given, admittedly a close call though

Yeah maybe,  I don't like a player being punished for another's follow-through but maybe he was high.

Also I thought Simmons went onto Rice's ankle before the ball, so maybe even?

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

England's winning goal was the result of a dive that was given in their defensive end.  I don't know who the defender is, but I think the Dutch player was Simons.  It's why he was booked after the goal for whining about it. 

But then England took the kick and went and scored.  That's really hard to stomach. 

3 minutes ago, RJB said:

England's winning goal was the result of a dive that was given in their defensive end.  I don't know who the defender is, but I think the Dutch player was Simons.  It's why he was booked after the goal for whining about it. 

But then England took the kick and went and scored.  That's really hard to stomach. 

And Simons raked down Rice's ankle before he took the ball for his. 

Overall, England deserved it.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Just now, RJB said:

And the missed corner near the end was pretty obvious. It's tough to watch such an unimpressive team repeatedly get this far, but that's tournament football I guess.

One tournament maybe, but if it happens repeatedly, there is something there , no?

Quality is shining through bad coaching and pressure. 

But our biases will cancel out and they will play it on the pitch.

31 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Spain/England final...hoping England wins and it finally comes home

Keep dreaming. England have scraped by this whole tournament. With the easiest path to the final. That shit ends Sunday. This Spain team is levels above that Italy team they faced in the last Euro Final.

Edited by anthony7

I think that while Spain has probably been more consistent, the final is at 50/50. 

In terms of talent, on paper, some would argue England is a bit better in terms of bigger players on bigger teams; but Spain is a better unit, and the players from less renowned clubs have stepped up in big ways. The five guys from Real Sociedad, that is really quite a story. 

But England is a kind of team that can get under Spain's skin if they push and use pace and intensity to break down the controlled system Spain plays. It is one of those game I could perfectly well imagine seeing England scoring first and Spain having to come back, like vs. France. And maybe even in a similar way, giving one up off a header or set piece. Spain methodically coming back.

Most likely Spain will settle in better, it has two lethal wingers who will stretch the England back line, then the talent in the attacking mid to come find the chances. While Fabián and Olmo are not at the level of Bellingham, and Foden is a piece Spain don't have after Kroos was allowed to hunt down Pedri (by an English ref, no surprise), the AM is similar. The DM is similar even though you could argue Rodri is better. We'll see who goes as CB for Spain, none are world class, some make little errors, Le Normand makes dumb fouls, Laporte switches off at times. The keepers: I think Pickford is a bigger liability than many say and Simon is better in the details, like in distribution.