Euro 2024

narduch

Some more scattered Euro tv numbers.

On same day Canada/Chile produced 1.6m in English/French, Germany/Denmark got around 750k and Italy/Switzerland got around 800k in English only.

Last Sunday, over 1m watched England/Slovakia and also over 1m watched Spain/Georgia in English only.

So, top 3 most watched sports events last week on English tv were footy matches. NHL Draft delivered 890k with a super strong 43% of the audience coming from French tv. Habs with 5th pick selecting Demidov, a 21st pick and Celine Dion making the selection kept fans amped up over the 3-4 hours.

Top CFL game reached 723k. Top Jays game hit 670k. 

55 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Germany coming out with intent to injure: loser mentality Nagelsman.

Spain playing very well. Their movement off the ball is excellent. And yes Kroos should have had a yellow.

Was a very even match. I didn't feel Spain actually played to full capacity. They were trying to manage the lead for too long 2nd half. Have lost players for semis. 

Kroos had about 4-5 fouls deserving yellows and he injured Pedri thanks to that useless ref Taylor, what a walking disaster.

Even that penalty, he probably should have looked at it.

Who do the calls for TSN? Boy are they bad. At no time are they able to analyze the game, just inconsequential fluff and nonsense stats for 120 minutes. 

3 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Was a very even match. I didn't feel Spain actually played to full capacity. They were trying to manage the lead for too long 2nd half. Have lost players for semis. 

Kroos had about 4-5 fouls deserving yellows and he injured Pedri thanks to that useless ref Taylor, what a walking disaster.

Even that penalty, he probably should have looked at it.

Who do the calls for TSN? Boy are they bad. At no time are they able to analyze the game, just inconsequential fluff and nonsense stats for 120 minutes. 

Yeah I don't think I have seen a player get away with the number of fouls as Kroos did. Definitely 4 possible yellows imo.

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

Yeah I don't think I have seen a player get away with the number of fouls as Kroos did. Definitely 4 possible yellows imo.

And that's a handball 9 Saturdays out of 10 but its better reffing than we have seen at the Copa.

Go France.

edit: and I see we have another of my favourite refs.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Referee did fine. Spain showed their quality and after they scored the first one it was mostly Germany. In the end a great game and I have no issues with the result. Germany had their chances. 

Frustrating to see England continue to go deep into tournaments so undeservingly. I guess you can only play who you're playing. 

For so many tournaments where they've been on the "easy" side of the bracket, the one thing English media seemingly fail to acknowledge is that England is perhaps one of those easy teams.

Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, RJB said:

Frustrating to see England continue to go deep into tournaments so undeservingly. I guess you can only play who you're playing. 

For so many tournaments where they've been on the "easy" side of the bracket, the one thing English media seemingly fail to acknowledge is that England is perhaps one of those easy teams.

You don't consume much actual English media do you?

Edit: I'm sorry.  But there was just a row between players and some of the big broadcasters because one of latter said among other things that England were playing like "s***."

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

You don't consume much actual English media do you?

Edit: I'm sorry.  But there was just a row between players and some of the big broadcasters because one of latter said among other things that England were playing like "s***."

Probably not enough to get the whole picture!

On 7/6/2024 at 12:46 PM, RJB said:

England is worse in this tournament than they were last, or in the u-19 and u-17 tournaments of this generation. Even at the World Cup the team was more dynamic. It seems they have lost the ability to play with a bit of passion, which is odd: a young team can mature, but not fall into a staid mode. Which is what we see.

But as many have said, they are still alive, and if you think they are far from their potential they could break out and find themselves easily in another final. 

I think both semis are pretty well even, there is talent all over and even Spain, who have played the best I'd say, I don't see as a favourite.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

England is worse in this tournament than they were last, or in the u-19 and u-17 tournaments of this generation. Even at the World Cup the team was more dynamic. It seems they have lost the ability to play with a bit of passion, which is odd: a young team can mature, but not fall into a staid mode. Which is what we see.

But as many have said, they are still alive, and if you think they are far from their potential they could break out and find themselves easily in another final. 

I think both semis are pretty well even, there is talent all over and even Spain, who have played the best I'd say, I don't see as a favourite.

In my opinion, of course, England are held back by a manager who it trying to cautiously hold onto the (very good) results he has achieved in the past.  Semifinals in 3 of 4 big tournaments is only bettered by France.   

He has also has explicitly and somewhat strangely pined for a midfielder he doesn't have anymore - Phillips or even Henderson.  Kane has also lost a step (playing with such a high talent level relative to the league around him at Bayern - even underachieving - has masked that) and England have looked better when he has had help.   

Holland should be a real test and hopefully bring out the best in the players that are emerging.  Whether they can maintain the wingbacks  - which again made them look a little bit better - against their Dutch counterparts remains to be seen. 

I have two semis tomorrow, Spain at noon my time, Canada at 5 when I am working. All I will be able to do is give the students some group work, then a break, to watch a bit.

Spain has played well, but they don't have the star power, don't think, and don't have the players to play decisive roles in critical moments. The question will be if they can minimize the factor of star players, as we did against France (helped by Mbappe playing only at the end), to give them the chance to create a goal or two with quality play.