Euro 2024

narduch

When a defender leaves his feet, gets the ball first, but follows through and catches another player, it is a foul. But when a forward leaves their feet, gets the ball first and follows through and catches the keeper with studs up in the upper shin, no one mentions it (e.g. Belgium 2nd goal). 

Isn't that inconsistent? See it all the time. 

20 hours ago, kacbru said:

When a defender leaves his feet, gets the ball first, but follows through and catches another player, it is a foul. But when a forward leaves their feet, gets the ball first and follows through and catches the keeper with studs up in the upper shin, no one mentions it (e.g. Belgium 2nd goal). 

Isn't that inconsistent? See it all the time. 

Ya, that really was studs up right near the knee. I would love to hear a referee comment on this. TSN had Kerry Fraser as a pundit for a while and he would explain refereeing decisions for NHL games.  It would be great to have something similar for soccer, and they could start with this one.

4 hours ago, RJB said:

Ya, that really was studs up right near the knee. I would love to hear a referee comment on this. TSN had Kerry Fraser as a pundit for a while and he would explain refereeing decisions for NHL games.  It would be great to have something similar for soccer, and they could start with this one.

TSN had Joe Fletcher for the Qatar World Cup. Probably budget not as large for Euros to get one. 

Fox has ref analysts for the Euros and Copa America. They go to them during the match when needed. 

22 hours ago, red card said:

TSN had Joe Fletcher for the Qatar World Cup. Probably budget not as large for Euros to get one. 

I really can't see his fee being a deal breaker for not having him on the panel.

Spain played an almost entire second 11, except for Jesús Navas. Who also happens to be 38 years old, captain, does not get a rest, and sprite as ever. A while back I saw the clip of the Iniesta World Cup winner, and the whole play was started by Navas, weaving through the midfield, gets poked away and Iniesta backheels it to him to continue the play. A few seconds later the goal. 14 years on. 

Navas is from a little town near Sevilla, Los Palacios y Villafranca, which is where Fabián Ruiz is from, age 28; if he weren't injured, Gavi would be with the national team and he's also from Los Palacios, he's 19. Spain has actually played with all three on the pitch. The Spanish "Brampton". Only Los Palacios has less than 40,000 population.

Spain has been the most consistent team at the Euros, though both scorelines vs. Italy and Albania did not show it. Thinking back to 2010, that whole tournament Spain underperformed, there was not one clearly dominant match. The Euro wins were more convincing. Spain is lacking true stars, and a bit of ruthlessness. 

Germany getting that late goal puts them back on the Spain side of the bracket for quarter finals. Spain gets a third place team in round of 16, and now likely the host. The way UEFA is, you can't expect to have an easy quarter final match anyways, the likely top 8 will be the top 8, though Italy seems the most vulnerable of the historical powers. 

I predicted the Dutch would win to a buddy the other day, so I'll stand by that. I think with Spain it's the team with most depth, most able to play subs with little to no drop-off. They also have a massive fan following in Germany and I think that could give them a boost.

I don't know who people think has been the player of the tournament so far, but the player I have liked the most is Musiala. I suppose he does the same things for Bayern, but for Germany he steps up, is a leader, and really shows off his talent. I've also liked the Portuguese mids, Bernardo Silva and Bruno Fernandes. Nothing we did not know.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Ukraine out despite getting 4 points. But honestly, they should have scored in the 2nd half. Belgium looks very suspect, will be surprised if they can get past France.

No disrespect to Romania, but whichever 3rd place teams draws them as an opponent will have caught a break, they are definitely the weakest of the group winners.