Euro 2024

narduch

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I think that while Spain has probably been more consistent, the final is at 50/50. 

In terms of talent, on paper, some would argue England is a bit better in terms of bigger players on bigger teams; but Spain is a better unit, and the players from less renowned clubs have stepped up in big ways. The five guys from Real Sociedad, that is really quite a story. 

But England is a kind of team that can get under Spain's skin if they push and use pace and intensity to break down the controlled system Spain plays. It is one of those game I could perfectly well imagine seeing England scoring first and Spain having to come back, like vs. France. And maybe even in a similar way, giving one up off a header or set piece. Spain methodically coming back.

Most likely Spain will settle in better, it has two lethal wingers who will stretch the England back line, then the talent in the attacking mid to come find the chances. While Fabián and Olmo are not at the level of Bellingham, and Foden is a piece Spain don't have after Kroos was allowed to hunt down Pedri (by an English ref, no surprise), the AM is similar. The DM is similar even though you could argue Rodri is better. We'll see who goes as CB for Spain, none are world class, some make little errors, Le Normand makes dumb fouls, Laporte switches off at times. The keepers: I think Pickford is a bigger liability than many say and Simon is better in the details, like in distribution. 

No, the real story is Nico Williams & Lamine Yamal. Two black star boys acting as the catalyst to take Spain to glory. Well done to those guys!! Black Excellence on the world stage.👊🏿

Edited by anthony7

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

(Who is going tell him about England?)

The Spain story is bigger. Obviously the England penalty shootout was awesome.Then Palmer & Watkins coming clutch. But Spain only has 2 black players on the roster. With an almost non existent black population.

Edited by anthony7

2 minutes ago, anthony7 said:

The Spain story is bigger. Obviously the England penalty shootout was awesome.Then Palmer & Watkins coming clutch. But Spain only has 2 black players on the roster. With an almost non existent black population.

I honestly have no idea, you were just running down England earlier. 

Peace and we will see what happens Sunday. 

“They’ve got a goal… that looks like… giving them a place… in a European Championship final.” ITV commentator Sam Matterface’s words were drowned out at full-time. The celebrations were raucous. Red-and-white streamers burst into the arena as the opening and familiar riff of Mr Brightside began to play. The crowd, already jubilant, fully exploded into life. The band tapped into the mood seamlessly. Their biggest hit song was screamed back at them in euphoria by the thousands in attendance.

Drummer Ronnie Vannucci Jr had proudly re-emerged wearing an England shirt and Flowers, who had been captivated by the game’s last couple of minutes, said it was a moment the band would never forget.

Sí!

I think it was deserved. They didn't even push the superiority to the max.

It's a very modest team in many ways and a lot of guys on clubs that rarely lift trophies (Real Sociedad, notably).

The upper middle class of Spanish football is superior to the English aristocracy. But keep yapping about transfer value, for me the EPL is inferior because the core quality and football intelligence is inferior. 

Nice to listen to the English call, unable to analyze anything about the match, then they couldn't care less about pronouncing players' names. 

Then a thought about our match, you'd say we couldn't close it down in the final minutes, but even Spain with all the know-how wobbled late. Shouldn't happen but does.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Congrats to Spain 

Better team on the day.

Still would like to what someone else does with these England players.

Ultimately this is the thing. Southgate had them sit back. As Caldwell said, they were only interested in playing as expected when they were down - as if they were playing for penalties. 

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Congrats to Spain 

Better team on the day.

Still would like to what someone else does with these England players.

No chance. Southgate saved his ass till at least the next World Cup. Back to back euro finals, while playing garbage in this one.

11 minutes ago, RJB said:

Ultimately this is the thing. Southgate had them sit back. As Caldwell said, they were only interested in playing as expected when they were down - as if they were playing for penalties. 

Even Spain sat back too much 1st half. But they pressed with urgency as a team in critical moments, turned it on, and not just to tie but to win. 

53 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

You mean Nico, his brother Inaki plays for us in Ghana 🇬🇭 

This came up in my design class the other day, Wednesday, the term "fafa" came up (it was an unsual example a source used), and then a student said he was from Ghana and could explain it to us. So in the break we had a conversation about the Williams brothers, not something I'd expect.

Iñaki was born in Bilbao to both parents from Ghana, who immigrated in incredibly hard conditions, then Nico was born in Pamplona. To play for Athletic Club (Bilbao) you have to be Basque stock, so anywhere in the Spanish or French Basque regions, or in Navarre, which is a separate region but ethnically close and considered Basque. You could also be Basque stock from France (Lizarazu) or elsewhere, a few from South America have played for Bilbao.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist