Euro 2024

narduch

1 minute ago, gigi riva said:

The One player whomore or less got his Football education while Playing for Borussia Dortmund in the Bundesliga and now stars for Real Madrid  in La Liga  .  Two leagues according to the English that are Farmer Leagues

Don't be silly and stereotype.

"The English" I know watch or at least very much respect those leagues.

And if you think a real football education starts at 17, not sure what to say.

If you listen to the trolls too much, you start to sound like them.

Honestly, it is remarkable how similar France-Belgium was to France-Canada. Just shows how much France dictated the type of game to both Canada and Belgium. 

xg was 1.2 France, 0.2 Canada

xg was 1.2 France, 0.2 Belgium

All of the other stats (shots, possession, corners, etc.) are similar as well, and beyond just stats, the two games were similar in how they played out, France got a lucky bounce vs. Belgium and they didn't vs. Canada, that was really the only substantive difference. Maybe Belgium generated a little more offence than Canada (despite the xg being similar), but not by much.

I am happy to see Josip Ilicic got his life back on track and it was heartwarming to see him make the Slovenia squad, but all I could think of when he stepped up to take the first pk against Portugal was a miss on this stage would probably not be easy for a guy who has struggled with depression. I hope he can look on the bright side and be proud of Slovenia's accomplishments.

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5586438/2024/06/25/josip-ilicic-slovenia-atalanta-euro-2024/

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Netherlands looking a bit more like we saw them. (I didn't see them vs. Poland to be fair)

Once again, the Euro knockout game is quite similar to our friendly result.  And both of our opponents are now into the Euro quarter-finals.

Romania had 0.4xg vs 3.1xg for the Netherlands

Canada 0.7xg vs 2.6xg for Netherlands and it was a similar game where the pace and relentless attacking of the Dutch eventually overwhelms the opposition.

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

Heist is a good one.   "He's so cool when he goes to bed, sheep count him."  Lots of other great dialogue in that one

I liked Ricky Jay, the actor (/magician/water melon card thrower) who says that.

Another couple from that, applicable if we every face the Swiss.  

"Never liked the Swiss, they make them little clocks, these two c--------s come out of 'em with these little hammers, hit each other on the head. What kind of sick mentality is that?"

"Go sell chocolates you Heidi-m-----------s, go sell cukoo clocks, we got your gold!"