Euro 2024

narduch

On 11/23/2023 at 2:28 PM, narduch said:

The pots are set for the draw. The draw is December 2.

Crazy that Italy are defending Champs and in the last pot.

20231123_082648.jpg

Pot 3 could be as tough or better than Pot 2.

The three teams here in Pot 4 are all tough, any of those are harder than any of the teams going through the playoffs, though both Ukraine, based in Germany, and Poland nearby, should be comfortable and well-supported in the stands.

I'm impressed by Albania getting in and playing well, though I am not entirely surprised (I saw them in a friendly before the WC), and agree with @RJB about Luxembourg, great stuff.

1 hour ago, rkomar said:

Am I going blind, or is Sweden not even in the competition?

Nor Norway. Came well behind Scotland. Their case and Sweden's are interesting.

I was a bit confused as Norway came ahead of Georgia, who are here in the playoff. But it turns out it wasn't the best thirds, all other teams qualified through Nations Leagues into the playoffs.

In the Sweden group it is most glaring, as Estonia got one point and was way behind Sweden and Azerbaijan, but qualified for the playoffs through Nations League play.

Norway: if Haaland wants to make a case for himself, he better start performing for the national team. And they have Odegaard, Sorloth, EPL, Liga and Serie A players, they are not slouches. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A bit of infographics looking at the Euros from a macro level.

English Championship & Serie B are the D2 leagues in top 15 contributors of players. Saudi league is only non-European entry in top 15.

Slavia Prague is only non top 5 league club in top 10 clubs contributing players. 

Most Euro teams don't have much of a social media following. France & England are in tier 1. Portugal & Germany in tier 2. 

D2 clubs have a heavy presence in the stadiums. Half the 10 stadiums are home to 2. Bundesliga  clubs (Cologne, Hertha, Schalke, Hamburg and Fortuna Dusseldorf)

Leagues.jpg

Clubs.jpg

Social.jpg

Edited by red card

31 minutes ago, Mihairokov said:

So you're confident Italy won't blow it against Albania tomorrow? 😋

Well, I meant for the opening game of an entire tournament, not just for a particular team. But since you asked, yes, pretty confident at this point, because unless Italy lost by at least 2, it would still probably be less horrible than this Scotland performance.

I see that Scotland now has completed roughly 1.5x as many passes against Germany as China did against South Korea in their recent qualifier. Amazing in a way that China held Korea to just one goal given that stat.

Edited by 74 Whitecap

53 minutes ago, 74 Whitecap said:

Pretty rare to see a 0xg put up on the board. As for a 0xg by a team that actually scored, not sure I have ever seen that.

It really devalues the whole exercise, doesn't it? It's not like the German OG was a shot into the top corner from midfield. It was a forced OG, not a total gift.