CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

26 minutes ago, theaub said:

MLS going to be in the mud if that's the case since it seems like they care more about Leagues Cup than the domestic regular season at this point.

This is probably very naive on my part, but I think watching the wheels on the Messi bus ever so slightly start to loosen up might be a good thing for the league in the long run. Fan protests about the pricing, his row with Nashville, him skipping out on this, just the general unpredictability of when he’ll actually play- I have the feeling that supporters are taking pride in that and it’ll build a stronger community of fans in it for the games and not for the shiny toy. Kinda like when whoville dances around the tree after the grinch stole Christmas and they realize they don’t need it.  

Berhalter leading this team is good for us I feel.  

had Jamaica not had their own crisis they could have won this game!  Bailey pressured to stay at Villa in their current position perhaps and then blames the federation?

Edited by Ruud

8 hours ago, RS said:

Looks a bit like Emmanuel Twumasi from FC Dallas, but I have no idea what the connection to the MNT would be other than he's already in Dallas and may be there to make up the numbers in training.

If it was a few years ago, I would say Jason Bent

10 minutes ago, Ruud said:

Berhalter leading this team is good for us I feel.  

had Jamaica not had their own crisis they could have won this game!  Bailey pressured to stay at Villa in their current position perhaps and then blames the federation?

He wasn't pressured to stay! He was not called up for breaking curfew. He's selfish and egotistical. I understand the JFF has its issues, but he made everything about him as if he's the one who's been doing everything for Jamaica. I watched his interview, and was shocked that he would say the things he said before the SF. 

Edited by Shway

2 hours ago, JamboAl said:

Made it down to Dallas this afternoon (a bit rainy and humid).  Lots of US supporters going to the early game at Jerry’s World.

Go eat at Hutchins BBQ in Frisco you won't be disappointed...try the Texas Twinkies

Edited by mrstepp817

1 hour ago, Shway said:

Thought this was going to be Jenkins, Platt, Wilson, and Wheeler....
He's suggesting Choinierre to start and putting Staq at the 6 - which is a hell no. 
He also suggests Waterman to start - which would also be another shocker. 

I wonder if anyone has the authority to tell Kone he's a 6, you waste some stuff but he is what we need there in most ways. (Just tell him Yaya played there a lot.)

The centre backs - assuming a 3 - is a fun one.  Do you go with something safer and get this done, then work some things out in with friendlies we might actually have? Or take some risks and start the future. 

Bombito deserves a chance to be the guy somewhere, either in the centre (tallest guy we have by a little) or at RCB. 

Miller still seems a leader, are we moving him to the bench?  Him or Johnston need to be out of the back line for me. 

Waterman has been playing better and plays the centre in a 3 but has he had chances already. 

Cornelius is again one that deserve an extended chance to cement a spot.  On the left (displacing Miller) or running the centre remains to be seen.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

53 minutes ago, Shway said:

Thought this was going to be Jenkins, Platt, Wilson, and Wheeler....
He's suggesting Choinierre to start and putting Staq at the 6 - which is a hell no. 
He also suggests Waterman to start - which would also be another shocker. 

He mentions talking to AGR and in AGR's game preview, he talks about a potential 3-4-3 (and 3-5-2). 

TBH, I think our safest play is 3-4-3 (in terms of not conceding). Johnston will be reliable at wingback to offset davies somewhat. Bombito at RCB provides the tools to counter T and T's threats. We also get all of our best players on the field (minus millar). Yes we can arguably lose the midfield but kone and staq with david getting involved should easily outclass any midfield 3 of t and t. 

However, safe may not be the best option. play 4-4-2 with bombito rcb and millar lw and take the game to them. trust that we can handle the counter attack and 2 man midfield and play aggressively on the front foot to score early. Bring on piette if we need midfield solidity and win the game 4-0 instead of being safe and hoping for 1-0.  

https://onesoccer.ca/a/preview-can-mnt-looking-to-get-journey-to-2026-back-on-track-in-copa-america-playoff-vs-t-and-t

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

He mentions talking to AGR and in AGR's game preview, he talks about a potential 3-4-3 (and 3-5-2). 

TBH, I think our safest play is 3-4-3 (in terms of not conceding). Johnston will be reliable at wingback to offset davies somewhat. Bombito at RCB provides the tools to counter T and T's threats. We also get all of our best players on the field (minus millar). Yes we can arguably lose the midfield but kone and staq with david getting involved should easily outclass any midfield 3 of t and t. 

However, safe may not be the best option. play 4-4-2 with bombito rcb and millar lw and take the game to them. trust that we can handle the counter attack and 2 man midfield and play aggressively on the front foot to score early. Bring on piette if we need midfield solidity and win the game 4-0 instead of being safe and hoping for 1-0.  

https://onesoccer.ca/a/preview-can-mnt-looking-to-get-journey-to-2026-back-on-track-in-copa-america-playoff-vs-t-and-t

3-4-3 gets our best players on the field but has been part of our downfall in giving up cheap goals, in my opinion.  Also not what we should be training with, look forward to better teams.  

17 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

3-4-3 gets our best players on the field but has been part of our downfall in giving up cheap goals, in my opinion.  Also not what we should be training with, look forward to better teams.  

I agree that its not a strategy vs better teams but im curious about cheap goals. 

In WCQ we played it vs:
Mexico 2-1 where they scored in the 90th off a cross where we had 10 of our players in the box. 
USA: 1-1 Kennedy gets the ball taken from him, they counter and cross it behind henry and kennedy who are caught ball watching. 
Honduras: 2-0
Honduras: 1-1 Buchanan forgets to track his man in a give and go and then takes him down for a PK 

I dont think we gave up any cheap goals in a 3-4-3.