CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

image.png.84261d90c705a5a5ae1033d27e30555d.png
Does anyone know who the player in the green pinny is? Taken from Cornelius’ Instagram. 

Looks a bit like Emmanuel Twumasi from FC Dallas, but I have no idea what the connection to the MNT would be other than he's already in Dallas and may be there to make up the numbers in training.

16 hours ago, Kent said:

Speaking of penalties. Do we know if there will be extra time in the event of a draw? Or straight to penalties?

5 hours ago, Kent said:

Do you have a source or is that just your assumption? I would guess that as well, but CONCACAF has been known to skip extra time in some of their competitions.

5 hours ago, ensco said:

If this is tied after 90, do they play 30 more, or go straight to PKs?

(Sorry for repeat question, I have searched on here and didn’t find the answer.)

I can't find specific regulations for the Play-In series. The Nations League regulations and the Copa America regulations make reference to them, but neither one seems to spell out what happens in case of a draw. The Nations League regs do say that if there was a draw in the quarter-finals after two legs, or in the semis or finals, that the match goes to extra time and then PKs. I would assume then that the Play-In series follows this, but I can't find specific proof.

Curiously, at the Copa America, only the finals themselves go to extra time then PKs. All other knock out matches go straight to PKs.

3 hours ago, Bigandy said:

In one of the one soccer preview videos, Oliver mentions something along the lines of, "its crazy but I'm of the opinion that the copa will actually be good for the CSA contrary to what some people are saying". 

Sportsnet 650 this morning had a preview of the game with CBCs Ben Steiner, and when the topic of Copa funding came up it was basically "yeah, the TSN article leaves out a few details" and explained the situation a bit more.

1 hour ago, El Diego said:

I can't find specific regulations for the Play-In series. The Nations League regulations and the Copa America regulations make reference to them, but neither one seems to spell out what happens in case of a draw. The Nations League regs do say that if there was a draw in the quarter-finals after two legs, or in the semis or finals, that the match goes to extra time and then PKs. I would assume then that the Play-In series follows this, but I can't find specific proof.

Curiously, at the Copa America, only the finals themselves go to extra time then PKs. All other knock out matches go straight to PKs.

Is that to preserve timing on double-headers, or something?

I personally don't like it, I love the epic of only getting to penalties after 120 minutes, as a final resort, when either team could have deservedly won.

9 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

But also should we qualify then our schedule of games:

- June 20th, 2024- Canada 🇨🇦 vs Argentina 🇦🇷 (reigning Copa America & World Cup champions) (Atlanta)

June 25th, 2024- Canada 🇨🇦 vs Peru 🇵🇪 (Kansas City)

June 29th, 2024- Canada 🇨🇦 vs Chile 🇨🇱 (Orlando)

Game times still TBD

Voice is Messi is going for the Olympics apparently and Inter Miami made him choose one of the two , the same as Mbappe ,  Madrid said the Olympics or EuroCoppa. 

1 hour ago, Watchmen said:

Sportsnet 650 this morning had a preview of the game with CBCs Ben Steiner, and when the topic of Copa funding came up it was basically "yeah, the TSN article leaves out a few details" and explained the situation a bit more.

If you have the link can you post it. Sounds interesting!

58 minutes ago, JAVIERF said:

Voice is Messi is going for the Olympics apparently and Inter Miami made him choose one of the two , the same as Mbappe ,  Madrid said the Olympics or EuroCoppa. 

There goes the chance for huge ticket gouging in COPA.  But nevertheless they will keep this a secret for as long as possible 

4 minutes ago, Ruud said:

There goes the chance for huge ticket gouging in COPA.  But nevertheless they will keep this a secret for as long as possible 

That same line of thinking is coming out of a lot of clubs: choose between the Olympics and Euros or Copa, but not both. We are hearing it for our young stars at Barça, to avoid burnout.

I think it's fair, and there is evidence playing two major tournaments and not resting, if you have a summer break or not, can have negative consequences for health. Then many players have hangovers after major NT tournaments.

I'm surprised the contract for Copa America does not include Messi. 

Argentina play Olympics the 24th in St Etienne, the 27th in Lyon and the 30th in Lyon.

8 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

That same line of thinking is coming out of a lot of clubs: choose between the Olympics and Euros or Copa, but not both. We are hearing it for our young stars at Barça, to avoid burnout.

I think it's fair, and there is evidence playing two major tournaments and not resting, if you have a summer break or not, can have negative consequences for health. Then many players have hangovers after major NT tournaments.

Argentina play Olympics the 24th in St Etienne, the 27th in Lyon and the 30th in Lyon.

Atlanta is suddenly affordable 

48 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm surprised he chose Olympics over Copa. At first I thought it was because he hadn't won it before, but then remembered he won it in 2008.