CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

5 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Exactly, you don't have to share everything with your spouse and they don't have to come along or engage. Sometimes it is also better to not even share your emotional engagement with the sport, it really does not benefit anything.

Recently I asked my wife why she was so interested in the scandals with the Spanish women's team but had never cared to see them play or paid a dime to support them? And the result was we went to a good women's game, in a packed stadium, but only because I shamed her into it. 

When I met my wife, from a family of guys all hardcore Barcelona fans, I asked her to name one player, and she said Pirri, who played for Real Madrid in the 60s and 70s. I was shocked, then she explained: when she was a kid her neighbour had a big dog named Pirri and she used to ride it. That's what we deal with. 

For all my comments about escalation, it should be pointed out that my wife actually enjoys the trip aspect but not really the soccer itself. We had a great time in Qatar (until we got covid). Ditto Vegas. I enjoyed the Taylor Swift concert, even though i'm fairly indifferent on the music. I suspect Mean Girls musical will be funny too. We also are going to the Sharks-Blackhawks game right afterwards (I'm a Hawks fan). You can have it both ways. 

BTW, my wife thought that the Miami Dolphins were a fictional team made up for Ace Ventura. If only she had known that years later her sundays in the fall would revolve around trying to cheer up her husband who is curled up in a ball crying because the Miami Dolphins dolphins'd all over themselves again.

And yes, being a fan of the Miami Dolphins, Chicago Blackhawks, and CanMNT is not good for my mental health.

35 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

For all my comments about escalation, it should be pointed out that my wife actually enjoys the trip aspect but not really the soccer itself. We had a great time in Qatar (until we got covid). Ditto Vegas. I enjoyed the Taylor Swift concert, even though i'm fairly indifferent on the music. I suspect Mean Girls musical will be funny too. We also are going to the Sharks-Blackhawks game right afterwards (I'm a Hawks fan). You can have it both ways. 

BTW, my wife thought that the Miami Dolphins were a fictional team made up for Ace Ventura. If only she had known that years later her sundays in the fall would revolve around trying to cheer up her husband who is curled up in a ball crying because the Miami Dolphins dolphins'd all over themselves again.

And yes, being a fan of the Miami Dolphins, Chicago Blackhawks, and CanMNT is not good for my mental health.

You got 3 Cups in the last 10 years man, come on! 😂

I use that with my Steelers, making up for my undying love of all things CMNT and Leafs. 😔

Edited by Ivan
Added emoji

1 hour ago, maplebanana said:

Well if it's any consolation, it sounds like you picked a good wife.  Now on the other hand, your sports teams.......

Would just like to point out that the Steelers, Bills and Falcons have all gone at least to the conference championship (some super bowl) in the last 2 decades. Dolphins haven't won a playoff game since the Clinton administration. It's the longest active streak in the NFL for playoff futility. 

Blackhawks had a great run; I will concede that.

CanMNT... we had a great June 2021 - March 2022. Sigh. 

Anyway, sorry to derail the thread. But Canada had better win on Saturday or I'll have triple sports sadness. 

So back to the soccer game this Saturday...the guys on One Soccer think Bombito will start and while Crepeau is the consensus in goal it's been over 2 yrs since he played for  the CMNT. Think it was vs Panama in WCQ.  Biello may have to keep things simple at the back. Crepeau has played with a back 3 & 4, but Portland use a back 4. Anyone know what LAFC used last season?

43 minutes ago, Obinna said:

A bit disappointed for Alphonso but this kind of feels right at the same time. Also, I am not convinced Alphonso has the maturity for the captaincy at this stage of his career. He definitely has the big game experience, but I think Eustaquio is probably the right call. 

I agree but it has to be staq. 

Davies would only get in based on star power. We can even argue that the teams most success has been during wcq when he was injured. Without staq we crumble. 

Options for captain 
Piette - Vet and a leadership figure... not even a squad guarantee though, let alone starter. Not good enough as a player or captain to truly deserve it.
Johnston - I feel people say this because hes likable in the media. Not really my choice as I dont see him as a captain.
Miller - has experience and is in our 11 but thats about the only reason
larin - same as miller but a better player
david - star power. 
davies - star power
Staq - most important player to CMNT. Organizes, controls the tempo of our games, experienced, top player. 

5 hours ago, maplebanana said:

Lifelong hawks fan too. We are not hard done by come on! Remember 2003-04 when we were relying on Arnason, Bell and Calder to be our future core … then lost the draft lottery and drafted Cam Barker right after Ovie and Malkin! All in the midst of a 43 year cup drought. 3 cups later and now Bedard… we’re living in paradise compared to the past. 

Edited by CanadaFan123

I am fine with Davies being freed up to just play, and do his thing, and if it means a bit of hero-ball I'll even take it. I like Davies as our slash and burn man, just focus on that. And then Staq gets to worry about having those little chats with ref. Apart from being in the middle of the park where the role can be meaningful.

20 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Maybe Biello thinks that making Davies captain tone down his hero ball and make him more of a team player.

Totally unrelated but Biello also has to make a call on the in-game penalty taker so there's absolutely no discussion after a PK decision on who steps up.

You don't think they are preparing 5 penalty-takers, and the order?

I know, a painful thought, hope we don't make it that far.