CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

5 hours ago, costarg said:

This is it.  We started well vs Jamaica, good formation, David was playing deep.  Then everyone abandoned the plan, arrogance kicked in, people bombed up and started going for glory, and that was that.  

Little bit of a disservice to Jamaica.  They saw their weakness and one of ours they could exploit (not enough options in midfield).  They made a sub and attacked that.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Little bit of a disservice to Jamaica.  They saw their weakness and one of ours they could exploit (not enough options in midfield).  They made a sub and attacked that.

A little perhaps, but up 3-1 in aggregate going into the 2nd half and playing at home that collapse was a tactical failure. There should have been an adjustment for the start of the 2nd. Jamaica has quality up front but that still doesn't excuse how Biello approached the 2nd half.

1 hour ago, Kadenge said:

A little perhaps, but up 3-1 in aggregate going into the 2nd half and playing at home that collapse was a tactical failure. There should have been an adjustment for the start of the 2nd. Jamaica has quality up front but that still doesn't excuse how Biello approached the 2nd half.

One does not exclude the other, we could have made our own adjustments. 

My point was: it was not just us being arrogant.  Ours to lose but they did things to win it. 

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

One does not exclude the other, we could have made our own adjustments. 

My point was: it was not just us being arrogant.  Ours to lose but they did things to win it. 

They brought into midfield an extra player who began blowing things up (Lowe) and the coaching staff dithered on the tactical adjustments needed to deal with it, which is why I am leery about how the game management decisions may look in this one.

3 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

They brought into midfield an extra player who began blowing things up (Lowe) and the coaching staff dithered on the tactical adjustments needed to deal with it, which is why I am leery about how the game management decisions may look in this one.

I agree.  My orginal point was about giving them credit for their changes.  We would have deserved the same credit if we had adjusted as well. We didn't.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just found out that my bro is throwing his wife a bday party that absolutely conflicts with this game.  FFS  

I would prefer not to watch this game on PVR but I am not sure this is avoidable.  Maybe I will get lucky and contract the vapours.  

Smart phone one soccer app? I’ve shamelessly streamed a game or two at events that way. 

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

Just found out that my bro is throwing his wife a bday party that absolutely conflicts with this game.  FFS  

I would prefer not to watch this game on PVR but I am not sure this is avoidable.  Maybe I will get lucky and contract the vapours.  

I've still got my positive covid test photo if you need.  Feel free to DM me if needed....

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I am going to be at a Mean Girls live musical in downtown San Jose from about HT of this game onwards. I'm going to need text updates from my friends. 

I dragged my wife to Qatar. Then we went to Taylor Swift. Then we went to nations league finals. I guess this is the natural escalation if I want to go to WC2026. 

37 minutes ago, maplebanana said:

I am going to be at a Mean Girls live musical in downtown San Jose from about HT of this game onwards. I'm going to need text updates from my friends. 

I dragged my wife to Qatar. Then we went to Taylor Swift. Then we went to nations league finals. I guess this is the natural escalation if I want to go to WC2026. 

Mean Girls...I commend you.

This is why it's important to maintain friendships so you don't have to be compelled to do these things.... and you don't have to drag her along to watch boring soccer. 

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Spoken like a bachelor.  

Ive actually been married for over several years with kids thank you very much lol. 

My wife just doesn't like sports, and I'm okay with her not caring or not having to share THOSE experiences or explain those feelings that can't be explained with her...I couldn't imagine trying to sell her on going to Alberta in -30 weather to watch guys kick the ball around outside "but it's for the World Cup"..." her- So they can do it next year"...🫨

Soooo I get to enjoy them with my brother, my longtime teammates and friends and all our wives understand that "this" existed before them. 😉

10 hours ago, Shway said:

Ive actually been married for over several years with kids thank you very much lol. 

My wife just doesn't like sports, and I'm okay with her not caring or not having to share THOSE experiences or explain those feelings that can't be explained with her...I couldn't imagine trying to sell her on going to Alberta in -30 weather to watch guys kick the ball around outside "but it's for the World Cup"..." her- So they can do it next year"...🫨

Soooo I get to enjoy them with my brother, my longtime teammates and friends and all our wives understand that "this" existed before them. 😉

Exactly, you don't have to share everything with your spouse and they don't have to come along or engage. Sometimes it is also better to not even share your emotional engagement with the sport, it really does not benefit anything.

Recently I asked my wife why she was so interested in the scandals with the Spanish women's team but had never cared to see them play or paid a dime to support them? And the result was we went to a good women's game, in a packed stadium, but only because I shamed her into it. 

When I met my wife, from a family of guys all hardcore Barcelona fans, I asked her to name one player, and she said Pirri, who played for Real Madrid in the 60s and 70s. I was shocked, then she explained: when she was a kid her neighbour had a big dog named Pirri and she used to ride it. That's what we deal with. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

14 hours ago, Shway said:

My spouse is a good sport. She'll come to the big games, but has had no interest in vacations that revolve around soccer so If if I can slip out for cheeky weekend away trip, then we are both happy. Although she is open to the Vancouver group stage games and has already committed to Spain.Portugal, Morocco 2030!

I think she's coming around.😃

23 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

I'm guessing that he's not a soccer fan?