CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

2 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I would go with the lineup on the bottom

I was pretty certain of a 3-5-2 prior to oso's injury. Now I think its going to be 4-4-2 with the lineup above or a 3-4-2-1. 

Miller Cornelius Bombito 
Davies staq kone Johnston 
Buchanan David 
Larin 

Although millar is for sure an option for larin so that we have a more balanced attack. Or buchanan takes johnstons spot and millar comes in. 

I have a hard time seeing choiniere, fraser, or piette starting so I now think itll be a 2 man midfield. 

On 3/16/2024 at 8:07 AM, narduch said:

He could move to MLS in the summer and end up out performing the other guys.

He's always been error prone but he was a key reason we made the World Cup 

Crepeau was more than admirable in his matches - basically man for man our qualifying was stunning - there were no free riders.  Oh the memories 

I am spitballin' that it will be a back four of Davies and the Montreal guys/alumni (Miller, Waterman, Johnston) in front of Crepeau.  Millar in front of Davies, Eustaquio and Koné in centre, Buchanan wide right, Larin and David up top for this match.

My prediction lacks the gravitas of @MtlMario's crystal ball, and I would not put any mortgage payment sized bets on my prognostications, @Ivan, but I will still put this hand inplay.

I mostly agree with that lineup @BearcatSA.  Maybe Cornelius for Waterman, but I have no problem with Waterman starting given how he's started the season.

Initially, I thought a 3-5-2 would be used with Piette in as a destroyer, but T & T is going to bunker and counter so I agree with the more offensive-minded 4-4-2.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I am spitballin' that it will be a back four of Davies and the Montreal guys/alumni (Miller, Waterman, Johnston) in front of Crepeau.  Millar in front of Davies, Eustaquio and Koné in centre, Buchanan wide right, Larin and David up top for this match.

My prediction lacks the gravitas of @MtlMario's crystal ball, and I would not put any mortgage payment sized bets on my prognostications, @Ivan, but I will still put this hand inplay.

Yes! This please!

1 hour ago, Ivan said:

I mostly agree with that lineup @BearcatSA.  Initially, I thought a 3-5-2 would be used with Piette in as a destroyer, but T & T is going to bunker and counter so I agree with the more offensive-minded 4-4-2.

My biggest concern is what this opponent  is like on the counter, so we really need to be smart about our attacking initiative and not get doinked off the break because too many guys get caught upfield playing hero ball.

1 hour ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't think you call up no fullback backups, if that's how you are planning to play. 

In more of a judgement call,  I don't think you keep playing formations with 2 in the midfield, even in games you should be able to overpower the opposition.  We have to prepare for the kind of better teams that have beat us since qualifying. You can drop Larin and go 433/451 maybe but again, the squad doesn't look selected for that (for example lots of strikers.) 

4 hours ago, Bigandy said:

I was pretty certain of a 3-5-2 prior to oso's injury. Now I think its going to be 4-4-2 with the lineup above or a 3-4-2-1. 

Miller Cornelius Bombito 
Davies staq kone Johnston 
Buchanan David 
Larin 

Although millar is for sure an option for larin so that we have a more balanced attack. Or buchanan takes johnstons spot and millar comes in. 

I have a hard time seeing choiniere, fraser, or piette starting so I now think itll be a 2 man midfield. 

I can see this being a potential lineup

These 3-4-3's formation suggestions seem like they are being made just to get one player on at the expense of our middle being exposed...once again. I rather the middle be compensated with additional protection than be susceptible to being exploited. 

However, I love everyones backline pairings, and think it's one for the future.

-----------------Crepeau-------------------
------Bombito------Corneilius-----Miller
------------------Piette-----------------------
Davies-----Kone----------Staq------Buchanan
--------------David------Larin-------------

Further point, I don't think I've seen any team recently deploy a 3-4-3. Nevermind the fact that none of our guys play in that system, and a lot play in the 3-5-2.

4-2-3-1 I would suspect is our only other option but even still we are limited in options.

---------------------Crepeau-------------------
Johnston------Bombito------Corneilius-----Davies
-----------------Kone-----------Staq
Buchanan-------------David-------------------Millar
-----------------------Larin----------------------

1 minute ago, Shway said:

These 3-4-3's formation suggestions seem like they are being made just to get one player on at the expense of our middle being exposed...once again. I rather the middle be compensated with additional protection than be susceptible to being exploited. 

Further point, I don't think I've seen any team recently deploy a 3-4-3. Nevermind the fact that none of our guys play in that system, and a lot play in the 3-5-2.

4-2-3-1 I would suspect is our only other option but even still we are limited in options.

4-2-3-1 also is more practical 

49 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

In more of a judgement call,  I don't think you keep playing formations with 2 in the midfield, even in games you should be able to overpower the opposition.  We have to prepare for the kind of better teams that have beat us since qualifying. You can drop Larin and go 433/451 maybe but again, the squad doesn't look selected for that (for example lots of strikers.) 

I don't necessarily disagree with your points here. I would much rather have a template of three bonafide centre mids with one of them being a true defensive one in the grouping.  And you're right in that the original selection, considering the absences of Laryea and Adekugbe, leans toward a three in the back set up.  I just feel that if something goes off script with personnel for them, they might simply switch to a back three and then go from there.

Edited by BearcatSA

6 minutes ago, Shway said:

CMNT played 3-4-3 in WCQ matches (hondorous X2, mexico, USA).

Lots of teams play a 3-4-3/3-4-2-1. City play this (although lots of moving parts and it morphs into all sorts of formations. 

I also agree that a 3 man midfield is desirable but I am making predictions on biellos line up, not my personal preference. Playing 4-4-2 vs jamaica makes me think biello has no issue with a 2 man midfield. Our options for balance is piette/bombito at CDM or david at CAM which is pretty much a 4-4-1-1. Choiniere could play cm but I find that a less likely option. 

7 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I don't necessarily disagree with your points here. I would much rather have a template of three bonafide centre mids with one of them being a true defensive one in the grouping.  And you're right in that the original selection, considering the absences of Laryea and Adekugbe, leans toward a three in the back set up.  I just that if something goes off script with personnel for them, they might simply switch to a back three and then go from there.

3 at the back is not the easiest system to play ( unless you are just using it as an excuse to play 5 at the back). 

So I think there is validity to the argument that you play it regularly, especially with a national team that doesn't play that much.

I agree we need to find that 3rd lock midfielder. Kone has the most usual tools to be the defensive one but I'm not sure he is willing and you waste a lot. For me that's obviously not Osorio even before the injury. Piette feels like  the spirit is willing but the physicality is not there at a high level. Choniere is pretty small, which usually means you need lightning pace for that role.

I guess I understand trying Bombito there because he seems comfortable on the ball.

what if u play Bombito in the centre cb in a more advanced holding midfield role to protect staq and one...(in a back 3)...

i'm a bit biased  😛 on Liam getting into the team he's started and played probably the most of any cmnt player(maybe Johnny has played more) at the moment(all be it in the Champ) has 10 goal involvements (5 goals and 5 assists in 30 games) and is match fit and on form... but I know its complicated and hard to get the balance right..

Don't envy that job..

What ever time he gets I know he will give it all..

3 minutes ago, spitfire said:

what if u play Bombito in the centre cb in a more advanced holding midfield role to protect staq and one...(in a back 3)...

i'm a bit biased  😛 on Liam getting into the team he's started and played probably the most of any cmnt player(maybe Johnny has played more) at the moment(all be it in the Champ) has 10 goal involvements (5 goals and 5 assists in 30 games) and is match fit and on form... but I know its complicated and hard to get the balance right..

Don't envy that job..

....and he's done it all in the LWB position! 
The challenge is, in a 352 he's competing with Canada's best player or Tajon if Davies plays inverted. 

50 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Don't envy that job..

Don't think T&T have many players at the Championship level or above, no? Liam should be able to carve them up if he starts considering how he looks at Preston.

2 hours ago, BearcatSA said:

My biggest concern is what this opponent  is like on the counter, so we really need to be smart about our attacking initiative and not get doinked off the break because too many guys get caught upfield playing hero ball.

This is it.  We started well vs Jamaica, good formation, David was playing deep.  Then everyone abandoned the plan, arrogance kicked in, people bombed up and started going for glory, and that was that.