CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

2 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Seriously, this is one of the stupidest takes I've ever come across on this board, and we all know there have been some doozies in the past. The fact that you're clinging onto it like grim death so many months later staggers me.

People need scapegoats. For me, unless a player is throwing a game for money, I'll accept they can make amazing bonehead mistakes and understand its a team sport. And move on. You can't cite a single goalkeeping error in the entire qualifying campaign, not even in subzero weather or extreme heat, Borjan had a dozen solid games. Even the Belgium goal in Qatar could be understood as "we missed a penalty that would have allowed us to sit in a lower block and not be exposed on the counter".

I recall a Barça match vs Liverpool where Kluivert deliberately put his hand up to a ball in the box, penalty, we're out of the Europa League. Suspicious and absurd. But I doubt any fan dwells on that at all, maybe because it wasn't the only chance we ever had to win a trophy. 

This idea we're punishing players is like out of some Dickens novel about the cruel schoolmaster having it in for this or that kid. But here the fans go for the vengeful sadist mode.

3 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Who says Borjan won’t be around in 2026? He’ll be 38, which wouldn’t be that old truthfully and especially for a backup or 3rd string. 

Yeah. He'll still be an option, as long as he's playing at a decent level. There are plenty of younger GKs who are at a similar level and I'd prefer giving them a shot.

But Borjan could be a great guy to call if we need a last-minute and experienced third-string replacement. Of course, we'll see how Sirois and St. Clair continue to develop, but it would be nice to have Borjan around just in case. 

4 minutes ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Yeah. He'll still be an option, as long as he's playing at a decent level. There are plenty of younger GKs who are at a similar level and I'd prefer giving them a shot.

But Borjan could be a great guy to call if we need a last-minute and experienced third-string replacement. Of course, we'll see how Sirois and St. Clair continue to develop, but it would be nice to have Borjan around just in case. 

I just think in terms of a 3rd keeper you can afford to bring a leader then they can serve more of a purpose. We haven’t had a player more passionate than Borjan - the man has the Canada logo tattooed on him ffs.

Just now, CanadaFan123 said:

I just think in terms of a 3rd keeper you can afford to bring a leader then they can serve more of a purpose. We haven’t had a player more passionate than Borjan - the man has the Canada logo tattooed on him ffs.

Hard to argue with that. He's been through thick and thin. And at one point, many of us were very relieved to have him in net. In terms of pure quality, we have many comparable guys now. But I agree. His history, passion and experience can't be ignored. I still think we go with the best three keepers available in 2026. That could include Borjan, but if not, he would be top of mind as a replacement to cover unforseen injuries. 

7 hours ago, Obinna said:

In all seriousness, I really do understand you don't have it out for Osorio, just in the same way you don't have it out for Vitoria, you just want to see the best version of Canada possible, which we all share. 

This is it. We have to acknowledge when there are better players in our pool who can basically add a similar or better level of skill and are much younger. It's nothing against the old guard. They will always have been key to qualifying for 2022.

But as professionals, they should understand when it's time to pass the torch. And right now, there are so many amazing players coming through, it really would be out of pure favouritism to select similar skill-level players whose days are numbered due to age. It does nothing for the team's growth. 

42 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Who says Borjan won’t be around in 2026? He’ll be 38, which wouldn’t be that old truthfully and especially for a backup or 3rd string. 

He could move to MLS in the summer and end up out performing the other guys.

He's always been error prone but he was a key reason we made the World Cup 

9 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Seriously, this is one of the stupidest takes I've ever come across on this board, and we all know there have been some doozies in the past. The fact that you're clinging onto it like grim death so many months later staggers me.

So same for the media and pod cast guys then, huh?  It was all over the media dude.  You've never played competitive sports if you think that didn't give Jamaica the extra umph.  It was the second stupidest thing after Herdman's "Fuck Croatia". 

It's fine if YOU think it isn't at least a part of the decision to move on from him, you're entitled to an opinion regardless of how much it ignores the reality of the situation.  Bottom line, between that and the other points, there was very little doubt he'd be left off this squad with a healthy Crepeau.  Several called right after the Jamaica match and here we are.

On my end, I might even pick up a pair of grey sweat pants and make them a part of my CANMNT match ritual in honor of one the coolest, funnest and baddest guys to wear the shirt.

3 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

...Okay so you're about to turn 38, or just over the age and you're having a hard time realizing you're getting old. 
But hey! they say now "40 is the new 30" 😂

6 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

This idea we're punishing players is like out of some Dickens novel about the cruel schoolmaster having it in for this or that kid. But here the fans go for the vengeful sadist mode.

"Punishing"?  How is building for the future and calling up younger players who show more promise "punishing"?  Seriously?

I usually post while multi-tasking and try to do it quick.  Sometimes reread, usually not.  Perhaps I should take a queue from Obinna and be a little more polite and PC and less direct/dry.  Noted, i'll make an effort.  

Just to be clear, there is no animosity towards Borjan, Vitoria and especially Osorio.  They're freakin hero's, my point of view is just there is no one player bigger than the squad.  I don't feel leaving an older guy off the squad for a newer guy that is playing great is disrespectful. 

3 hours ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

This is it. We have to acknowledge when there are better players in our pool who can basically add a similar or better level of skill and are much younger. It's nothing against the old guard. They will always have been key to qualifying for 2022.

But as professionals, they should understand when it's time to pass the torch. And right now, there are so many amazing players coming through, it really would be out of pure favouritism to select similar skill-level players whose days are numbered due to age. It does nothing for the team's growth. 

It's wild that this even had to be posted and not automatically implied and understood.

18 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Is there any chance Larin does not start?   He’s not having a good season with just 2 goals on an Xg of close to 8 in league play.  He has a total of 6 in 33.   

Definitely a chance.  Depends if Biello wants to send that kind of message and also on the formation he chooses.

9 minutes ago, costarg said:

Definitely a chance.  Depends if Biello wants to send that kind of message and also on the formation he chooses.

I'm all in with Larin, watching his games, but I would not mind a 4-4-2 with Davies up high on the right, inverted, working with David. But I don't think Biello will do this, we'll have both David and Larin starting. He'll figure we need Larin's size.

It would not be bad to go more solid at the back, and in the middle, considering we are not fully confident with a single CB right now. Instead of slanting the entire side forward, start solid at the back. 

On 3/9/2024 at 1:59 PM, JamboAl said:

No one.  And even if they have, they should not admit it.  The Soca Warriors are monitoring this board for material.

No disrespect intended against Trinidad and Tobago but I wanted to sort that stuff early so I got mine already. Worst comes to worst, I get to see an Argentina match. However, best case scenario, I see the boys victorious over the defending World Cup champs.

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm all in with Larin, watching his games, but I would not mind a 4-4-2 with Davies up high on the right, inverted, working with David. But I don't think Biello will do this, we'll have both David and Larin starting. He'll figure we need Larin's size.

It would not be bad to go more solid at the back, and in the middle, considering we are not fully confident with a single CB right now. Instead of slanting the entire side forward, start solid at the back. 

It's funny, cause i'm all for Davies at LB, but part of me thinks back so fondly to that match vs USA where he and David caused so much havoc and headaches to their defense just running wild.  I could totally go for more of that.  Could totally see them completely scrambling and changing their formation to counter it.  The beautiful part of using this vs the US now, would be Berhalter having absolutely no answer.  

For me it's Davies at LB, then striker (just to freak the shit out of the opponent), then at LW.  Anywhere but the midfield-libero-hero role Herdman occasionally put him in.

Any guesses at what we might see from T&T lineup wise? I’m trying to imagine what a best XI might look like but looking at their pool it seems they inexplicably left some guys out. The selection suggests to me that they’re going to try to basically pick up where they left off against the states in their last match and roll out the 5-4-1 but their team will be a little stronger with Garcia and Fortune coming in.