CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

2 hours ago, GasPed said:

Yeah, I feel the jury is still out on Bombito as a true CB - I think he has all the tools, and I would be ecstatic if he could be our next Vitoria, but he's still pretty new to the position.

I thought it was the other way around - CB was his position, but Herdman saw more potential as a defensive mid.  Didn't he always play CB with his club?

32 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Respectfully, if anything, to me,  the roster says the oppostion.  There are 2 (if we include Davies who never really plays there for Canada) fullbacks, you don't go into a game with no backups for two positions. 

Buchanan is currently being drilled in one of the best and most consistent 352 formations in the world, we know Davies offers more than how Tuchel uses him. 

442 gets destroyed by good teams pretty regularly. We can't be training in it, in my opinion, again.

Agreed, only issue is CANMNT's natural fit is 4 at the back with wingers.   4-5-1 (4-1-4-1 / 4-2-3-1) would be a good compromise and balance.

3-5-2 gives us only two wingers which is probably our deepest and strongest position.  Major traffic jam for: Davies, Tajon, Laryea, Johnston, Adekugbe, Millar, Corbeanu, Schnuffelenburgsterino, etc...  That's unfortunate.

But makes sense for this game.

37 minutes ago, jhoops__ said:

Theo just hasn’t played enough…

Shaffelburg has played 300 minutes between MLS and CONCACAF in 2024 vs. Corbeanu's 90.  Corbeanu's in La Liga, with a goal against Villarreal, coming off a pretty strong first half of the season in the Swiss league.  

IMO the argument for him not playing much is weak.  The formation probably also doesn't do him any favors.  I find it very troubling that a lot of our fan's seem to comfortable with the logic that minutes in MLS mean's more than players playing in arguably the strongest league in the world and having to compete day in day out with a much higher caliber of talent just for minutes on the field as well as playing every weekend under extreme pressure (relegation).  By the way, even if they are relegated and playing La Liga 2 next season, he'll be in a club playing every weekend with the pressures and expectations of getting promoted, that in itself is a much more challenging environment than the MLS.

I also feel that MacNaughton and McGraw (personally not a big fan) were hard done.  Both playing for good sides, Lukas plays for one of the best defensive teams in the league and is clearly a starter.  I get that LDF is an exciting young player for us because he's attached to an EPL team but he's playing U21 football and that's no where near 1st team level.  He's not going to play in this game, he's not currently playing bigger matches that these two, and he's not being called to England either so the argument that he's a dual-national panic is a bit farfetched.  Players should be called on merit I feel, we are in a position where the national team should only be thinking about winning matches and calling the players playing at the highest level possible.

5 minutes ago, Footyeh said:

Shaffelburg has played 300 minutes between MLS and CONCACAF in 2024 vs. Corbeanu's 90.  Corbeanu's in La Liga, with a goal against Villarreal, coming off a pretty strong first half of the season in the Swiss league.  

IMO the argument for him not playing much is weak.  The formation probably also doesn't do him any favors.  I find it very troubling that a lot of our fan's seem to comfortable with the logic that minutes in MLS mean's more than players playing in arguably the strongest league in the world and having to compete day in day out with a much higher caliber of talent just for minutes on the field as well as playing every weekend under extreme pressure (relegation).  By the way, even if they are relegated and playing La Liga 2 next season, he'll be in a club playing every weekend with the pressures and expectations of getting promoted, that in itself is a much more challenging environment than the MLS.

Another detail is that Granada had one match postponed, so he's played in 3 of 4 possible matches.

It's either an arrangement or a slight and if the latter, hopefully the next coach fixes things.

35 minutes ago, costarg said:

Agreed, only issue is CANMNT's natural fit is 4 at the back with wingers.   4-5-1 (4-1-4-1 / 4-2-3-1) would be a good compromise and balance.

3-5-2 gives us only two wingers which is probably our deepest and strongest position.  Major traffic jam for: Davies, Tajon, Laryea, Johnston, Adekugbe, Millar, Corbeanu, Schnuffelenburgsterino, etc...  That's unfortunate.

But makes sense for this game.

I don't accept your premise. Two of best players for years have been strikers, we now have 3 in great form and 5 called up. There is nothing natural about leaving so many of them out if we have to win a game.  We are unbalanced, of course, in talent levels at different postions, that is going to be true in any formation. 

A 451 only has two wingers as well.  We are not actually blessed with an abundance of fullbacks, as this roster shows with a couple of injuries. Three decent level ones, when healthy, if you want to push Davies up, I am assuming. Buchanan was brought to his club to play wingback not winger, so was Millar.

Not every player is going to get to play so you play the best ones and if they do a better job than the other options outside their "natural" position then you do that. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

5 minutes ago, spitfire said:

3-4-3...

I understand that and it can be great to watch.  But I honestly think that in the World Cup and since, only have two in midfield has hurt us as much as centre back struggles.  If we had massive physical players who can also move the ball consistently, maybe.  But we don't. (Maybe Kone at some point?)

I hate wing backs..think its counter-productive and most teams are moving away from it... i think the 343 can work with the right players in place.. and having an advanced cb almost in the 6...

Trying to find a way to have Davies at LB and Millar in front of him(or vice-versa)..a bit selfish I know but I think Liam's work rate and defensive responsibility would give Davies  more freedom to roam and get forward and I think that makes the left side lethal...not to mention Tajon on the right..

2 minutes ago, spitfire said:

Trying to find a way to have Davies at LB and Millar in front of him(or vice-versa)..a bit selfish I know but I think Liam's work rate and defensive responsibility would give Davies  more freedom to roam and get forward and I think that makes the left side lethal...not to mention Tajon on the right..

This.  I think having an inverted winger to play off and complement Davies is crucial and I think Liam's the guy.  But I also really believe we need to play with a true d-mid to "mind the store" for both these guys as well others when we push up the field, so it is still a question of formation and which personnel get chosen to start or left out.

30 minutes ago, spitfire said:

I hate wing backs..think its counter-productive and most teams are moving away from it... i think the 343 can work with the right players in place.. and having an advanced cb almost in the 6...

Maybe its a difference in terminology but a lot of the good moments I have seen from Liam at PNE have been in the wingback role.  It doesn't need to be a primarily defensive one, there is is room for flair there but it requires a player to be smart and have good pace and fitness.  Which I have seen from him.  

I honestly wish Davies could be trusted with other roles. 

3 hours ago, YorkRegionFan said:

With the selection of this younger squad, it is refreshing to see this bold roster selection by Biello. 

He must see this as a good opportunity to impress the new boss, to select him as the permanent manager. 

It seems with this selection, Biello’s got the Blues.

Edited by An Observer
grammar

I'm challenging this whole change narrative. Where is the change really? We brought in some domestic guys because it's a 1 off game in America. We'll have a new starting goalie and 1 new starting CB. Both guys are late 30s. I'm not trying to kill the good time change vibes but I don't see it.

When we watch the game in the 90 minutes there really won't be much change at all

I'm challenging this whole change narrative. Where is the change really? We brought in some domestic guys because it's a 1 off game in America. We'll have a new starting goalie and 1 new starting CB. Both guys are late 30s. I'm not trying to kill the good time change vibes but I don't see it.

When we watch the game in the 90 minutes there really won't be much change at all