CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

8 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Seriously though, while I think this lineup does reflect our best players and that's fantastic, it also highlights the fact that we're dreadfully thin at the central defender position.  Waterman and Cornelius are the only true CBs in the lineup - as in, middle-of-a-back-4 CBs.  And while they're fine, they're certainly not world-beater defenders.

Bombito has been playing as a CB this year. He has been pretty good too. 90 minutes in every game this year

Screenshot_20240312_124213_FotMob Pro.jpg

13 minutes ago, GasPed said:

No Simon Colyn or Liam Fraser?  Stupid Biello - doesn't know futbol!

Seriously though, while I think this lineup does reflect our best players and that's fantastic, it also highlights the fact that we're dreadfully thin at the central defender position.  Waterman and Cornelius are the only true CBs in the lineup - as in, middle-of-a-back-4 CBs.  And while they're fine, they're certainly not world-beater defenders.

Given that this is a one-off game, I suppose you could put them both on and play a back 4, but I really do think the overall roster basically dictates a back 3 or 5.  Which again is fine, since our best players are everywhere but the middle of the defense.

I guess judging players for a back 4 when as you say we are most likely to play with a 3, might be wasted effort.

I would also add Bombito has played 90' as part a CB pairing in all 3 of his games this year.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I guess judging players for a back 4 when as you say we are most likely to play with a 3, might be wasted effort.

I would also add Bombito has played 90' as part a CB pairing in all 3 of his games this year.

Yeah, I feel the jury is still out on Bombito as a true CB - I think he has all the tools, and I would be ecstatic if he could be our next Vitoria, but he's still pretty new to the position.

Edited by GasPed

Pleasantly surprised with this squad. I just hope Biello has spoken to both Corbeanu & Ahmed and that re Theo it was mutually agreed that it would be best for him to stay with his club and establish himself re more mins. We justifiably talk a lot about how  Tomori was shafted by England, but Theo switched from Romania and he's not getting called. Re Ahmed hoping it's just that he's not match fit, although the goal he scored says otherwise. 

8 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Yeah, I feel the jury is still out on Bombito as a true CB - I think he has all the tools, and I would be be ecstatic if could be our next Vitoria, but he's still pretty new to the position.

Where did he play in college?

I have seen very little of him until recently, but looks like the majority of his appearances (true they were limited) last year were at CB.

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Where did he play in college?

I have seen very little of him until recently, but looks like the majority of his appearances (true they were limited) last year were at CB.

My understanding is hes always played CB. Obviously theres games hes filled in at other positions but his core position since the start of college was at CB

10 minutes ago, GasPed said:

Yeah, I feel the jury is still out on Bombito as a true CB - I think he has all the tools, and I would be ecstatic if he could be our next Vitoria, but he's still pretty new to the position.

Last yr was his first season in MLS and he played mostly as a FB and some CB  iirc but he played as a CB in NCAA. He's never played DM other than in the GC.

1 minute ago, Kadenge said:

Last yr was his first season in MLS and he played mostly as a FB and some CB  iirc but he played as a CB in NCAA. He's never played DM other than in the GC.

Thanks - for some reason I always thought he was CDM converted to CB.  So maybe he is our next Vitoria? 🤞 

Hear me out... 

bombito plays the stones role. 4-4-2 without the ball 3-5-2 with it. 

Miller cornelius bombito AJ 
davies Staq Kone bucanan
larin david

In possession bombito plays CDM to prevent counters and out of possesion he fills in at CB. Bombito's biggest criticism is his turnovers at CDM but against a very weak trinidad midfield, he should be able to keep and recycle possession in a similar way he would at CB. 

Now obviously we dont have the time to work on this tactically, but given our lack of fullbacks, our ability to play 4-4-2 and 3-5-2, the weakness of T and T etc. it seems like this hybrid would be perfect. Bombito is the perfect player for this role as we need pace and height in the back line, but hes arguably our only CB who could pop into midfield to cycle possession and stop counters (LDF?). Interesting thought.  

49 minutes ago, GasPed said:

No Simon Colyn or Liam Fraser?  Stupid Biello - doesn't know futbol!

Given that this is a one-off game, I suppose you could put them both on and play a back 4, but I really do think the overall roster basically dictates a back 3 or 5.  Which again is fine, since our best players are everywhere but the middle of the defense.

Miller, Bombito, De Fougerolles? And we left off other defenders like MacNaughton, Kennedy, McGraw, Vitoria, Heibert, Zator etc. 

Edited by Aird25

Pleasantly surprised with this team. 

Of the omissions:

Borjan over St Clair would be a consideration but I honestly do not know how we could keep Sirois off this squad so someone had to be dropped.

Hoilett was off for nearly 6 months and has just found his team.  He's going to have to contribute a lot going forward just like Bair, if he's to be included in this squad going forward playing at this level.

Vitoria is a bit of a surprise omission, but not really given his form.  I was just surprised as I don't think we have had too many other CB's really step up and the MLS season has just started.

Kaye not really a surprise anymore

Cavallini not really a surprise given Bair & Ugbo's form

Feel a bit bad for Nelson, Brym, Corbeanu, Ahmed, McGraw & MacNaughton but not too many options to remove from who was called up.  I feel you could make an argument for Corbeanu and Ahmed for sure.  It's too bad about Farsi, because he would be a shoe-in for me with Laryea & Adekugbe out.

19 minutes ago, Corazon said:

Pleasantly surprised with this team. 

Of the omissions:

Borjan over St Clair would be a consideration but I honestly do not know how we could keep Sirois off this squad so someone had to be dropped.

Hoilett was off for nearly 6 months and has just found his team.  He's going to have to contribute a lot going forward just like Bair, if he's to be included in this squad going forward playing at this level.

Vitoria is a bit of a surprise omission, but not really given his form.  I was just surprised as I don't think we have had too many other CB's really step up and the MLS season has just started.

Kaye not really a surprise anymore

Cavallini not really a surprise given Bair & Ugbo's form

Feel a bit bad for Nelson, Brym, Corbeanu, Ahmed, McGraw & MacNaughton but not too many options to remove from who was called up.  I feel you could make an argument for Corbeanu and Ahmed for sure.  It's too bad about Farsi, because he would be a shoe-in for me with Laryea & Adekugbe out.

Thanks for saving me making the post :)

9 minutes ago, PopePouri said:

Borjan's keep-ups during the Jamaica game deserves the loss of his place. Onwards with Crepeau.

There's probably a lack of physicality at CB, so I'm hoping Cornelius is a starter somewhere in that backline. 

His gaffe vs Morocco i the World Cupwas the final straw for me