CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

36 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

The defence is interesting to me.

No real left back.  And no McGraw.

So a three with Miller Cornelius and Johnston

Or Bombito in the middle? Pushing Miller out or on the right?

How do we do a back 4?

Looking at the roster, pretty certain he does not have a back 4 in mind.  Not a crazy decision, keeps some continuity in the system but moves on from the old soldiers.

10 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

And JRR....that's 5 strikers. Feel bad for Corbeanu.

JRR over Corbeanu is the one call I can nitpick over.

I know it's not like-for-like, but we already have 4 strikers and for me Russel Rowe is number 5, given the form of Ugbo and Bair.

I guess you could argue calling Schaff AND Corbeanu is overkill with Davies, Millar, Buchanan already in the team, but I would have taken Corbeanu as a 5th wide player, given his contributions in La Liga, and considering he's been out of the mix since the Uruguay friendly almost 2 years ago. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

JRR over Corbeanu is the one call I can nitpick over.

I know it's not like-for-like, but we already have 4 strikers and for me Russel Rowe is number 5, given the form of Ugbo and Bair.

I guess you could argue calling Schaff AND Corbeanu is overkill with Davies, Millar, Buchanan already in the team, but I would have taken Corbeanu as a 5th wide player, given his contributions in La Liga, and considering he's been out of the mix since the Uruguay friendly almost 2 years ago. 

If we need a late goal, you throw on ugbo and bair before JRR. 5 strikers on the field seems wild. 

However, we go 4-4-2 late in the game. Davies and millar fullback shaf and corbeanu wingers. Buchanan subbed out before this scenario happens. I'd say that 5 wingers touching the field is theoretically more likely than 5 strikers. 

Just now, costarg said:

Absolutely love the guy, but I really hope not.  He's smart and athletic enough to play anywhere, but that is not the best or natural fit for him.

He's done well enough there to continue the trend, even though I know what you mean. 

I guess the question is whether we play back 4 or back 3. Either way Johnston is definitely starting the match, especially with no Laryea.

3 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

If we need a late goal, you throw on ugbo and bair before JRR. 5 strikers on the field seems wild. 

However, we go 4-4-2 late in the game. Davies and millar fullback shaf and corbeanu wingers. Buchanan subbed out before this scenario happens. I'd say that 5 wingers touching the field is theoretically more likely than 5 strikers. 

Yup precisely what I was thinking. 

34 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Theo Corbeanu wondering what he has to do to get a recall.  Tough spot though - so deep on wide attacking players.   Recognizing that we simply can’t fit everyone in I love the inclusions. And with no disrespect intended, I love the exclusions.  Biello trying to put his own stamp on things.   Good on him.  We tried the old approach against Jamaica and it didn’t work.  Something something definition of insanity.  Glad to see he had the testicular fortitude to mix it up.    Win or lose I support this squad selection.   

Imagine - Canada not calling up a guy that scored 10 days ago in La Liga.  How far we've come....

6 minutes ago, Bigandy said:

I was surprised they went with all three forwards behind David and Larin.  Did Corbeanu have an injury come up?

Is there a presser with Biello scheduled?

13 minutes ago, costarg said:

Absolutely love the guy, but I really hope not.  He's smart and athletic enough to play anywhere, but that is not the best or natural fit for him.

Again it's a case of getting your best players on the pitch.  If he is not at RCB in a three, he is taking one of our best attackers out of play.

The exception would be 442, which in my opinion does us no good looking forward.

He is the best crosser of the ball we have and you can use that very deceptively as a wide centre back in a 3. And he has looked back to his best lately.

If we had an established RCB, it might a different story. LDF is has the potential to be better, defending, but not there yet.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

No Simon Colyn or Liam Fraser?  Stupid Biello - doesn't know futbol!

Seriously though, while I think this lineup does reflect our best players and that's fantastic, it also highlights the fact that we're dreadfully thin at the central defender position.  Waterman and Cornelius are the only true CBs in the lineup - as in, middle-of-a-back-4 CBs.  And while they're fine, they're certainly not world-beater defenders.

Given that this is a one-off game, I suppose you could put them both on and play a back 4, but I really do think the overall roster basically dictates a back 3 or 5.  Which again is fine, since our best players are everywhere but the middle of the defense.

Just now, GasPed said:

Seriously though, while I think this lineup does reflect our best players and that's fantastic, it also highlights the fact that we're dreadfully thin at the central defender position.

Don't wanna rub salt in the wound, but it's crazy sad how the simple addition of Tomori would make us on par with USA and Mexico starting XI. Really hope LDF becomes a starter in EPL soon. 

Just now, MauditYvon said:

Don't wanna rub salt in the wound, but it's crazy sad how the simple addition of Tomori would make us on par with USA and Mexico starting XI. Really hope LDF becomes a starter in EPL soon. 

I do think LDF has that kind of talent, but I don't think he'll be that true central defender type - he'll be more like RCB in a back 3, just because of his stature.