CNL Play-In for Copa America: Canada vs Trinidad & Tobago - Saturday, March 23, 2024 - Frisco (greater Dallas), Texas

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

Theo Corbeanu wondering what he has to do to get a recall.  Tough spot though - so deep on wide attacking players.   Recognizing that we simply can’t fit everyone in I love the inclusions. And with no disrespect intended, I love the exclusions.  Biello trying to put his own stamp on things.   Good on him.  We tried the old approach against Jamaica and it didn’t work.  Something something definition of insanity.  Glad to see he had the testicular fortitude to mix it up.    Win or lose I support this squad selection.   

Did you just assume his gender? 

But just to add, he may be the interim....but these are the kinda of squad moves I was expecting from someone willing to stay around long. He's making the tough decisions, and I'm interested to see if he'll make them on the field to as well. 

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

What I expect:

-------------Larin----David----------

Davies--------------------------Buchanan (like him better on the left....)

-----------Eustaquio--Kone---------------

------Miller--Waterman--Johnston

---------------Crepeau----------------------

- Bombito and LDF cover for Johnston

- Cornelius cover for Miller or Waterman

- Millar cover for Davies or Buchanan

- Ugbo and/or Bair for the two forwards

- Choniere, Oso, Piette, are the midfield options

whos your 11th?

1 minute ago, Obinna said:

What I expect:

Bold approach but not sure I want to start a man down ;) 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

What I expect:

Did we get an early red?

1 minute ago, Bigandy said:

whos your 11th?

Yup was missing one. Oso for me. We'll not for me, but for me that's what Biello will do. 

I am fine with it, given his big game experience. I would like to see Choniere replace him at some point in the match. 

4 minutes ago, BearcatSA said:

I wonder if Biello sees Bombito more as cover for the d-mid spot behind Kone and Eustaquio?

That will be a big question.  If we go 3-5-2, having a guy who is well schooled in defense as the CDM destroyer would be a good fit and provide solid coverage for the back line.  Throw in Davies and Tajon as outside mids with 2 way responsibilities and we should be solid defensively- especially with David and Larin likely starting the defensive line right from the front with a high press.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

Just now, BearcatSA said:

I don't think that would happen unless the team had a substantial camp because I don't think he has ever played this at pro club level.

Agree....just knowing his abilities it might be a possibility. =

8 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Cornelius needs way more love.  Him left and Bombito right is natural, pacey and not small.  Whether them together is enough positional, I guess would remain to be seen.

I would love this, but they just have not had much of a chance to develop together.  Considering the opponent, it might still be enough.  We have enough firepower there to win 6-3.

1 minute ago, dyslexic nam said:

That will be a big question.  If we go 3-5-2, having a guy who is well schooled in defense as the CDM destroyer would be a got d fit and provide solid coverage for the back line.  Throw in Davies and Tajon as outside mids with 2 way responsibilities and we should be solid defensively- especially with David and Larin likely starting the defensive line fort right from the front with a high press.  

Although i agree with you, Im not sure how we break down a low block. Even if we use oso instead of piette. The states struggled so hard to break down t and t. They have much more creative players. All our attackers use space to create chances or rely on service or dictate tempo from deeper (staq/kone). Itll be interesting to see if we focus on crosses or shifting the backline quickly to create gaps etc. 

7 minutes ago, Obinna said:

...but right now Miller is into the flow of MLS and Cornelius has only played cup matches in Sweden. I think Miller probably has the edge at the moment. 

Fair points Cornelius has played one more competitive game (at a lower level) than Miller so far this year.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

2 minutes ago, Shway said:

I think we can stop saying this now lol.
This squad selection wasn't what anyone was expecting. 

Then the proper answer for WWBD is... David at cam. Ugbo/bair and larin up top. Staq and kone as 8's

1 minute ago, Shway said:

I think we can stop saying this now lol.
This squad selection wasn't what anyone was expecting. 

Fair enough. Maybe we will see Choniere ahead of Oso. Not holding my breath though, even with Biello's "radical" squad selection.

I still think he's a conservative at heart. Part of me feels that him dropping the old guard is part of his bid for being named permanent manager. Will he actually start Choniere though? It's hard for me to see it...

Just now, Bigandy said:

Although i agree with you, Im not sure how we break down a low block. Even if we use oso instead of piette. The states struggled so hard to break down t and t. They have much more creative players. All our attackers use space to create chances or rely on service or dictate tempo from deeper (staq/kone). Itll be interesting to see if we focus on crosses or shifting the backline quickly to create gaps etc. 

I believe we have two great free kick takers in Eustaquio and Choinière, with the first likely to start the game. It's the only part of Vitoria that I will miss.

Just now, Bigandy said:

it’s always going to be tough, but if one formation can do it, it is a 3-5-2.   That is the most front loaded formation we can realistically go with.   If we can’t unlock them using Larin, David, Davies, Tajon,  and attack-minded CMs like Kone and Staq, we are pretty much screwed anyway.   

It’s not news at this point but it’s nice to see LDF still getting calls. He’s bound to play one of these games. Don’t think it’ll be in T&T, but you gotta think that if he’s on what, his 4th call up now? He’s probably going to be on the Copa roster if we win, and will probably play at least one game then.

Just now, Kadenge said:

And JRR....that's 5 strikers. Feel bad for Corbeanu.

JRR is the only selection that i feel pretty confident in saying he isnt there on merit. LDF makes a case but I think his quality is pretty high regardless of his lack of minutes. 

1 minute ago, InglewoodJack said:

It’s not news at this point but it’s nice to see LDF still getting calls. He’s bound to play one of these games. Don’t think it’ll be in T&T, but you gotta think that if he’s on what, his 4th call up now? He’s probably going to be on the Copa roster if we win, and will probably play at least one game then.

Be interesting to see where he fits in.  At this point I think he is too small to play in a pairing.  Johnston and hopefully Bombito are his competition in a three.